LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I love keyboard warriors...
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
I have a brazen orange 06' m6. it has the sport appearence package on it, and really good magnaflow clones that pontiac used on the last of the kits. Any how i loved the sound but wanted something louder and completley different! I currently live in Tallahassee florida and go to school at F.S.u. so there's a few other GTO's up here. I was skeptical at first about playing with the resonators or cats(especially up here, no good perf. shops), but after i read a few threads by our fellow gear heads...Well you all know how addicting modifications are!!! I HAD TO! after the install i fell in love with my goat for the umpteenth time again! It has a pure detroit muscle/ pure pushrod sound! let me know any suggestions as to what comes next!!! btw, I have also installed a volant cai., and the "Lou's short stick"-which i love despite the awkward look:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Glad to hear you like the sound. I'm thinking of going with a similar set-up myself. I don't have the SAP package, but I was thinking of getting the
SAP mufflers and replacing the resonator with an H-pipe. I'm looking for a deep tone with more bass than the stock system.

·
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply! yes then look no further! 1. the sap system is a much deeper throaty soun in itself! but after doing the h-pipe you have a much more musical sound from about three to redline! it will make the hair on your neck stand up!!! absolutly beautiful sound.

·
I'm gonna get you!
2,812 Posts
the mufflers are magnaflows on the sap kit.

·
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats what i was told! but...The exhaust shop that did my work today is a magnaflow specialty shop and they said it was close but no cigar! different welds. and no insignia anywhere on the mufflers or even a part number so i dont know what to think. I've never heard one with an off the shelf magnaflow cat back so i have nothing to go on sound wise either.

·
Omertà
5,303 Posts
Congrats on your new goat!! The SAP muffs are in fact Magnaflows. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've been thinking of doing the exact same thing. The SAP mufflers and an H-pipe to replace the factory resonator. Glad you like it, and the sound you describe is what I think I'd prefer.
Good post, much appreciated. :)

·
I'm gonna get you!
2,812 Posts
brazenorange06' said:
thats what i was told! but...The exhaust shop that did my work today is a magnaflow specialty shop and they said it was close but no cigar! different welds. and no insignia anywhere on the mufflers or even a part number so i dont know what to think. I've never heard one with an off the shelf magnaflow cat back so i have nothing to go on sound wise either.
When the rebadge them for GM they do not put insignia on them. Also in some cases they are different dimensions that regular magnaflows.

·
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Izzy said:
Did removing the resonator and adding the H-pipe increase the volume or just change the tone?
yes and yes! The car has a higher dB. level but no resonence inside! at all. also, the tone is much more crisp as if to hear each cylinder fire, but in a muffled tone of course.

·
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
spd98 said:
When the rebadge them for GM they do not put insignia on them. Also in some cases they are different dimensions that regular magnaflows.
oh...Well awesome news and thanks for the reply. I do love the way it sounds and couldnt be happier with the car in general!

·
I'm gonna get you!
2,812 Posts
multistrada74 said:
is there any weight saving by removing the resonators?
None worth mentioning.

·
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
multistrada74 said:
is there any weight saving by removing the resonators?
Precisely as stated above, I picked it up and was looking at it. maybe a pound or two. but it is worth the trouble! I just got back from my weekly car meet, and besides a few traction issues(235's suck!!!) i had no problem running and hiding from a cammed o3' gt. but all grins here:drink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts