LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've had my car only 5 days now, put only about 250 additional miles on the car, had 97 miles when I bought, and the transmission has become increasingly difficult to get into gear from a dead stop, 1st or Reverse.

I've tried shifting into other gears, then re-trying to get 1st or Reverse, sometimes it won't budge. Letting the clutch out, then back in doesn't help much either. In order to get into gear, you have to put extra pressure on the shifter to get a gear to engage.

I noticed this morning while on a very flat surface, then when trying to get the car into Reverse, then 1st gear, I noticed the car actually attempting to move while trying for either gear. This tells me the clutch has an issue.

I'm thinking I'm suffering from the pressure plate problem other people have referenced. I've read the information posted on the TSB for pressure plate bolt torque specs, but the last of my VIN is 276545, which I'm pretty sure is after the affected TSB range of VIN's.

Anyone experience this, if so, what was the problem? It's not normal for sure.

·
NASCAR-A-HOLIC
1,211 Posts
Should still be under factory warranty. This is an issue with the clutch they would have to fix. Especially with only that much milage on it. Does you clutch seem to rattle alittle when you are stopped, out of gear and take foot off. Need to bring mine in too I think.

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
My car had a slave cylinder problem from day 1 and they replaced the entire tranny about 1000 miles.Been perfect since.I bet it's as simple as a bad slave or air in the line and needs to be bled.
Anthony

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, figured it would be covered by warranty, just wanted to get the information posted for reference to others.

Lets hope that all that needs to be done is to bleed the slave cylinder for the hydraulic clutch mechanism. Sounds logical, but I've also noticed the clutch acting grabby with a pulsation in the grab, kinda like the pressure plate and flywheel have worn/hot spot areas.

Taking it in first thing tomorrow morning for them to take a look. Will keep updates posted for reference.

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
If it hasn't been disengaging all the way it could have caused a clutch problem after the fact.Thats why they had to replace my tranny,Clutch wasn't disengaging and caused syncro failure.
Good luck
Anthony

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Shoddy Shifting

I had a real bad day yesterday trying to shift. While passing cars in the passing zone of a two lane road, I managed to miss second, grind third, and push past the "reverse lockout gate" while trying to shift into fifth.

Not once, not twice, but THREE times yesterday I embarassed myself (and the GTO) with shoddy shifting.

I have noticed that reverse is getting harder and harder to "find". Sometimes I can't tell if it's in reverse or not until I let the clutch out. That sickening metal on metal clashing sound tells me I'm not in reverse.

I have nearly 15,000 miles and the clutch pedal travel seems good. The clutch engages and disengages about half way to the floor.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
welcome to the club, my tranny is like a little child, it has its good days and its bad days.... u will get used to it, it will loossen up with more miles and you'll learn how to play with it to make it do what you want. good luck...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealer called and said they found "No Problems".

They are telling me that the transmission is perfectly normal, and that the clutch is perfectly normal as well. Infact, they are saying the transmission has to "Break-in".

Now I'm not a mechanical dummy, and I've never know a tranny to need a break-in to get a clean shift, usually the opposite it true, so this is a new one to me.

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Have someone bleed the clutch and see if it gets any better.

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Either that or beat it till it breaks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bone said:
Have someone bleed the clutch and see if it gets any better.
Yep, I had asked them to do that as well, and they did. I'm now thinking they are right about it being in the trans, because the trans has the same issue shifting with the engine off or running, and with the engine off it should shift easier. I don't think it will get easier over time, but I have a bad feeling the trans will prematurely wear-out something.

The most important thing is that it got reported and documented to a Pontiac service center, so they can't blame me for negligence or abuse, as I reported the problem so early.

·
Registered GTO Abuser
152 Posts
i work at the pontiac dealer by my house and i have had my car in 4 times and none of the techs could duplicate the concern it seems to be common on a certain batch of cars so i will keep everyone informed on this issue

·
Registered
113 Posts
i performed a viss on my car at my dealer it said the bulletin for tightening the pressure plate bolts have been performed, but mines at 1000 miles and is hard going into reverse and shifting problems and clutch seems to release too low and doesnt grip like i want, imma take the tranny out and test to see if they really tightend up the pressure plate bolts. thats probablly whats wqrong with yours.

·
Registered
50 Posts
kn7671 -

I had a similar problem where I felt notchiness shifting into first gear, getting worse over the course of 3k miles. To make a long story short, the dealership ended up replacing the first gear syncro assembly, and the goat shifts like a dream again.

I didn't have the problem you describe where the car creeps when your foot is on the clutch though. Hm.

(if you're interested in more details, follow the link in my sig)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You could say it is notchy, but the biggest problem is getting it into gear at a stoplight, or when leaving home/work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, in addition to it being notchy, once in a while it wouldn't go into first at all. Typical case:

1. Pull up to a red light.
2. Shift into neutral, take foot off clutch completely.
3. Wait for the green (the longer I waited here, the worse the next stop seemed to be...)
4. Step on the clutch.
5. Try to shift into first.

Sometimes it wouldn't go in at all; I would have to shift to second, and _then_ I could get into first.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've had problems with my clutch since day #1 (back in February). I took it in for evaluation/documentation after about 2 weeks and, like I've read so many times here, the dealership said everything looked good. Actually, they measured where the clutch engaged and told me it was "better" than good. BUT.........that didn't do ME any good.... 8 months and 6,000 miles later, it's STILL THE SAME!! I'm thinking about taking it in again. We've had it to the dragstrip about 30-40 times... no problems speedshifting. Actually, no problems on the road at all!!! We never miss or grind a gear on the road, it always happens first thing in the morning... in the garage. Reverse is impossible. With the clutch to the floor, as you try to put it into reverse, the car begins to creep backwards but won't go into gear. Then, you try 1st and it does the same thing, only not as bad. The only way to alleviate this problem is to spend about 10-15 seconds cycling the shifter through all the gears to "loosen it up". Once we're on the road, it's fine. Throughout the day, fine also. Sometimes, it feels like it's in reverse until you begin to let the clutch out and hear it grinding. It's annoying and unacceptable. I'm glad I read through this thread, it's made me angry enough again to take it back in for another look.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have noticed same thing with my car when cold. I have had it about a week. Trouble shifting when I first start up into reverse or 1st. Once tranny is warm with some driving, I have no further problems.

Car build date June 04.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine will not go in to any gear after start ups.I give it a few little reves and it goes in gear.Then does fine after driving.It was like butter until I hit like 7k.I still haven't taken it in to the dealer.I was expecting it to get worse,but it has not.

My ? is this.Any previous f-body/corvette owners with the m6 have the same problems?My old f-body was a auto.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts