LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just Curious

How fast have you had your goat on the road/hwy? (no track)

I have been as high as 120mph on 3 lane interstate.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This morning at about 9 am, I had it up to 140 mph on very long, strait stretch of two lane highway in Montana. The road was long, smooth, and strait, with about 3 miles of visibility.

·
3,327 Posts
I havent been over 95, but I was passed by another GTO that was running 100 MPH.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
I can neither confirm nor deny any knowledge of my car being observed doing 115 MPH from the ON RAMP to the 3-lane highway toward my home.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
I can't wait for my trip to West Texas this June. There are some roads there (not the Interstates) where you can see 5 miles in each direction, perfectly straight and level.

Not that I'm going to test to see if my speed-limiter is working or anything. ;) Just going to enjoy the view... really, trust me. :)

Tip when travelling across Texas (and New Mexico and Arizona): take the back roads, not the Interstates. Lots of fun to be had and beautiful sights to see.

Padre

·
Registered
41 Posts
PadreGTO said:
I can't wait for my trip to West Texas this June. There are some roads there (not the Interstates) where you can see 5 miles in each direction, perfectly straight and level.

Not that I'm going to test to see if my speed-limiter is working or anything. ;) Just going to enjoy the view... really, trust me. :)

Tip when travelling across Texas (and New Mexico and Arizona): take the back roads, not the Interstates. Lots of fun to be had and beautiful sights to see.

Padre
Funny, i was flying by carrolton on I-20 the other day in excess of 120. For the people that know this stretch thats fast!

·
Banned
9,227 Posts
160 all the way to the fuel cutoff.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Um, just barely over 95 only still.
Dan

·
3,327 Posts

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
snowwdog said:
Funny, i was flying by carrolton on I-20 the other day in excess of 120. For the people that know this stretch thats fast!
Should have dropped by and said hello. :) Just remember that all of Douglas County is a speed trap - from exits 24 to 40 keep it reasonable.

Padre

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Warren said:
Check this one out: Top Speed
HAHAHAHAHAHA, I see that the CRUISE CONTROL is set at 162MPH. HAHAHAHAHA

·
GTOAA 04-06 Tech Advisor
1,545 Posts
FLORIT said:
HAHAHAHAHAHA, I see that the CRUISE CONTROL is set at 162MPH. HAHAHAHAHA
nah, the cruise is powered but not set.
But it would have been a better pic if there was some road in the pic. Hell I could post one of these within the hour with the car on jackstands in the driveway....and set cruise control.
And this was done by someone (or a friend) who reads this forum? After all the breakin talk? This was done on the way home from the dealership??????

·
3,327 Posts
I dont think it was someone on this board. I found it last night when I was bored.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
100 by both my wife and I at different times on different highways.
:drink: :drink:

Update: new personal best on a deserted stretch of interstate - 125.....very smooth!!!!
:drink: :drink:

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Does that seem right? If I put the car into 6th at 80, I'm turning 1900 to 2000 rpm. It seems that it would take more than 2200 rpm's to see 162. Makes me think that the jackstands / dyno option are more likely than the car being on an actual road.
Dan

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
DANSLS1 said:
Does that seem right? If I put the car into 6th at 80, I'm turning 1900 to 2000 rpm. It seems that it would take more than 2200 rpm's to see 162. Makes me think that the jackstands / dyno option are more likely than the car being on an actual road.
Dan
Good observation, Dan. I also failed to notice that the DIC says "Cruise" not "Cruise Active".

Regarding the RPM, though. Once you're up to speed, wouldn't the RPM fall to some nominal level as the car's inertia helped it maintain speed? I mean, it takes significant RPM to ACCELERATE to such a high speed, but less RPM to maintain that speed. Of course, 162 MPH would HAVE to take more than 2200 RPM, as Dan observed. Wouldn't it?

OVER 4000 RPM ON TACH IN PIC... Just noticed that.
P.S. No offense, but who's the idiot taking a picture of his dash while he's driving 162 MPH??? :D

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
Don't confuse power with RPM (which becomes complicated as HP and RPMs are intrinsicaly linked.) The power needed to accelerate is less than the power needed to maintain a cruising speed but the RPMs turned at a given speed in a given gear should be a constant (or you need clutchwork...) The power needed to maintain a cruising speed, however, is directly linked to (but generally not directly proportional to) the drag it is experiencing, which is primarily related to the frontal area times the drag coefficient. A car with the slipperiness of the GTO will still be using almost all of its power to overcome this air resistance. Gearing changes aren't necessarily a fix, either. Switching to a higher gearing often drops the engine out of its peak powerband; many cars reach their top speed in the second-to-highest gear because of this, thereby allowing improved economy at "normal" crusing speeds. Two ways to increase terminal velocity - increase power or decrease drag...

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
DANSLS1 said:
Dan
It is right, give or take a little.
If you agree that the tach is ~2k while driving at 80mph. That's the same as 4050rpm at 162mph.

·
2,432 Posts
DANSLS1 said:
Dan
Unless I'm missing something it says 4200 rpm.

Isn't this car faster in 5th than 6th anyway?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts