LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently acquired an 04 gto. It seems anytime over half throttle the traction control comes on, the pedal kicks back. Mods from previous owner are intake, catback exhaust and tune (hp tuners, which I have so I can make changes, just havent looked yet).

Looking for some insight if this would be a sensor issue, or tune related as I would like to be able to drive the car with TC on at times and not have to worry about turning it off lets say when merging on the highway at 60 or above?

·
Girls in da goat = GT-HOE
232 Posts
I don't know if this applies to your situation but I find the TC system pretty intrusive on the GTO and always drive with it off. It seems quite conservative with how early it will intervene at the slightest detection of wheel spin or yaw and just shuts the car down.

·
Worthless reject member
39,925 Posts
Recently acquired an 04 gto. It seems anytime over half throttle the traction control comes on, the pedal kicks back. Mods from previous owner are intake, catback exhaust and tune (hp tuners, which I have so I can make changes, just havent looked yet).

Looking for some insight if this would be a sensor issue, or tune related as I would like to be able to drive the car with TC on at times and not have to worry about turning it off lets say when merging on the highway at 60 or above?

TCS - Low Traction Indicator ON With No Wheel Slip
Subject:
Low Traction Indicator Illumination with no Wheel Slip (Shim Wheel Speed Sensor)
# 06-05-25-005 - (12/19/2006)

Models:
2004-2006 Pontiac GTO

Condition

Some customers may comment that the low traction indicator may be illuminated with no wheel slip.

Cause

This condition may be caused by an insufficient air gap between the rear wheel speed sensors and the reluctor.

Correction

Check the air gap measurement between the reluctor and the speed sensors on both rear wheels. Adjust with a shim if required.
1. Check the air gap between the reluctor and the sensor on both of the rear wheel speed sensors. The air gap must be 1.5 mm (0.059 in) to 2.0 mm (0.079 in).

^ If the air gap is within specification and the customer concern is still present, refer to the appropriate diagnostics in SI.

^ If the air gap is less than 1.5 mm (0.059 in), a shim, P/N 90278359, must be used to achieve the correct air gap spacing.

1. Remove the speed sensor. Refer to Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement in SI.

2. Install the shim.

3. Install the speed sensor. Refer to Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement in SI.

2. Verify that the customer concern has been resolved.

·
Worthless reject member
39,925 Posts
FWIW i had the same issue last weekend with my 05. Display said low traction, but there was no wheel spin.

Oddly enough there also were a few instances beforehand where it should have engaged, and didn't.

I'll have to do a little poking around and see if the wheel sensors and ABS system are functioning correctly. The car doesn't have the original rear end, and i don't remember if the wheel sensors are original or not. Also has aftermarket stubs, so i wonder about the reluctor positioning.

In the meantime, i'll just have TCS off.

If you have an 05/06, you can detune the traction control to some extent, but it should really be functioning correctly to begin with. With an 04 you can reduce timing pull due to traction control engagement, but the throttle control module will still force the throttle closed if there is enough wheel spin. If the system isn't functioning correctly, it's best to figure out what the smurf the problem is.

·
Worthless reject member
39,925 Posts
I wonder what all the folks did before the days of computerized nannies...

They must have all died in horrible crashes because they couldn't figure out how to pedal. Just like we all died in horrible crashes before the age of the self-driving-BS.

·
Registered
2004 M6 PMB
305 Posts
I always turn it off, unless there is sudden rain. During dry weather, I want to enjoy the full power.
I remember there was the traction control chimp which would automatically default to TC off.

·
Worthless reject member
39,925 Posts
I was thinking about that device, actually.

IIRC there wad a delay after ign voltage was applied and then it sent the signal.

Might not be too hard to make your own.

·
Need To Drive More
1,465 Posts
Chimp Daddy on here and Speed Inc make the TCS default from on to off when starting the car.

·
donde esta la biblioteca
296 Posts
Chimp Daddy on here and Speed Inc make the TCS default from on to off when starting the car.
I was just gonna ask about this. is he still active on the forums??? hopefully he will chime in

·
donde esta la biblioteca
296 Posts

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I get a traction warning at times when I leave from a stop or shift in the higher RPMs without chirping but it's rare. I just ignore it. Could be much worse though like my Toyotas. My supercharged Tacoma sounded like it had touretts and it would cause wheel hop when trying to apply the brakes on the spinning wheel. I'm sure it will be the same with my 4Runner once I supercharge it.

Don't even get me started on the VSC beep.

·
Administrator
9,458 Posts
I did the TSB fix years ago with some copper washers. Haven't had a false TC activation since.
Easy enough to get in there with a feeler gauge and see if the gap meets spec.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

·
My other car has wings
443 Posts
Ordered yesterday, got an email about 15 minutes ago saying its discontinued and a refund is being processed.........does anybody else make something similar?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts