LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an external trans cooler and am trying to figure out what the best way to wire the fan is. I'm going to buy this thermostat switch that sits inline with the cooler like so(see attached)

Should I tap into an existing 12v ignition source or throw in a whole new relay? The fan says it only draws 5.6 amps but reviews are saying 11amps on start. What size relay should be used?

I may plan to add more coolers/fans later on. I've never added a relay before, but have done all sorts of stereo installs and battery relocations.

Attachments

·
2006GTO M6 dd-drag-roadcourse
1,514 Posts
Use an existing 12v acc key-on power source to trigger a standard 30/40 amp automotive relay (at either pin 85 or 86, with the other going to ground) with an inline fuse to the battery on the power side(pin 30). Pin 87 will be 12v power out to the fan. That will be your safest option. This is a simple relay setup to isolate the fan and protect your tapped 12v source.

Reactions: Evarto

·
Registered
742 Posts
Id do it like mentioned, but that's a 180 degree switch. Don't see the fluid being that hot. Idk what youre doing with it and what trans but the few coolers I installed and monitor on a few friends cars never see those temps. Maybe in a traffic jam and that's with a cooler with no fan. Both 450~ cars with built 4l60e's and 3300/3500 stalls.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts