LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I'm sure this has been asked 1000 times but I utilized the search feature and read multiple responses.

I've got an 05 and am looking for front pads to install solely for track use. What pads have people had good luck with? So far, I've read that Carbotechs and Hawk HP+ are recommended. I am already familiar with the bedding process, just need to know what pads to buy and where to buy them. I am also going to change the fluid out, I am looking to bang my helmet on the windshield when I get on the brakes :)

Also, my stock pads are worn pretty badly. Which pads are good replacements for street use? No squeaking.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
i don't know for sure (since i have the fill wilwood kit on mine and i run thier pads) but I would guess carbotech. I know this is what T2GTO runs in his car and has done very well.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Go to: www.carbotecheng.com or call: (877) 899-5024

Tell them that Chris Brannon sent you. They supply my pads for my T2 GTO race car. I have tried everything and they are the best hands down......at least when using a stock braking system. You won't believe the difference. I have sent 10 or so other people the Carbotech direction and they have been very pleased. Good luck and have fun.

Later,
Chris

·
Enthusiast
1,425 Posts
HP+'s are not for serious track use, they're more of a high duty street pad that squeal a lot.

Hawk HPS's are decent street pads (I'm running them right now), and I've heard EBC Redstuff are good too (planning to switch to those). Also have heard good things about carbotech's bobcats (I think?) for street use.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
If you go EBC then go for the Yellows. They are a dedicated track pad and I use them and they work great!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. I decided on the Carbotechs (thanks Chris). I look forward to getting them on there and beating them up at the track.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
MrMcCaff said:
Thanks for the responses. I decided on the Carbotechs (thanks Chris). I look forward to getting them on there and beating them up at the track.

Make sure you flush the fluid and replace it with high temp fluid like AP600.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Doc GTO said:
Make sure you flush the fluid and replace it with high temp fluid like AP600.
Doc is giving you some good advise on flushing the brake fluid. Although the Carbotech pad disperses heat extremely well, I would use a good brake fluid other than OEM. I use Castrol SRF. Although it is very expensive, I only have to bleed my brakes two times per year while my competition is doing it several times per weekend. Good luck. If you don't know how to properly bleed the brake system......either find out or pay someone to do it. Getting on the track on lap 5 is not the time to find out you have air in the lines. Nothing makes you pucker faster than going over 100mph into a corner and your brake pedal hitting the carpet.

See ya,
Chris

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
T2GTO said:
Doc is giving you some good advise on flushing the brake fluid. Although the Carbotech pad disperses heat extremely well, I would use a good brake fluid other than OEM. I use Castrol SRF. Although it is very expensive, I only have to bleed my brakes two times per year while my competition is doing it several times per weekend. Good luck. If you don't know how to properly bleed the brake system......either find out or pay someone to do it. Getting on the track on lap 5 is not the time to find out you have air in the lines. Nothing makes you pucker faster than going over 100mph into a corner and your brake pedal hitting the carpet.

See ya,
Chris
+2. Here is some good info to read care of stoptech:
brake bleeding 101:http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_howto_bleedbrakes.shtml
brake fluid 101 (good read): http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_brakefluid_1a.shtml
rotor and pad bed in 101: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedincontents.shtml

hey chris, only thing i can think of worse is cresting A0(at HPT), then the petal goes to the floor. Had a friend in a mustang do it during a PDX. Thankfully he wasn't cooking down the straight away. Found out it was bad pads and a lot of air in the brake lines.

·
NASA Instructor, MW/GL Region
460 Posts
T2GTO said:
Go to: www.carbotecheng.com or call: (877) 899-5024

Tell them that Chris Brannon sent you. They supply my pads for my T2 GTO race car. I have tried everything and they are the best hands down......at least when using a stock braking system. You won't believe the difference. I have sent 10 or so other people the Carbotech direction and they have been very pleased. Good luck and have fun.

Later,
Chris

+ 1

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will do Chris, thanks again. I'm curious, what is the reason that the Castrol brake fluid is so much more durable than other fluids that people are using? I certainly dont mind paying more for a better fluid like that. Just buy that at a local AutoZone? Thanks!

·
Enthusiast
1,425 Posts
The Castrol fluid has a much higher wet boiling point than other brake fluid..
Brake Fluid / Dry Boiling Point / Wet Boiling Point / Suggested List Price
AP SUPER 600 590°F 410°F $18.00/16.9oz. .
CASTROL SRF 590°F 518°F $69.99/33.8oz.
NEO SUPER DOT 610 610°F 421°F $15.00/12oz.
MOTUL RACING 600 593°F 420°F $15.00/16.9oz.
MOTUL DOT 5.1 509°F 365°F $6.50/16.9oz.
ATE SUPER BLUE 536°F 392°F $11.99/33.8oz
VALVOLINE SYNPOWER 503°F 343°F $4.97/16.9oz.
ATE SL 500°F 329°F $7.95/16.9oz.
CASTROL LMA 450°F 311°F $3.50/16.9oz.
AP 551 528°F 288°F $12.50/16.9oz.

However, look at that price! If you're competing, it's worth it..

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
MrMcCaff said:
Will do Chris, thanks again. I'm curious, what is the reason that the Castrol brake fluid is so much more durable than other fluids that people are using? I certainly dont mind paying more for a better fluid like that. Just buy that at a local AutoZone? Thanks!
i really doubt it. you will most likely have to get it off the net

·
Registered
763 Posts
MrMcCaff said:

I either order it online or get it from a supplier at the track. Sorry I don't remember the web-site I got it from. Just do a search on Castrol SRF.

Chris

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have the piss poor 04 brakes, and saw a good improvement from using Hawk HPS C5 pads, and bleeding the lines and refilling with Valvoline Synpower, at least until I hit the track for the first time. They could barely slow the car toward the end of several track sessions and multiple 130+ mph haul downs. The next day I noticed that the rotors were blued, and pads glazed severely. It took at least a month to return to normal braking performance. Needless to say I wont visit the track until i upgrade these things to at least an 05 or better brake setup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts