LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont plan on changing my cam anytime soon but If I wanted to change my Torque Converter, what would be a better one then what I have in the car already?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
In my research for doing this to my TA it comes down to Vig being the most praised. Not cheap, but if your gonna do this do it right. 3200 would be the best, anything under 2800 not really worth the trouble.
It's very daily driveable and gas mileage will not suffer, but your tires will get smoked. If you do this you have to get some better tire or you will just be a smoke show.

·
Nothing
53 Posts
Adam4356 said:
anything under 2800 not really worth the trouble.
It's very daily driveable and gas mileage will not suffer, but your tires will get smoked. If you do this you have to get some better tire or you will just be a smoke show.
I would have to disagree on this statement. A Vigilante 2600 stall in my GTO dropped 8/10ths off the ET and is much more driver friendly than my 3400 stall WS6 was. Being a heavier car by almost 300 lbs. makes the converter stall higher anyway when your foots in it but driveability is much better the rest of the time. Just my opinion, you know what people say about opinions :eek:

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
What's the difference between the torque converter and the clutch? What does stall speed mean? Which is the more affordable upgrade? I'm trying to add performance parts a little at a time without selling the house. If I could get either the torque converter or the clutch ordered, delivered, and installed before Friday night at the drag strip, which should I choose? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
FLORIT said:
What's the difference between the torque converter and the clutch? What does stall speed mean? Which is the more affordable upgrade? I'm trying to add performance parts a little at a time without selling the house. If I could get either the torque converter or the clutch ordered, delivered, and installed before Friday night at the drag strip, which should I choose? Thanks.
I found these two sites very useful in explaining how a torque converter works.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm

http://www.tciauto.com/tech_info/torque_converters_explained.htm

:drink: :drink:

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Great links, Tails! Thanks! I'm learning new stuff already. :) The important thing, of course, is that the torque converter is for the A4 and the clutch for the M6. I have an M6, so obviously a clutch upgrade would be my goal.

Man, when a computer nerd like me starts learning auto mechanics, WATCH OUT. Trouble is sure to follow. LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts