LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
\m/ (>.<) \m/
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a local 1/8 mile drag strip today. What happened was about what I expected.

Stock street tires + IRS + my meager driving skills = best time of 9.30 @ 78 MPH with wheels spinning/hopping all the way through first AND second.

It was my first time ever to go to a drag strip. My reaction times were all over the place, from 0.86 to 1.34 and I couldn't get a 60 foot better than 2.29.

I really need to learn how to drive. And if I want to get serious about drag racing, I need to build a project car built for the strip. Like I have enough money and time for another project...

Next up is going to the autocross and learning how to really drive. That's what this car is really set up for so that's where I want to focus my attention.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
For the first time at the track it is not uncommon to have trouble getting some good times. I'm gonna have to learn to drive good come summer when the GTO arrives. I'm used to years of A4 driving that getting good with the 6M is gonna be a must.

Keep practicing :thumbs:

·
\m/ (>.<) \m/
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to get a set of BFG Drag Radials in 275/40R17 and then go back to practice.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
derf said:
I'm going to get a set of BFG Drag Radials in 275/40R17 and then go back to practice.

Are you gonna roll the fender lip to do this ?? Doesn't Nitto make 245/45-17 DR ?

·
\m/ (>.<) \m/
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Adam4356 said:
Are you gonna roll the fender lip to do this ?? Doesn't Nitto make 245/45-17 DR ?
You don't need to roll the fender lip for 275's. At least according to many I've talked to.

They won't fit on the front but I'm only getting two for the back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
you can eliminate wheel hope by installing aftermarket Torque arm
LCA's as well..look into having it lowed also..you guy have a ton
of power but it has to be put to the ground. And you can
cut 2.0 if not better in the '60 with practice. Looks like traction issues.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Illmatic said:
you can eliminate wheel hope by installing aftermarket Torque arm
LCA's as well..look into having it lowed also..you guy have a ton
of power but it has to be put to the ground. And you can
cut 2.0 if not better in the '60 with practice. Looks like traction issues.
Hello, this is a GTO board. The GTO's have an IRS rear suspension setup. We do not have the parts you speak up above. ;)

·
Banned
472 Posts
Nice :sneaky:

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Tires will help alot.

·
Registered
92 Posts
you won't have to roll the fenders with nittos. m/t will need the fenders rolled.
bill
Are the M/Ts bigger then the nittos even tho there the same size numerically??? If ur gettin the DR's look into gettin the Drag Bags they are cheap and help out a ton on the wheel hop issue or so i think any way... and yea the 275 BFG's or Nitto's will fit fine with or with out drag bags.

·
oog
6,160 Posts
m/t will need the fenders rolled.
bill
I am running 275 M/Ts,I had my factory rims widened one inch.My outer fenders are not rolled(or ground)but inner wheel tube is rolled at the bottom ahead of the shocks and the lower suspension arm is notched for clearance.With no other changes to the car except the tires,all of my 60fts dropped .05 of a second from my "best" 275 Nitto 60ft.I have driven the M/Ts in the rain,but not crazy enough to drive them in the snow,lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts