LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a new cam for the GTO and I was wondering what the total cost for everyone else was. I am going to be doing the work myself, so that should save a lot. I am also going to tune it with LS1 edit and the help of the master mechanic at my shop, since there is no place over here to get a dyno tune.

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
In the states you could probably find a cam,springs,pushrods, and retainers for 700-800 bucks.

Just a cam for 350-400.

·
The Anti Dyno Racer
473 Posts
JayStew said:
In the states you could probably find a cam,springs,pushrods, and retainers for 700-800 bucks.

Just a cam for 350-400.
This number is pretty close, it makes things easier that most of the gaskets are reusable. Just don't forget to order a new crank bolt as it's a torque to yield unit. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get an underdrive pulley while you have it apart as well. It's a little tricky doing a cam only swap, being that you have to get all the lifters up in their bores before cam removal. The only way to avoid that is to pull the heads as the lifters are underneath them. If you're not sure of yourself, pull the heads. The head bolts are torque to yield as well and must be replaced, with the exception of the small ones on top with a 10mm head. The head gaskets are not reusable. You also need to be careful reinstalling the front cover, install the bolts a couple of threads on the cover, then install the pulley and use it to align the cover. If you torque the cover first you run the risk of damaging the front crankshaft seal. Make sure you get a cam that does not have too much lift, unless you plan on notching the pistons for clearance. This can be done with the engine in the car using special tools. :)

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
If you want THE BEST instructions on how to do a cam swap read this: http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

You don't have to take the heads off. I didn't. Just use some 5/16" rod from Home Depot, cut it about 6-8" longer than the cam and bend about 3-4" up at a 90* angle. Slid those little boogers into the holes in the block and the lifters can't fall. Thunder Racing also makes a tool for this but, it is pricey.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You can actually run quite a bit of lift without worry, unless you're also getting overly crazy on the duration. There's a lot of .600" lift cams sold by the popular vendors that still clear the stock pistons without cutting reliefs. Personally I think the GTO would be perfect with a mid 220's duration cam on a 115 LSA with 4 to 5 degrees of advance. It'd make good power, not be too lopey, have a pretty broad torque curve, and not peak at too high of RPM.. Your choice may vary of course :)

Then again I'm wanting to stay pretty tame with MY GTO, since the Formula is running a 238/240 .605"/.609" on a 112 with 2 degrees of advance... Lope lope lope ...

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
I agree Brains, It seems for the most part that GTO owners who are looking for cams want something that idles close to stock(I am in this group as well). While the F-bod guys tend to lean toward the more aggresive cams like the one you have. Must be the personality of the car expressing itself through the owner.

I personally like these 3:
220/220, .551/.551 114 LSA from thunder racing
220/220, .581/.581 on a 115 LSA from MTI
224/220, .581/.581 on a 116 LSA from MTI :secret:

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
Leggo, did you hear the news about me picking up an IBM?

:D

We'll need to pull all three of our GTO's to your shop for our Exhaust/Engine work.

·
Registered
262 Posts
JayStew said:
I agree Brains, It seems for the most part that GTO owners who are looking for cams want something that idles close to stock(I am in this group as well). While the F-bod guys tend to lean toward the more aggresive cams like the one you have. Must be the personality of the car expressing itself through the owner.

I personally like these 3:
220/220, .551/.551 114 LSA from thunder racing
220/220, .581/.581 on a 115 LSA from MTI
224/220, .581/.581 on a 116 LSA from MTI :secret:
Exactly ... My GTO is my Dr. Jeckyl, and the Formula is my Mr. Hyde :D

All of those are good cams, and would work well :D I've got a 220/224 .581/.581 114+4 sitting at my feet, but I've told myself I'm not putting it in until the OTHER projects are done :)

·
The Anti Dyno Racer
473 Posts
Shinzon said:
Artie, you work at :hail: cartek?
I help out over there once in a while(not financially compensated, just favors). I'm friends with everyone there, great bunch of people and always helpful. I won't let anyone else touch my tune, and any work on my car that I don't have time to do gets done by them. It's hard for me to let anyone else touch my car, but they've earned my trust :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts