LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
outlawpontiacdragseries.c om
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 GTO LS2 with a 4l65E that is built. I believe it has a shift kit, corvette solenoid valve, upgraded drum. I'm pretty much stock so figure 400 ft pounds of torque. The car shifts really really hard 1-2, then 2-3 starts to shift and then doesn't go in and it revs up. If I let off, it shifts, but seems like the convertor is locked then and it is slow to accelerate. It jumped out of gear in the burnout box, during the burnout, once as well. Another symptom is after I have been beating on it, when I go to shut it off there is a tire chirp like sound from the transmission.

I'm wondering if someone could take a look at my tune and tell me if something in there could be causing it. Before I had the trans built, I halved the shift times and turned the pressures all the way up. Is it possible the mechanical shift kit plus the software is causing the issues?

Any help much appreciated. Stock GTO A4 tune attached for comparison and my SD tune.

Attachments

·
MacNav08
6 Posts
Not sure if my issue is related to what you're experiencing or not, but my 05 jumps out of gear when starting off in either 1st or 2nd occasionally. Never had it jump out of any of the higher gears, and it only happens when starting off from a dead stop. I still haven't been able to tell for sure if maybe I'm not quite getting it into gear all the way, or if it's something else. Thankfully, it only happens very rarely, so I haven't done any real investigating into it yet....

Oh, for comparison's sake - no major engine / transmission / rear end mods or engine tunes (that I'm aware of) on my car....just an aftermarket 1-piece driveshaft.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not sure if my issue is related to what you're experiencing or not, but my 05 jumps out of gear when starting off in either 1st or 2nd occasionally. Never had it jump out of any of the higher gears, and it only happens when starting off from a dead stop. I still haven't been able to tell for sure if maybe I'm not quite getting it into gear all the way, or if it's something else. Thankfully, it only happens very rarely, so I haven't done any real investigating into it yet....

Oh, for comparison's sake - no major engine / transmission / rear end mods or engine tunes (that I'm aware of) on my car....just an aftermarket 1-piece driveshaft.
OP has a A4 trans so totally different system realistically.

Bump for anyone thats experienced this :smurf:

·
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OP has a A4 trans so totally different system realistically.

Bump for anyone thats experienced this :smurf:
Mine is an A4.

Any help appreciated. What should the pressies be for a built transmission? Can you halve the shift time tables to make it quicker and is that ok if you have a shift kit?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mine is an A4.

Any help appreciated. What should the pressies be for a built transmission? Can you halve the shift time tables to make it quicker and is that ok if you have a shift kit?

I was letting MacNav above me that your thread was about A4 automatic trans because he was talking about his M6 experience.

I have no experience which HP tuners and i quick google search brought me to their forum which has a large trans tuning section. i'd try there for some reading

Shift Pressures:
As far as shift pressures go I leave them at stock levels and so do many of the major builders/tuners out there. The stock levels in the GTO are max @ 90psi and are plenty fine for quick shifts. The correct way to increase shift pressures is mechanically with a shift kit. The kit will include pieces that are built to handle the increased pressure such as different springs and metal parts that replace plastic parts I.E. the boost valve. Beyond this people who boost up the pressure through the tune are risking mechanical failure for no great reason. If torque management is gone 90psi is plenty of pressure even in a stock trans to make a quick shift. Remember: its not about how HARD the trans shifts, its about how QUICK it does it. That old school nonsense about a trans that slams the tires in every gear and hits hard on shifts is just that. Nonsense. My trans is very smooth and while it definitely hits and lets you know its there, its emphasis is on speed rather than force.
Read here: https://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356667

·
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need help guys, I'm beside myself. This is a Jasper class 2 which was rebuilt with even better parts. I'm essentially at stock power levels. Even with the stock tune, I'm having issues. When I am cruising and I kick it down into 3rd it revs up and won't shift until I let off. Then it clunks into gear. I am thinking at this point it isn't software related. Supposedly the trans has the "corevette solenoid valve?", upgraded drum, shift kit, and hd clutch packs. When I first installed this trans, i was driving and the oil cooler line blew off. I had to drive it because I was on a road where I couldn't just stop. I ran it completely out of oil. I filled it up after fixing the line and it seemed ok. The torque convertor is stock and came with the trans. Any ideas? When i installed the convertor it seemed like the gap was a bit much, but I didn't have time to shim it. If the convertor is not seated deep enough all the time, could that cause these issues? Any help much appreciated.

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,060 Posts
It sounds like that trans needs to be pulled and gone through. This wouldn't be the first time that someone had to go through a few Jasper replacements before getting one that actually worked. However, if you drove the trans with it pumping itself dry, chances are good that this is a result of that action.

·
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea. I was on a road where i couldn't stop.

So would i just need to replace the bands and clutches? Would the convertor need to be opened to clean it?

·
12,060 Posts
The trans is going to need to be gone through to see what is happening. I would replace the torque converter with a new unit.

·
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would ati charge as much to up the stall on it and clean it versus buying a new one?

·
12,060 Posts
Give them a call and see what the pricing is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
4 Participants
MuhThugga
LS1GTO.com Forums
LS1GTO.com is a forum community dedicated to the LS1 Pontiac GTO. Come discuss mods, horsepower, engine specs and more!
Full Forum Listing