LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I PICKED UP MY GOAT LAST THURSDAY, AND SUNDAY THE FIRST COAT OF WAX. THATS WHEN I NOTICED HUNDREDS OF SMALL BLACK SPOTS COVERING THE HOOD ROOF FENDERS AND FADING OFF INTO THE DOORS. THE SPOTS ARE THE SIZE OF PENSIL DOTS AND ARE UNDER THE CLEAR. THE DEALER CALLED GM AND THEY SAID REFINISH THE CAR. I DONT KNOW IF I SHOULD. THERES KNOW WAY TO REPRODUCE THE FACTORY FINISH. :rolleyes:

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
I've seen the same black dots on my Torrid Red, but only at the fender wells. I had assumed it was road tar or rubber from the tires, but the Simple Green degreaser I tried last night did not remove them. My dots may also be overspray from the undercoating. Whatever they are, my dots are only noticeable on close inspection (which I do often. I can't stop looking at my car. :) )

Sorry to hear you have so many dots, but I suppose you either live with them (not an option, really) or have the dealer do the refinishing. Let us know what happens and how it turns out.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
My black car has a couple of areas (lower rear trunk by license plate and right behind driver side rear wheel) where I have white 'dots' through the black - where the black didn't cover the primer completely. Don't know if it sounds the same or not. I've decided to live with mine unless something changes to get worse - but it doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as yours.
Good luck and let us know what happens.
Dan

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have heard that when cars arrive via rail they can have whats called rail dust. Its small particles of metal dust thats created from a train and the rail road. These particles can imbed themselves in your paint/clear coat. That might be what it is. The way you take it off is with a clay bar. You might try that just to be safe. At least its another option from having your car repainted.

·
297kW User
1,928 Posts
That seriously blows.

Maybe you could convince the dealer to repaint your car Fusion Orange? :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had the same dots on my 1999 silvermist GTP and the clay bar (buy the blue one) removed them. I usually clay all of my cars before I apply the polish. I hope the clay helps....Pep boys is the only place locally I have found the blue bar...(the yellow bar doesn't seem to work as well-I have tried it)

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Spots In/on Paint

Rail Dust Is A Fairly Common Complaint. Sometimes Does Not Show Up For A Month Or Two. It Only Shows Up On Lighter Vehicles, But Can Be Felt On Almost All Vehicles. They Little Micro Pieces Of Iron Turn To Iron Oxide (rust) And Leach In The Outer Paint Surface, Always Creating Little Red Dots Or Small Circles. Easily Fixed By Using A Acid Wash Or Special Clays. But It Only Shows Up As Red And Not Black.

In This Day And Age, If The Body Shop Is Good, I Would Have No Problem With Painting. However, On My Personal Vehicles, I Would Be Forgiving On Any Minor Paint Issue, Because I Do Like To Preserve The Oem Paint. That Decision Is Yours.

Dms

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Red Speed Paint Perfect

We Just Recieved Our 6th Gto. Have Yet To Find A Paint Concern.
They Only Probelm We Have Is Removing The Shipping Covers. A Real
Pain. So Cannot Relate To The Black Spots Others Have Complained
About
Dms

1 - 8 of 8 Posts