LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is one of those stupid questions but I know no one is going to say that :rolleyes:

It was pointed out to me at the car show that the drivers side front tire is getting worn down on the outside rim. Only the driverside tire. This is because most of the on ramps are taken hard and under force :D :D . I was once told that you should not swap the tires side-2-side, only front-2-back, because of the radial belts. Anyone know this to be true?? I would like to swap the tires instead of finding left-hand turn on ramps :D

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I remember that was true when radials first hit the US in the late 60's. The early ones had problems with belt separation when they were swapped left/right. I believe those issues have been long resolved, but to be certain on any specific tire, I would write the tire manufacturer. Of course in the old days, your spare was part of the rotation cycle, too. Now if I could just get 4 more of those cool GTO donuts.....

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I don't remember what the owners manual says - but aren't the stock tires a directional tread pattern? That would mean you would need to have them remounted to rotate them side to side.
Are you sure your air pressures are good?
Dan

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good call.
the manual says to rotate tires (RR->RF,RF->LR,LR->LF,LF->RR) if they are non-directional tires. So are they? Should be easy to find out.

·
J.A.F. User
61 Posts
mlc said:
Good call.
the manual says to rotate tires (RR->RF,RF->LR,LR->LF,LF->RR) if they are non-directional tires. So are they? Should be easy to find out.
According to BF Goodrich's site, they are not directional. They do however have an inside and an outside tread pattern. They should swap side to side without problems.

·
Registered
102 Posts
They are NOT directional.
I thought that they were, but I spent some time carefully reading the sidewalls, and looking for rotation arrows. None there.

CarGuy

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
I rotated my tires in the driveway too. Press down on that brake and punch it. They rotated very well.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
phobos512 said:
I rotated my tires in the driveway too. Press down on that brake and punch it. They rotated very well.
:burnout: but that only does the back tires :banghead:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Going to revive an old thread because i didn't feel like starting a new one for what will probably amount to a stupid question. I took my car in for an oil change. Only has 8000 miles and asked the tech to rotate the tires if necessary. Picked the car up and was advised that the tires are still ok, but to rotate them would require dismounting the tire from the wheel. The explanation he gave was because the front wheels/tires were different from the back. I know nothing about tires but this sounded odd to me. I have a 2006 gto with stock 18's and factory tires and I haven't heard anyone else having this issue. Please advise.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Going to revive an old thread because i didn't feel like starting a new one for what will probably amount to a stupid question. I took my car in for an oil change. Only has 8000 miles and asked the tech to rotate the tires if necessary. Picked the car up and was advised that the tires are still ok, but to rotate them would require dismounting the tire from the wheel. The explanation he gave was because the front wheels/tires were different from the back. I know nothing about tires but this sounded odd to me. I have a 2006 gto with stock 18's and factory tires and I haven't heard anyone else having this issue. Please advise.
Oh, and the answer to your question is :bs:

No factory tires (17 or 18) were directional, and the wheels are exactly the same too...take your car to a place who is not trying to rip you off.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Anybody who tells you a story like that must be avoided.

·
Registered
457 Posts
So this is one of those stupid questions but I know no one is going to say that :rolleyes:

It was pointed out to me at the car show that the drivers side front tire is getting worn down on the outside rim. Only the driverside tire. This is because most of the on ramps are taken hard and under force :D :D . I was once told that you should not swap the tires side-2-side, only front-2-back, because of the radial belts. Anyone know this to be true?? I would like to swap the tires instead of finding left-hand turn on ramps :D

That was a fair question.
The tires original equipment tires are not directional. You can rotate them side to side or front to back, makes no difference. It will however help you keep them wearing as evenly to one another as possible. This is a good thing.
The belt direction thing is a non-issue. We do however, still avoid doing that on racecars, like on Indycars. But, thats not a worry on the street.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts