LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all:

does anyone have a transmission rattle and vibration while the trans in under a load? My car has been in the shop since i bought it, it was delivered with 7 miles on it, returned with 8. It now has 33 miles on it courtesy of the pontiac garage and a pretty good vibration and rattle from the transmission.

thanks to all who respond.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Depends on what you're talking about. If you mean when you put it in 4th and accelerate from very low RPM (ie. 1000) and it makes that infamous "marbles in a can" sound that clears up over 2000'ish RPM, that's inherent to the transmission. Camaros and Firebirds do it, Corvettes do it, Vipers do it, Cobras do it... Some are a bit louder than others, but its just a quirk of the box. Heck, the T56's predecessor (T5) did it too :)

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
no more then usual, do u feel it in the car or just when your hand is on the stick, cause vibration on the stick is normal, but i am soo paranoid with this new car, i think that there is something wrong every day! theres a big difference between driving someone elses car thats stick and having your own and letting people drive it, never really thought of how i beat up on people's cars till now..... i guess its the whole karma thing.... u know i didnt ask, do u have a a4 or m6, cause that would make a difference too....

·
2010 Camaro SS Owner
408 Posts
If you mean an annoying rattle (that almost sounds like a light lifter knock) under load at 3000-4500 rpm, then yes, I have it. It is some problem in the shift linkage. If you push (or pull) the knob into the gear you're in and hold the knob there in the gate, the noise goes away. As soon as you release pressure from the knob, the rattle comes back. I don't like it but I don't need my car at the dealers for a day or 3 months for them to fix it either...

·
Registered
6 Posts
The rattle I feel is in 2nd gear under any load, you can actually hear it sometimes. It also shows up from time to time in 3rd gear as well. I agree with trm100, that I dont want my car in the dealers hands for something they either wont be able to find, or will tell me that it is normal for the M6.

·
Daddy's Race Car
239 Posts
I just started having the same issue, but mine clears up after about 5 min. It's only annoying b/c it sounds like the tranny is going to fall out of the car. Has anyone found a root cause on this??? Since it goes away so fast, it could be fluid related?? I wonder if changing the fluid would help?

·
Daddy's Race Car
239 Posts
OK, an update... took a buddy for a ride tonight to listen to the problem. He said it sounds like a throwout bearing, which he elaborated wasn't a good thing. Has anyone else had this problem on their GTO? Help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts