LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It's a 2016 3.5 Ecoboost. Backed it 200 ft plus down my ice/packed powder driveway with no problems. I'm used to trailers, just never had one tall/wide enough to block out my rear view window. Wind is definitely a concern to me, an annual trip will be Colorado to California, so the desert can be nasty. Grew up near Santa Barbara, so will be going back there and camping on the beach or one of the reservoirs I grew up on. Tons of things to hit on the trip between, so will keep it interesting. Zion, Arches, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Joshua Tree, Yosemite, Sequoia, and all the beaches.

·
Yabba Dabba Doo!!
2,005 Posts
Is your F150 an eco-B? I'd imagine it'd tow that smaller trailer fairly well. (as would the 5.0 honestly too) Might get interesting in windy conditions, and you're gonna become a trailer backing champ in time!
I used to have a 30ft travel trailer. F150 ecoboost pulled like a champ, the low end torque even on hills minimized the downshifting. No constant 3 or 4 gear engine screaming like a V8. Once, coming back from West Texas it was rainy and windy. Hit a gust and fishtailed me and before I knew it I was in the other lane. One of the most scariest moments of driving I have ever had. Luckily nobody was in the that lane. The irony is F150 had some fancy feature to detect sway, well the warning light did not go off until after I was in the other lane and everything corrected going straight again. Speaking for experience spend the money on a good weight disruption hitch and make sure it is setup properly with a half ton truck pulling a TT and don't be worried about sitting in the right lane chugging along at the speed limit or slower with yucky weather.

OP I am very jealous, I miss my travel trailer. Camping is a great way to get out and see so many beautiful places in our country. I still go a few years but I want to convince the wife to sell the house when we retire and get a big 5th wheel and F350 and go full time traveling the country.

·
DW can't take a J... or a D
2,283 Posts
It's a 2016 3.5 Ecoboost. Backed it 200 ft plus down my ice/packed powder driveway with no problems. I'm used to trailers, just never had one tall/wide enough to block out my rear view window. Wind is definitely a concern to me, an annual trip will be Colorado to California, so the desert can be nasty. Grew up near Santa Barbara, so will be going back there and camping on the beach or one of the reservoirs I grew up on. Tons of things to hit on the trip between, so will keep it interesting. Zion, Arches, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Joshua Tree, Yosemite, Sequoia, and all the beaches.
Awesome part of the country to live in with a trailer. We considered looking at one before we got a boat, but realized there's practically nowhere here within an 8-10 hour driving distance worth camping at.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,679 Posts
nice - that's a good thing post.

what's the weight on that? I sort of have thought about it, some of my co-workers do camping with a trailer and they have smaller kids. I sort of see an appeal but I don't know the wifey does. I have no where to park the thing if I buy one though so that throws a wrench in that idea.

But to your point along with my 50 state Idea I've wanted to hit all the national parks too. Specifically I want to see rushmore and yellow stone. so when youngest kiddo gets to be 5 we might make that happen.

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It is 4,838 unloaded, GVW is 5,995, and 23'-6" long. So it is on the small side, but we are looking at it as a place to sleep and hold our gear. Most National Parks you have to be under 25 ft to get a site. I'm going to outfit it with solar when I get the chance, may be a year as gathering gear isn't cheap. We want to boondock a lot on shorter trips or crossing the country so there is less long ahead planning needed.

Our goal is to weekend camp 2-3 times per month in the summer, with a few longer trips thrown in. We live 20-30 minutes in to the foothills out of Denver, so I got room to store it and we are that much closer to places. For a short trip, I can drive 30 minutes and be at a few state wildlife areas and tons of USFS access. Plus the father in law has 35 acres in South Park we can always camp at. So really excited and hoping we do go that often.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My flight to Hong Kong next week has been canceled and I did not rebook my flight but instead request for refund.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,679 Posts
Probably a good thing I certainly wouldn't want to go over there right now. Even if I didn't catch anything etc - getting back home would be a castigated pain.

smurf that.

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Well guessing not many trips are happening. We finally got the trailer out for the first time. Went to the father in-law's property in South Park. Felt good to get out of the house for a few days. Now I have an idea of mods I want to do. First on the list is more battery and solar.
South Park - 2.jpg

This is actual South Park, bit different than the show. Only heard dirt bikes a couple times. No one really around. Houses in this area have no public electricity, everything is solar, wind, or generators.
South Park - 3.jpg

Built a table because we figure we'll spend a bunch of time there this summer. Not many options on what to do with the closures.
South Park - 4.jpg

Bunch of old trees, dead trees. Father in-law said some are bristlecones. There's lots of evidence of history on the property. Narrow gauge track beds, arrowheads, old fallen trees and left behind timbers they cut and shaped for railroad ties. There's a spring so people used it for a long time.
South Park - 5.jpg

The kids found petrified rocks, sea shells (at 9800'), an arrowhead, little barrel cactus, and baby potentia bushes in bloom.
South Park - 6.jpg

South Park - 7.jpg

South Park - 8.jpg

Happy dogs. Took both the kids and four dogs. Dogs loved running all over the place and we didn't have to worry about neighbors.
South Park - 9.jpg

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,679 Posts
Nice. Had I known we would end up in this state last summer I might have thought harder about buying a something.

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I know you have a similar truck Napalm. I read of people hauling much larger trailers with 1/2 tons, and I'm happy we didn't go that route. Maybe it is being in the mountains versus flatland or I just like to not push limits with a truck. It pulls all the grades fine and the anit-sway bars/weight distribution does great. Wind would not be fun, we got a couple gusts coming back.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,679 Posts
Yeah I don't get it either. I mean OK yes the TOW rating of the __ F150 is supposedly 10K lbs or whatever. So by damn I pull a 10K trailer . . . . . . .

I don't feel comfortable getting more than 1.5 times the empty truck weight unless it's a real HD truck. But note the GVW of a F250 vs a 150. anyway I would stop in that 8K lbs area with our F150 as it weighs 5100 empty if the tag is to be believed. I think that is plenty. LIke you said it's not about moving the trailer hell I'm sure it would move a 20000 lbs trailer. Its about holding the road when you turn and there is a breeze or whatever in the way. Or braking.

Regardles looks like you're having fun out there. Around me some of the state parks have cabins or rooms you can rent to visit so I've never really thought I just had to have a trailer. I know people that do. Well today, if I had a trailer I could go camp at one, but I can't rent the cabin. So go figure.

·
Buckethead
1,921 Posts
Since no one is really traveling this year, all I can say is you would be surprised on how much you haven't seen in the state you live in. Once you get that out of the way, there's 49 more.

Looks like you've got it handled though.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
#1 rule to having a great vacation: Attitude!!!

Be laid back
Don't rush, give yourself plenty of time for everything
Enjoy the surroundings
Don't expect it to be "like home"

You can have a great time almost anywhere. Also, agree with VGT. To took my Mom to Paris many years ago. Did the usual. Had a wonderful time in an awesome city. JMO

Will post some more later.
This
Me and my wife recently went to Italy (Naples, Rome, Florence, and Venice) and Switzerland (Lucern, Interlaken/Grindelwald, Zermatt) and sadly we fought a good bit on the trip, but when we were in a good mood it was the greatest trip I had ever been on. Highly recommend it but as for tourist traps yes all those places are big tourist traps. Once you get into the mountains in Switzerland though it can be just you and your significant other or just you and the wilderness and Gods wonderful creations.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts