LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you look close at many of the photo's currently available I've noticed two different tire tread patterns. One looks very much like a Yokohama the other is non-descript. What sort of performance tire comes on the US GTO?

Tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dont know much about tires, are the stock ones you said any good? What would be the best street tires for a gto?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'll probably go to a P275/40ZR17Firestone Firehawk SZ50 Ep. Plus-sized for some grip at launch and the SZ50's hook like mad. And they have the dual layer tread that all of the good Bridgestones have so you don't lose your grip as they wear down, and a good treadwear rating for a badass tire. They look sweet too:cool:

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Here is a picture of the tire.

Overall, it's an excellent tire but where it excels is dry traction. Conversely, it's snow traction ranks as just "good" (not that I'll drive mine when snowing). On a scale of 1 -10 (10 being the best) Tire Rack rates it at a 7.8. This is a tire similar to the GoodYear Eagle RS-A in that it is a jack of all trades, master of none. It will meet most driver's here, basic requirements.

I personally am a fan of GoodYear performance tires. Many are not, but I like them not just for the performance but the style also. I'm looking at another set of Eagle GS-C's (like I have on the Camaro), Eagle F1's, or F1 GS-D3.

Here is the F1 GS-D3

On that same scale scores a 8.8 average and individually ranks over a 9 on dry and wet handling as well as Hydro-resistance. Snow traction is N/A for this tire and the lowest it ranks is an 8.3 on tread wear.

Here is the regular F1 like the Corvette's and Camaro/Trans Am's came with)

Overall this one ranks a 7.3. It's strongest point is dry traction. I love the look of this tire.

Here is the Eagle GS-C. This is what I have on the Camaro and I LOVE this styled tire

Overall, this tire receives 7.2. IT's strongest points are dry traction, cornering stability, and steering response.

I may look into Yokohama's too, as I've had good experience with them on other cars, namely the Avid H4/V4's.

·
WOT's up?
559 Posts
I've always been very pleased with good old yankee rubber too. I'm getting the Goodyear F1-GS-D3's also.

·
...and former GTO owner.
841 Posts
britus56 said:
I'll probably go to a P275/40ZR17Firestone Firehawk SZ50 Ep. Plus-sized for some grip at launch and the SZ50's hook like mad. And they have the dual layer tread that all of the good Bridgestones have so you don't lose your grip as they wear down, and a good treadwear rating for a badass tire. They look sweet too:cool:
Not going to be able to fit those on a 8 inch wide rim.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If your car is going to be a daily driver SZ50s are great in the rain.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Well there is no question they will fit the rims (assuming they have the same dimensions as the GTO's domestic counterparts), but as for the rub question you don't know until you try it, unless Pontiac can absolutely tell you, and I've never seen them do that. Fortunately for myself, my company allows me to trade in the BFG's for whatever I want within their first 500 miles and I happen to run a shop so I will get to play early with clearance and plus-sizing, as well as put it on my alignment rack and prove Car & Driver wrong. And of course assuming I get mine as early (!!) as the rest of us I will report these findings immediately to the site.:cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts