LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
549 RWHP and 569 TQ
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to reverse the traction control switch to default to off? I get so tired of having to disengage it each time.

Dave

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
I am not aware of any member here who has done it. Legally speaking, do you really want to "undo" something that GM placed in there as a safety feature? In case you got into an accident, God knows if the people you collided with will hire a lawyer smart enough to realize you disabled the TC feature and put the blame on your car.

I completely agree with you. The TC is VERY intrusive. I mean, just regular shifting from 2-3 and 3-4 in a spirited fashion, not even doing burnouts, and you could feel that thing pushing up against your right foot!

Tell you what, it did that to me once and that was it!. As soon as I turn on the engine, I turn my TC off. It is so routine I don't even think about it anymore.

GM has to "please all the people, all the time" so they decided that the default setting is "on". There are plenty of folks who drive the goat in rain/snow states. For somebody like me who lives in the desert, it is a very useless feature. Hence, I just turn it off all the time. But I understand and appreciate its existence.

You won't find too many folks who will tamper with this function. It is almost like tampering with the airbag or the ABS.

Lots of torque + poor weather conditions + slick road surfaces = disaster

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
didn't SLP make a mod that took care of this for the Fbodies.... maybe they will do it for us.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I send SLP mail. they do but it wont work for the goat.

I've been trying to reverse the default state for a while. I stopped after burning up 3 ic's. The switch grounds a pin on the ECBM which changes the state when pressed. I was attempting to create a circuit that would do this ~ 5 or 10 sec after the key was turned on. I planning on getting back to it when things settle down.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My Dealer has a 2004 "Almost new" Siver M6 GTO for sale. It had been sold and when the doofus detailer went to fill er up, he took off the traction control and wrapped the Goat around a telephone pole. "Yes, it hade just rained". I agree its a PITA to keep shutting it off, but please dont disable it all together.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
conan said:
My Dealer has a 2004 "Almost new" Siver M6 GTO for sale. It had been sold and when the doofus detailer went to fill er up, he took off the traction control and wrapped the Goat around a telephone pole. "Yes, it hade just rained". I agree its a PITA to keep shutting it off, but please dont disable it all together.
why in the heck would you turn off the TC when you are in the rain? that is just asking for trouble. some people...

·
549 RWHP and 569 TQ
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I won't argue the merits of the system. It rains a lot here and I keep it on then. I do turn it off each time I start the car but invariably I'm talking, chewing gum or something and forget to do it. If it were more like the active handling the vette has I wouldn't be as concerned, but this thing is way too intrusive. GM gave me the ability to turn it off, I just want to choice to keep it off if I want to.

·
--Insert witty comment here--
570 Posts
TCS has been an OPTION for years on the F-body and other cars. GM made it standard on the GTO to ease production and minimize costs, less option choices, less expense, correct? If it was such a safety feature, why let me turn it off? Mercedes' TCS/ASR system is so advanced, that even if you turn it off, it merely raises the threshold before kicking in.

I agree that some features are there for our protection, or required by the govt, IE, airbags, moving the gas tank, but TCS is something that we don't require, it is simply another nice feature of these cars.
:)
Mlc-PLEASE let me know if you find a way to fix this, it rains about 10 days/year here, and I can remember to turn it on then, LOL!
;)

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
It would be nice to have a Competition Mode like I had in my Vettes where it would disable traction control but still keep the active handling in case you got too out of control but yet still let you hang the back end out around a curve if you wanted. I always drag raced in that mode, I didnt want to blow the tires loose on a shift with 500 HP or hit a slick spot on the track and go into the wall.

·
GTOINLV
157 Posts
I HATE THE T/C!!! BUT....
4 days after i bought my car i was racing my friend in his GTP. It had just rained and we were coming from the gym. I'd hit the gas to pass and the T/C would just kick in. Eveytime I got close the T/C kicked in. I said F#@$ THIS and reached over and made a terrible mistake. I turned off the T/C, punched it and hit a dip and my car went sliding sideways down the road.....When i finally got it to stick I was aimed at te curb and resolved to going up onto the curb to avoid any traffic..however when i contacted the curb my whole car slammed around into and bent the right wheels under the car as I skidded along the curb into a Denali waiting to make a right hand turn.
2.5 months in the shop and $15,000 later (Thank God for Insurance) My GTO is absilutely fine.....
Looking back on it I can't believe I was stupid..... Oh well...Live and Learn I guess.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
gtoinlv said:
I HATE THE T/C!!! BUT....
4 days after i bought my car i was racing my friend in his GTP. It had just rained and we were coming from the gym. I'd hit the gas to pass and the T/C would just kick in. Eveytime I got close the T/C kicked in. I said F#@$ THIS and reached over and made a terrible mistake. I turned off the T/C, punched it and hit a dip and my car went sliding sideways down the road.....When i finally got it to stick I was aimed at te curb and resolved to going up onto the curb to avoid any traffic..however when i contacted the curb my whole car slammed around into and bent the right wheels under the car as I skidded along the curb into a Denali waiting to make a right hand turn.
2.5 months in the shop and $15,000 later (Thank God for Insurance) My GTO is absilutely fine.....
Looking back on it I can't believe I was stupid..... Oh well...Live and Learn I guess.
Painful and expensive lesson. I don't like TC either but with all the torque under the hood there are times you need it. The fact that it kicked in a few times should have sent you a signal that maybe that day wasn't a good day to play.

Welcome to the board.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Sam 04 GTO said:
TCS has been an OPTION for years on the F-body and other cars. GM made it standard on the GTO to ease production and minimize costs, less option choices, less expense, correct? If it was such a safety feature, why let me turn it off? Mercedes' TCS/ASR system is so advanced, that even if you turn it off, it merely raises the threshold before kicking in.

I agree that some features are there for our protection, or required by the govt, IE, airbags, moving the gas tank, but TCS is something that we don't require, it is simply another nice feature of these cars.
Mlc-PLEASE let me know if you find a way to fix this, it rains about 10 days/year here, and I can remember to turn it on then, LOL!
;)
For drag racing and racing purposes. Some wheelspin is good.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Sam 04 GTO said:
;)
Found a new circuit yesterday and order one. This one has promise. If it works I post on a new thread.

·
--Insert witty comment here--
570 Posts
mlc said:
Found a new circuit yesterday and order one. This one has promise. If it works I post on a new thread.
Awesome!
I lived with 479lb-ft of torqe at the wheels of my R/T10, methinks I can handle this one, LOL!
;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts