LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cruising with my buddy tonight and we ran into this kid with his girlfriend and another guy in the back seat. They were in a newer mustang GT. They wanted to race so we went out to a back road by my house and ran about 5 times, it may have been about an 8th mile race each time. We raced to a white post from a stop sign in the middle of nowhere. I easily beat him 4 out of 5 times. The one time I lost I just let 'er rip from the line and left about 60 ft of double black lines on the pavement. I lost the race but had a blast doing it. The other 4 times he had me off the line but I didn't spin the tires and beat him to the post easily. We never went much over 70 miles/hour. He was driving an auto and me an m6. He had 3 people in the car and I had 2 but total weight was probably about the same. (My buddy and I probably weigh 450 lbs and these were 2 small guys and a girl.) There really is no contest between the GTO and a mustang GT. :)

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
I concur. Last night I got behind a good looking green Mustang GT who was raising hell on the strip. When the light turned green, he took off and I stayed right on him. I heard him hit his rev limiter trying to get away, but he had no chance. I still had pedal left when we backed them down and pulled over to talk. He CLAIMED he had an intake, exhaust, and a "35 shot of NOS" on a 4.6L V8. When I told him I had pedal left and he realized he couldn't get away from me, he seemed really bummed. :D
I have my doubts about the NOS. I think young kids just like saying "NOS". Did you know putting a NOS sticker on your window adds 50HP?

·
NFC Champs
883 Posts
FLORIT said:
I have my doubts about the NOS. I think young kids just like saying "NOS". Did you know putting a NOS sticker on your window adds 50HP?
A "NOS" sticker only adds 50hp to domestic cars, but if you put it on an import, you're looking at about 200whp :D

·
IXLR8
476 Posts
Race a manual GT...The autos have always been dogs unlike the GM products where it is a tight race between the sticks and the autos...The 1/4mile time of the autos is mid 14's at best. "Stock"

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Ok WKDWS6 - the SOHC that you can get in a GT puts out 260 / 302 at 3350 lbs. The GTO is at 350 / 365 at 3750. I don't get where you are putting the GT's into the GTO category. The extra 45 hp and 18 ft.lbs. of torque from the DOHC motor in the Mach 1 puts it in near identical performance numbers as the GTO (completely down to driver per the Ford and Pontiac magazines) - so why wouldn't a GT be owned most of the time by a GTO?
Dan

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
:slap: I remember when people used to race for pink slips :drink:

What ever happin to the good ol days :p

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Holeshot said:
:slap: I remember when people used to race for pink slips :drink:

What ever happin to the good ol days :p

Not too many people own pink slips anymore. How many people want to win a race and inherit a 500 dollar monthly payment for 60 months???

That's one way to unload your car if you don't want it anymore. Race for bank slips and lose on purpose!

·
IXLR8
476 Posts
I am not saying that you couldn't beat a GT manual. But to be surprised about beating an automatic that has three people in the car is kinda funny. The only reason I posted was because a GTO will absolutely smoke an auto GT. It would be a better run with a stick. I also dont think GTO and Mach Ones are in the same class. They are closer to my class. A Mach One is the pre supercharged Cobra motor with better low end torque and active ram air. They are consistently low low 13 sec cars where a GTO is a mid 13 second car.
Also HP arguments are pretty useless, they give a baseline but we know there are many cars with less HP that will beat cars with more HP...

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
WKDWS6 said:
...They are consistently low low 13 sec cars where a GTO is a mid 13 second car...
Everything I have heard and read says the '04 Mustang Mach 1 and the '04 GTO are so evenly matched that it should come down to the driver. Perhaps you know something about the Mach 1 that all of us have missed.

·
Si vis pacem, paro bellum
761 Posts
My two best friends are hard-core Mustang fans and both agree that the Mach 1 is in the same class as the goat and that it would come down to the driver. I took one of them on a drive the other day and they were really impressed with the GTO which suprised me because of their undying love of the stangs.
mike

·
IXLR8
476 Posts
From what I see the GTO's are faster than GT's and slower than Mach One's... Now it could be argued it would be a driver race because of a couple of tenths difference in the avg 1/4 mile times. I am saying with equal drivers the Mach one is faster. Just like my car is faster than GT's, pretty equal to Mach ones and slower than the Cobra...

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
This weekend I was driving around and a guy in an old pickup truck pulls next to me. He says "Hey man, those things are awesome. I've got an '03 Mustang GT and raced one of those. It totally smoked me." The guy seemed pretty cool.
Then we exchanged waves and thumbs up and all that good stuff.
Not a kill but thought it was pertinent to the thread.

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
WKDWS6 said:
Now it could be argued it would be a driver race because of a couple of tenths difference in the avg 1/4 mile times. I am saying with equal drivers the Mach one is faster.
Muscle mustangs ran both of them with the same driver and got .04 sec difference GTO-13.51 @104.xx Mach-13.47 @103.xx I would call that pretty darn even.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
JayStew,
You forget, on one run the Goat had a trap speed of 105.1. I also read the MM and FF mag and they said it would come down to the driver. They ALSO said they had a lot more experience with launching Mustangs (go figure) then the IRS GTO. Lets face it, the GTOs stock tires have very little stick so going to a sticky tire is going to increase performance all around. No matter what, you will look better in the GTO going fast compared to the Mustang with that "oh so plastic" interior!

·
10 sec club
471 Posts
DANSLS1 said:
Ok WKDWS6 - the SOHC that you can get in a GT puts out 260 / 302 at 3350 lbs. The GTO is at 350 / 365 at 3750. I don't get where you are putting the GT's into the GTO category. The extra 45 hp and 18 ft.lbs. of torque from the DOHC motor in the Mach 1 puts it in near identical performance numbers as the GTO
Many Mach 1's are dynoing higher than the factory rating, so keep that in mind when you're bench-racing.
Mine dynod at 282 rwhp/306 rwtq completely stock,
which equates to ~ 332 flywheel hp/360 flywheel tq.

So in my cars case, the Mach 1 has ~ 20 less flywheel hp & 5 less flywheel tq.
Plus, it weighs over 300 lbs less, has slightly better rear gearing (3.55's vs 3.46's), and is easier to launch due to it's solid axle.

With all those handicaps (extra weight/IRS/almost the same hp & tq/etc), it's no wonder a majority of GTO's don't hit the mid/low 13's except under the best of circumstances with the most experienced drivers... :D

FLORIT said:
Everything I have heard and read says the '04 Mustang Mach 1 and the '04 GTO are so evenly matched that it should come down to the driver. Perhaps you know something about the Mach 1 that all of us have missed.
I keep reading here that the M6 GTO is so dead-even in the 1/4 mile with the Mach 1, and quotes/magazine articles/tests that prove the point.

HOWEVER, with the exception of one or two GTO's, I don't see any stock GTO's running the kind of 1/4-mile times that stock Mach 1's are regularly running (13.0 - 13.4).

In fact, most of the posts I read in the Drag Racing section show 13.8 - 14.0+ times even for the M6 cars.
(In fact, your car even ran a 14.0+ ;) )

·
10 sec club
471 Posts
White Rider said:
SLP got down to 13.1 so it is possible...

Angus said:
With all those handicaps (extra weight/IRS/almost the same hp & tq/etc), it's no wonder a majority of GTO's don't hit the mid/low 13's except under the best of circumstances with the most experienced drivers... :D
Not saying it's 100% impossible (if all the planets are aligned & it's a perfect day, perfect track, etc.. ;) ), just immensely unlikely...

·
Chief Poncho
3,032 Posts
I believe in this Month issue of HotRod magazine they do some work to an 04 Mach 1. I believe a pulley, better exhaust system. They ran the car before and after the mods. Before it was something like 13.5 and after like 13.1? I will have to check out the article and try and scan or post it.

I found it interesting that according to at least HotRod magazine the Mach I only did the low 13's after the mods.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts