LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tire Noise at Speed?

I just past 3k-mi yesterday and have a question.

I get this high pitched hum in my cabin starting around 50mph that gets progressively louder until about 85mph, after which it stays the same. It's not engine RPM dependent. My only guess is that it's from my rear tires. If I move my head to the center of the cabin as I am driving and then toward the rear of the car (basically, lean right and then back) the sound gets louder, so I know it's coming from the back of the car. It doesn't seem to change with road surface, but most highways out this way are the same crappy asphalt or concrete block.

Has anyone else noticed this or had similar experiences in other vehicles?

·
Great Lakes Moderator
2,358 Posts
You have concrete block highways?? Oh man am I glad I don't live out there!
:D
just playin! No noise out of the ordinary here... Maybe I'll have to pay a little better attention with the radio turned down.
-Ryan

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
phobos512 said:
I just past 3k-mi yesterday and have a question.

I get this high pitched hum in my cabin starting around 50mph that gets progressively louder until about 85mph, after which it stays the same. It's not engine RPM dependent. My only guess is that it's from my rear tires. If I move my head to the center of the cabin as I am driving and then toward the rear of the car (basically, lean right and then back) the sound gets louder, so I know it's coming from the back of the car. It doesn't seem to change with road surface, but most highways out this way are the same crappy asphalt or concrete block.

Has anyone else noticed this or had similar experiences in other vehicles?
Yes. Just recently I started noticing the high pitch hum. I think after I went to the strip It came on. I'm thinking tire wear??? Hopefully not anything with the rear end . . . :eek2:

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm...Most places I've ever been to in the US have had concete for at least parts of highways. But I've never been to Michigan. I have been to Illinois, but not for a long time. I just remember the roads there being very crappy, whatever it was they were made out of.

Yeah, I'm thinking tire wear as well...Hopefully the screws on my rear-end aren't about to pop out like that one guys did.

·
Great Lakes Moderator
2,358 Posts
I was just kidding about "concrete block" when you said that, I thought of concrete blocks like they used in the old days to build basement walls out of! Some of the highways in MI are really nice, and sometimes you hit streches where its just terrible... I just moved here from IL, at least most of the highways are in some similar sort-of-shot condition (although nobody can figure out where all of the "road improvement" money goes from tolls... lol)

·
GTOWILL
236 Posts
I noticed this as well. I believe this is a tire wear issue. I have 3500 miles on my M6 and my rear tires are half worn; yes, I have been having fun with my goat. After a balance and rotation, the hum is gone. Check the wear on your rear tires, you might need a rotation.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you say check the tires, what should I be looking for? There's boatloads of tread left...I haven't been having too much fun - I've only put down rubber once, and that wasn't even on purpose, lol...

·
GTOWILL
236 Posts
Stick a penny in between the treads. Compare the back wear to the front wear. Or you can have someone actually measure the tread depth.

All I know is I had the exact same problem at highway cruise speeds and once I rotated and balanced the tires, problem solved. I don't think these KDWSs are the quietest tire out there.

·
GTOWILL
236 Posts
I'm not convinced this is tire related anymore. Could this be rear-end related? The loud humming noice starts around 60 and gets progressively louder until around 80; this is exactly like phobos512 described. Nobody else experiencing this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I currently have the same exact problem with my goat. 6500mi. I brought it to the dealer this morning so they can diagnose it. Just got off the phone with them. They called michigan and they basically told him that it is a normal sound the car makes. He then went on to say that the tech in michigan has stated a number of people have been complaining about this. He wants me to come back monday and drive him around. If I take him out on the highway around 70mph he should be convinced something is wrong. At that point he'll get back in touch with is manager to see what to do. I'll keep everone posted...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Went to the dealer again...

Took the service manager for a spin and he said it's definitely not a normal sound the car makes. Happens over 40mph under a coast or simply maintaining speed. It is the worst at around 60mph in 5th or 6th gear. Sound originates from the rear center of the car. I will be bringing the car in Tuesday so they can take a look-see. He suspects a bearing in the rear end.

I'll keep everyone posted.

·
GTOWILL
236 Posts
Keep us posted. I still have this issue and its getting worse. I'm bringing it in soon.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Humming is sometimes symptomatic of a bad wheel or axle bearing, although it's usually audible at lower than freeway speeds. My Nittos are too noisy to tell if anything else is acting up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
mistermike said:
Humming is sometimes symptomatic of a bad wheel or axle bearing, although it's usually audible at lower than freeway speeds. My Nittos are too noisy to tell if anything else is acting up.
The first thing the service manager suspected was bad axle bearing. Hopefully nothing too serious.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Rear End is shot

SO I talk to someone in the service department and they tell me that after opening up the rear that, "Things didn't look good". I need a new rear end he tells me. So, I will be without my car for a while. They need to order it and have no idea when it's arriving. Needless to say, I will not be driving it and am picking up a loaner tonight... :banghead:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts