LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know what ladies and gentlemen?
I am getting very very tired of GTO haters.

every time i go to one of the other sites i hear about somebody thinking it "looks like a honda" etc etc.
or
You not the target demographic.

Well i'm gonna come out and say this:

I'm 20 about to be 21 and I LOVE THE GOAT.

Almost every person at or near my age that i have told that i am gettting one has said "why dont you get an accord?" or "how about a suped up import" and i say that i do not like the way that they handle, look, or sound.

I do not like to hear bumblebees coming after me, front wheel drive, torque steer (unless it is from the rear tires breaking loose and sliding over) or the so-called "dubs" (shitty ride), turbos, nitro, (superchargers are ok) huge front airdamns that are meant for a intercooler when there is not one, blah blah blah

As I've said and will always say "THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT"
(BTW how f*rd gets their power out of an smaller engine is by using OHC or DOHC motors. I'm sure that if Gm put OHC or DOHC heads on a LS1-6 Block, they would easily get 50-75 more hp out.)

ok i'm off my soap box now

whew
and i'm spent

Cory

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Two different worlds of thought my friend. Most of those people that ask you that were raised in Accords, Camry's and other forms of rudimentry Japanese "appliances". They were also schooled with the thought that anything with a domestic nameplate is garbage. :eek:

They've never felt the torque of a Big Block Chevy as it feels like it's about to dislodge the Earth from it's normal rotation. They've never enjoyed the sweet feeling of turning rubber into shreds at the blip of the throttle. Heck, they're lucky if their cars even more at the blip of the throttle! They like sensible, rational transportation and being like "The Joneses".

Trying to explain this is pointless! When you get your GTO, take them for a ride and after causing them to soil their pants, tell them that is the exact reason they didn't buy a Honda appliance!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Who cares what others think. All that is important is that you are happy with the GTO when you get it. Screw everyone out there complaining. Why are they complaining, they can't afford one, they are caught in the 60's and want a retro look, or is it thier significant others will not let them get one. So since they cannot have one they make themselves feel better by insulting those of us who will be fortunate enough to be driving one soon. When you are leaving them all behind in a cloud of burnt rubber be happy GM imported us a quality Australian car and that it is one of only 18K on the road and not one of 3 or 4 million Accords or Camry's on the road.

·
Registered
529 Posts
It's truly inexplicable that a website would want to alienate 18,000 potential members. But it is happening. Unfortunately some feel it's ok to bash the GTO and call us traitors and then edit the replies of the pro-GTO folks or close their threads.

I would love to have multiple resources from which to choose for getting information regarding the GTO and its LS1. Unfortunately that won't be the case. There are a very vocal minority that have resorted to name calling and GTO bashing and yet the moderator sits idly and allows it.

I still don't understand why anyone would come to a GTO thread and post anti-GTO misinformation. They obviously haven't learned about the GTO and don't intend to buy one. So why post. It's like us going to a Subaru website and saying we don't like the height of the wing. Who cares. It's not your car, your wing or your purchase. :slap:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yo Tails, you know darn well who. Cmnt, Cvp, Maghut, Gmload and you, thats who. You need to cut down the:drink: so you can follow the shorthand posts.:D

·
LS1 Enthusiast!
154 Posts
There are many friendly people on all sites. Just because a few
vocal people badmouth a car, don't let the stop you from visiting.
There is a wealth of technical information on the LS1 engine on
these sites. That is where you want to be, in the techincal
forums.

FWIW, I photochop all cars too. No discrimination :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
I will like my GTO a lot more than I'll ever care about someone not liking it. F-Bodies have upsides and downsides too, I'm not crooning away about what I don't like about them. Same with tuners. This car will not be boring. Don't like my car? Up Yours!! Next time I'll say what I really feel.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
They're the same idiots that when I tell them I have a Z28 that I've built the engine on and they reply "well...you must get terrible fuel economy!" Well no shIt sherlock! But as a matter of fact, no I don't! I actually get better fuel economy at around 24-26mpg on the highway than your sensible Accord does and there's no mistaking the performance mine is capable of!"

Or when I tell them I have a single rear axle 1 ton work truck with the biggest (at 496 cubes), most powerful gasoline V8 in the market segment, I also get the "Oh, you must get terrible fuel economy!" Once again, no sh*t Sherlock, but when I bought it, fuel economy was one of the least important factors in my decision. Yanking the Q.E.II to port was!

Stupidity and narrowmindedness is amazing!

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Interestingly enough, the other thread in question at the other site has been removed. I'm kind of glad - now we can start from square 1 - hopefully they won't insult our cars and we won'y have to insult theirs.:D

·
Registered
524 Posts
Thing is, we don't have to insult anybody's car ( or they ours). If you don't like it, all is necessary is 1) to each his own and 2) If somebody is proud of their ride, don't have to call it ugly, slow or whatever. Can say just not my cup of tea, glad you like it. Anyway, like the song goes "she might be ugly, but she sure can cook!" (those tires):drink:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree, and let me say, comming from Australia, I think America has made some of the most beautiful, meanest, and badass cars on the planet. I will never put a hair drying sneezing turbo ahead of true American Muscle. No, you can keep your Fast and Furious. The only thing that comes in 2 Litres in my house is milk and orange juice.
All time Fav....57 Chev

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's not uncommon for folks from other "forums" to drop in from time to time and stir the pot and leave. The "visitors" the corvetteforum gets from the Viper/Mustang/Supra/BMW folks is common and frequent. We also have folks from the corvetteforum dropping over to their sites for a chat or to set the record straight from time to time as well.

It spices things up. Of course it takes a strong person to maintain his cool when BS is being spewed. Hell we even find a little "family feud" between Corvette generations from time to time on the same forum. With over 50 years of facts/figures and passion to draw from you can expect a dust up from time to time.

The newest generation was raised on Ralph Nader/Joan Claybrook safety Nazi's, OPEC fuel shortages a few recessions, the insurance industry and don't forget the self inflected "quality" calamity Detroit faced in the 70/80's. So I'm not surprised by the love affair today’s youth have with FWD 4 cyl buzz bombs.

However there is hope. When I'm out detailing/working on my vette or have a few parked in front of my house I'm surprised at how many young neighbor kids gather. So all of us "old-timers" stop and take time to let the kids look, touch and where allowed given rides. I took one neighbor boy to meet the Corvette 50th Caravan as it rolled through St Louis this past summer. We had over 500 vette's stop at a local Chevy dealer on their way to Bowling Green. He's now a Corvette fan, has t-shirts, hats and knows a lot of the history. The Sunday crowd of kids has increased since he got his ride.

I feel it's a duty and a privilege to mentor this generation.

Tom

·
Registered
524 Posts
Speaking of Ralph Nader and his hatchet job on the Corvair, "Unsafe at Any Speed" the cover title on the Autoweek in '86 when they tested the intercooled Grand National (before that no intercooler) was " Sideways at Any Speed". Man that got my attention and one was soon in the driveway. Still there. Looking forward the the similar capabilities of the GTO!

·
Registered
22 Posts
AFVETTE said:
It's not uncommon for folks from other "forums" to drop in from time to time and stir the pot and leave. The "visitors" the corvetteforum gets from the Viper/Mustang/Supra/BMW folks is common and frequent. We also have folks from the corvetteforum dropping over to their sites for a chat or to set the record straight from time to time as well.

It spices things up. Of course it takes a strong person to maintain his cool when BS is being spewed. Hell we even find a little "family feud" between Corvette generations from time to time on the same forum. With over 50 years of facts/figures and passion to draw from you can expect a dust up from time to time.

The newest generation was raised on Ralph Nader/Joan Claybrook safety Nazi's, OPEC fuel shortages a few recessions, the insurance industry and don't forget the self inflected "quality" calamity Detroit faced in the 70/80's. So I'm not surprised by the love affair today’s youth have with FWD 4 cyl buzz bombs.

However there is hope. When I'm out detailing/working on my vette or have a few parked in front of my house I'm surprised at how many young neighbor kids gather. So all of us "old-timers" stop and take time to let the kids look, touch and where allowed given rides. I took one neighbor boy to meet the Corvette 50th Caravan as it rolled through St Louis this past summer. We had over 500 vette's stop at a local Chevy dealer on their way to Bowling Green. He's now a Corvette fan, has t-shirts, hats and knows a lot of the history. The Sunday crowd of kids has increased since he got his ride.

I feel it's a duty and a privilege to mentor this generation.

Tom
You are so right Tom. Well said. Yes every generation deserves to have their time and enjoy their cars, just like we did. Good on ya mate...

·
Registered
386 Posts
HSV Mad said:
I agree, and let me say, comming from Australia, I think America has made some of the most beautiful, meanest, and badass cars on the planet. I will never put a hair drying sneezing turbo ahead of true American Muscle. No, you can keep your Fast and Furious. The only thing that comes in 2 Litres in my house is milk and orange juice.
All time Fav....57 Chev
Well said, there was nothing on the planet like the cars that came out of Detroit in the '60's. I have to say after being on this site for awhile that I have serious respect for Australian cars now!!!! And am very thankful!! Before now if I thought of Auatralian cars I thought 'Road Warrior' junkers but you guys have some killer rides down there. Is there anyone else besides Holden making V8 rear wheel drives with any kind of power or is Holden the only one??

·
Registered
5 Posts
britus56 said:
Well said, there was nothing on the planet like the cars that came out of Detroit in the '60's. I have to say after being on this site for awhile that I have serious respect for Australian cars now!!!! And am very thankful!! Before now if I thought of Auatralian cars I thought 'Road Warrior' junkers but you guys have some killer rides down there. Is there anyone else besides Holden making V8 rear wheel drives with any kind of power or is Holden the only one??
Hi All,
It is a two horse race as far as V8 RWD Aussie cars is concerned.....Holden and Ford.

Ford have the Falcon XR8 and GT models (both 4 door models). The GT puts out around 290 Kw at the flywheel where the XR8 is more like the Monaro at around 260 Kw.

I used to drive an SS Commodore (4 door Monaro), but now drive the XR8's brother called an XR6T. It has 2 less cylinders, but the factory turbo more than makes up for it. ( I beleive the XR6T 1/4 mile time is quicker than the XR8).

Anyhow, this forum is a great read. I hope the GTO becomes a great success..

P.S I have attached a couple of images of my XR6T if anyone is interested in seeing what they look like (The XR8 is the same except for a 'bulge' on the bonnet)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts