LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Certified Pontiac Enthusiast
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home this evening, and after a right turn, I noticed the traction control was off. Thinking I had possibly bumped the switch while fooling with the shifter (dropped from D to 3 a couple :gears: times for fun), I hit the button again. The traction control didn't come back on. I'd seen this happen once before, and it righted itself after re-starting the car, so I wasn't worried.

Then I noticed something odd. The transmission was MUCH more willing to downshift! I mean a lot! Much less throttle input, and the tranny would kick down in the middle of a turn and the car would just go :burnout: . I guess that was a tad worrisome as I didn't expect it the first time and I didn't want the ends of the car to swap places just then, but in reality, the car felt amazing! :driving:

I've never noticed that effect when simply turning off the TC, and I wonder if anyone else who has had the TC get stuck off ever noticed this difference in shifting. To everyone else out there, this is how I'd like the car to feel like all the time! Would a tune get me there, and if not, what might? :turbonaug

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Bad BCM. Brake control moduel. Has no control over tourqe management now.

·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Black Devil said:
Bad BCM. Brake control moduel. Has no control over tourqe management now.
I thought the BCM was body control module? Either way, how does that disable TM? Also, does TM change the shift points relative to throttle positon? I was under the impression that TM altered timing at full throttle, but didn't do much at light/part throttle.

Now I'm really confused... :confused:

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
TM is there to reduce stress on drive train componenets. Does not have to be WOT. There are two BCM's.

Yes, you have a body control module, as well as a brake control module.

I had a similar problem with my m-6 04'. My T/C never worked. The brake control module had a bad connection onside. Causing the T/C to be non functional. Most likely your problem.

You can leave it alone if you wish.

·
smurfin' fly-by...
1,482 Posts
I agree, possibility of a brake control problem. This happened on my Grand Am and it disabled the T/C.

·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Two different BCMs...ok. Who thought that one up? Lets have two different control modules that do completely different things, but use the same acronym! That should keep people tied up for a while. :gr_jest:

I wasn't aware that TM also adjusted shift points like that. I can see shift pressure along with other things, but I'm not sure why it would change shift points as well. Oh well, I'm not a GM engineer...

You know, now that I think about it, the brakes did seem to be a little soft while this happened, but that might just be my imagination. I'm not worried about the glitch... it has only happened twice in a year and a half so...

At any rate, thats what the car would feel like with no TM? I might just have to get a tune if thats the case!

·
smurfin' fly-by...
1,482 Posts
From another thread discussing TM, it really has a lot to do with controlling torque to the rear wheels during shifting.

·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ls6gto said:
From another thread discussing TM, it really has a lot to do with controlling torque to the rear wheels during shifting.
Thats what I was thinking, just didn't really expect that change the shifting due to throttle position like that. Although, the way the various systems interact, I suppose I shouldn't really be all that surprised.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I was thinking the plug off of the intake tube slid off...after I put my CAI on I forgot to put that plug back and noticed it when I started it up, hit the button a couple of times finally notice when I open the hood up:drink:

·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What plug on the intake tube?

·
Registered
506 Posts
SpideR W said:
Two different BCMs...ok. Who thought that one up? Lets have two different control modules that do completely different things, but use the same acronym! That should keep people tied up for a while. :gr_jest:
That would be the same engineers that thought up...

1. Door locks that don't disable the alarm.

2. A parallelogram extension for the shift handle.

3. Pedal placement.

4. Roof-mounted gas tank for higher center of gravity in a RWD car with a high a$$-end and loads of torque.

5. Oil change reset that requires pressing the gas pedal.

6. Slow seat motors on a 2-door 4-seat coupe.

7. No roofline water deflection gutter.

8. Paint you can scratch with your fingernail.

Thank God the engine and tranny were designed by someone else!

They did a pretty good job on the seats, tho.

I shouldn't really complain tho. There's also (a) Monroe struts with factory-installed seal solvent, and (b) NASA foam engineers.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen to me about two weeks ago. Wouldn't come back on until I shut her off and restarted (ummm reboot??? LOL). Haven't seen this since.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts