LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two tire related questions.

First, I will have different size tires on the back and front. When it comes time to rotate the tires, my only option will be to swap the lefts with the rights. That, or have them remounted inside out. :confused: Do I have other options I cannot see?

Second, we have a space saver spare in the trunk. If I have a flat, I can replace it with the spare. But where the HELL am I going to put the flat? I tried putting one of my new tires in the trunk but it wouldn't FIT. I'm almost sure our stock wheels won't fit either. If they don't, do you think I'm gonna put a flat tire and wheel on my leather seats? :slap:

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Suggest keeping a large, heavy duty plastic bag handy to put the flat in, so as to not dirty your seats. Be sure to buckle it in for safety :D

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
mistermike said:
Suggest keeping a large, heavy duty plastic bag handy to put the flat in, so as to not dirty your seats. Be sure to buckle it in for safety :D

that is the most ridiculous thing i have heard. the trunk is too small to hold its own damn spear.

i agree. keep a plastic bag in the compartment

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
FLORIT said:

First, I will have different size tires on the back and front. When it comes time to rotate the tires, my only option will be to swap the lefts with the rights. That, or have them remounted inside out. :confused: Do I have other options I cannot see?

Second, we have a space saver spare in the trunk. If I have a flat, I can replace it with the spare. But where the HELL am I going to put the flat? I tried putting one of my new tires in the trunk but it wouldn't FIT. I'm almost sure our stock wheels won't fit either. If they don't, do you think I'm gonna put a flat tire and wheel on my leather seats? :slap:
You don't rotate differnt size tires, for example Corvette MR2 etc.
also try to avoid putting the donut spare on the rear axle, LSD won't last long with two differnt size tires

Really I would just have your car towed if you had a flat tire sounds abit expensive but your not driving a cavalier either.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
A plug kit and portable compressor wouldn't be a bad idea. I suspect some of the Vette guys who chuck their run-flats will probably go this route.

·
3,327 Posts
cjlannoy said:
WOW! I never thought of that, thanks for pointing it out.
That is a big heads up. Big plastic trashbag in my spare compartment now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
if tyres on front smaller that rears the only way to rotate is to left to right unless tyres are directional.if tyres are directional you have to flip tyres on rims then left to right. if you get a puncture on the front the spacesaver spare goes on front if puncture on rear one of the front tyres go on the rear,,spacesaver on front. this is to save diff but most important if puncture on rear the front tyre on rear and spacesaver on front is to stop oversteer the theory goes understeer is easier to controll than oversteer.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Thanks, Bill. Every bit of information helps. Keep it coming.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
FLORIT said:

Did you try putting the flat tire in the trunk with the spare removed. What if you lift the foor covering the spare and stand the flat upright. Maybe with a flat spot on the flat it would fit. :confused:

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mlc said:
Did you try putting the flat tire in the trunk with the spare removed. What if you lift the foor covering the spare and stand the flat upright. Maybe with a flat spot on the flat it would fit. :confused:
I did not pull anything out of the trunk when I did this. I was going to haul my drag radials to get them put on the stock wheels. They MIGHT fit if you take everything out of the trunk.

In fact, one of the mods I want to make is turning the trunk into a "pit stall". I want to fit TWO stock wheels mounted with drag radials, a small floor jack, one or two jack stands, and some tools. On track days, I can haul my "pit stall" in the back and swap the wheels when I get there.

It is only a vision of mine. I have not measured or tested to see if this will work. I am not sure if it will, especially now.

·
Registered
430 Posts
aussie bill said:
if tyres on front smaller that rears the only way to rotate is to left to right unless tyres are directional.if tyres are directional you have to flip tyres on rims then left to right. if you get a puncture on the front the spacesaver spare goes on front if puncture on rear one of the front tyres go on the rear,,spacesaver on front. this is to save diff but most important if puncture on rear the front tyre on rear and spacesaver on front is to stop oversteer the theory goes understeer is easier to controll than oversteer.
Aussie Bill is right. My 1995 Nissan 200SX SE-R had an LSD front differential and a space saver spare. The instructions were the same, in that case it was if you have a flat on the front, move a wheel and tire from the back, put the space saver there, and put the regular wheel and tire on the front.

The price you pay for an LSD.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
speed_demon_freak said:
Has anyone contacted Pontiac about this problem?
Its not a problem, still your talking about tires of two differnt sizes so putting the smaller tire from the front on the rear to put a space saver in the front. You could still damage the LSD easily. Differnt size tires in front/back all you can do is have the car towed.

and having a plug kit... well most flat tires don't happen by debris they make slow leaks. Hitting potholes curbs thoes flatten tires.

Whats the point of rotating tires on the same axle... You rotate tires front back switch either the fronts to the back for the tire ware and road force change. No point in re mounting tires, i've never seen anybody do that.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good News!

Did you try putting the flat tire in the trunk with the spare removed. What if you lift the foor covering the spare and stand the flat upright. Maybe with a flat spot on the flat it would fit.
I did this experiment when I got home from work, and if you stand the flat upright against the rear bumper, the trunk will close. You will have to squeeze the trunk floor panel in there somehow or put it in the back seat. Still, I'd rather put the trunk floor in the back seat than a dirty old tire.

Really I would just have your car towed if you had a flat tire sounds abit expensive but your not driving a cavalier either.
I agree with this statement. At least for the first three years I own the car, I can call 1-800-PONTIAC for free roadside assistance. If I remember correctly, this includes free towing. (I know it does on my extended warranty, but I'm selling the extended warranty back.)

Doing this experiment also confirmed that my "pit stall" idea is feasible. The two 245/45/17 Nitto 555R drag radials mounted on stock wheels MIGHT fit in the trunk if I stand them upright. That leaves plenty of room on either side for the tools and stuff.

By the way, removing the back wall covering the gas tank doesn't buy you much at all, but I did get a good look at the heavy a** bracket protecting the gas tank. There is a huge weight savings there, but at what risk? It probably wouldn't pass a safety inspection without the bracket. BMR Fabrication is working on a lightweight version. I'll buy it.

Sorry for the "scare", but now we know we CAN but a flat tire in our trunk.

·
Registered
33 Posts
because you blokes own powerful cars most importantly, when you have the punctured tyre repaired make sure your repairer takes the tyre of the rim. this way the tyre can be inspected from the inside and make sure the repair is of an approved method. the speeds these cars can do the last thing you want is a tyre repair to fail.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts