LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Helms can be a nightmare trying to chase something through the manual. Those that have them will know what I mean. It's chiefly a diagnostic and repair hint book for the Techs, and not a how we did it, part numbers, and where it goes book. That said, many, many of the illustrations are Monaro specific and give hints to possibly untapped capabilities in the GTO version. One such is the Transmission 'Mode' swith for the A4's that is present on the Monaro, but the switch and location for it are missing in the GTO, just as the underhood lamp is, but they're both in the Helms. I started chasing this a while ago, and put it aside when my eyes crossed. I am going to post what I have found in dollops as I confirm the books with a look in the car (some disassembly required)... Here is the starter. ;)

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
That is cool stuff. I figure that I know what the light does but what would the Transmission Mode switch do for us?
:drink: :drink:

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tm

Tails said:
That is cool stuff. I figure that I know what the light does but what would the Transmission Mode switch do for us?
:drink: :drink:
In the Monaros, it is used for towing, etc. It puts the transmission in 'business' mode, firming the shifts up.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Seems to me that would do the same thing that the Predator does, no? At least transmission-wise.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Similar

phobos512 said:
Seems to me that would do the same thing that the Predator does, no? At least transmission-wise.
Somewhat similar, but probably not as pronoumced. Our friends down under could enlighten us more, no doubt...

·
1,263 Posts
Thanks OldGoat

I'm not 100% sure but I think this mode switch relates directly to the Performance page that all the HP Tuner guys were reffering too. If the switch is working then you could have the best of both worlds. Normal mode and Performance mode. I am not sure, but I think you would need HP Tuner to take advantage of it once you got it hooked up and working. I may be WAY off base here, but I recall the camaro's and corvette's had the switch and it raised the performance level of the Car.
It would be nice if the harness was there under the dash just waiting for the switch!

P.S. OldGoat, thanks alot for getting this started, I know your not 100% right now and yet your still at it :)
I appreciate it.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Old Goat said:
Somewhat similar, but probably not as pronoumced. Our friends down under could enlighten us more, no doubt...
How is pronoumced pronounced? :)

I would be very curious to see what could be rigged up. Did you pop the cover to see if there are any empty connectors down there?

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shifter

phobos512 said:
How is pronoumced pronounced? :)

I would be very curious to see what could be rigged up. Did you pop the cover to see if there are any empty connectors down there?
The shifter would need to be pulled apart, and the Helms shows two connectors back there plugged in. One where there is no corresponding switch. If found under there, there is still a lot of chasing and tracing to figure out where the other end is, whether or not it is plugged in there, and what it wants to 'see' on the pins for each mode.

·
549 RWHP and 569 TQ
414 Posts
Kind of sounds like the Performance Shift mode on GTP's. For those not familiar, 97 thru 00 had this and a button on the shifter that switched between modes. After 00 GM dropped the option. Those of us who got reprogrammed PCM's just had to buy a new shifter knob and run one wire to the PCM and we got it back. It made a noticable difference in shifts. It was cool, GM never updated the DIC's so when it was hooked back up the "Perf. Shift" light was there and lit up when you engaged it.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Wavydavy GTO said:
Kind of sounds like the Performance Shift mode on GTP's. For those not familiar, 97 thru 00 had this and a button on the shifter that switched between modes. After 00 GM dropped the option. Those of us who got reprogrammed PCM's just had to buy a new shifter knob and run one wire to the PCM and we got it back. It made a noticable difference in shifts. It was cool, GM never updated the DIC's so when it was hooked back up the "Perf. Shift" light was there and lit up when you engaged it.
this is exactly what i was thinking of.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Guys
I work with late model cars and trucks daily.The General may have left the wiring harness there,but the PCM may not be programed to change line pressure.The way it would work is it would send a 5 volt signal to the PCM which would tell it you want the shifts to be firmer.I think it might not be as easy as plug and play.Wrong move and the magic smoke is let out of PCM . I will check and see what wiring info we have and find out if this can be done,and how it works for shure.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That would be great!

LS1GURU said:
Guys
I work with late model cars and trucks daily.The General may have left the wiring harness there,but the PCM may not be programed to change line pressure.The way it would work is it would send a 5 volt signal to the PCM which would tell it you want the shifts to be firmer.I think it might not be as easy as plug and play.Wrong move and the magic smoke is let out of PCM . I will check and see what wiring info we have and find out if this can be done,and how it works for shure.
The signal definitely goes to one of the control modules, but which one? Don't forget too, this was a Monaro, so the PTM, BCM, and PIM should be the same. No doubt sooner or later we will figure out how the signal is routed. They wouldn't simply send it to the tranny itself? I was beginning to get that idea from the myriad little snippets and diagrams throughout the Helms...nah! Too simple.

·
549 RWHP and 569 TQ
414 Posts
Even with the GTP's the only way you got it back was to have a reprogrammed PCM that had it added back in, then you could just plug in to it.

·
1,263 Posts
HP Tuners

HP Tuners would allow you to program that part , I'm pretty sure. All the guys using it were mentioning the empty performance page. Someone from HP Tuners said the page was for the transmission if you had the button.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts