LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Escaped humiliation, that is. LOL.

I was first in line at the next red light and I checked my rearview to see who the challenger would be in the right lane. I saw a gloss black Z06 pulling up. I just laughed, knowing I didn't have a chance.

The Vette driver was wearing a business suit so I wasn't sure he'd be interested, but he was. The light turned green and we both BABIED off the line waiting to see who would do what. I punched it, he punched it, I wheel hopped/barked second and a white delivery van pulled into the lane in front of me.

Immediate shutdown! So, did the Vette, so we never even got to wind out second. But he was pulling me from the get go and there's no doubt in my mind he would have smoked me bad.

Still, I was at least willing to try, just for the fun of it. :D

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Florit I can't believe you still have your license :sneaky:

You are a mad man with that GOAT :burnout: :gr_devil:

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
FLORIT said:
Still, I was at least willing to try, just for the fun of it. :D
When I was stock, I did a couple of brief highway jaunts with a C5 Vette. He slowly reeled me in on the first and then slowly walked me on the second.

Can't wait to meet up with one now. Me: :secret: Vette-driver: :eek:

Padre

·
I did a bad, bad thing
1,450 Posts
PadreGTO said:
When I was stock, I did a couple of brief highway jaunts with a C5 Vette. He slowly reeled me in on the first and then slowly walked me on the second.

Can't wait to meet up with one now. Me: :secret: Vette-driver: :eek:

Padre
Vettes are fun, it's been awhile since I've "feared" a run of the mill C5, and after August 14th I won't even be a bit scared of a Z06. That's what an estimated 475awhp will do for ya :D

Of course H/C/I Z's on slicks will still most likely bring the pain. If done right, those suckers can hit 10s all day N/A and then drive home.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
STi said:
Vettes are fun, it's been awhile since I've "feared" a run of the mill C5, and after August 14th I won't even be a bit scared of a Z06. That's what an estimated 475awhp will do for ya :D

Of course H/C/I Z's on slicks will still most likely bring the pain. If done right, those suckers can hit 10s all day N/A and then drive home.
Thats gonna be insane.......and how much does that thing weigh again?

Wow we need some dyno and track #'s after you get it there. :hail:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wish I could take down a C5 easily. :banghead:

That is a sweet Sti you have there. What were your stock times and trap?

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
The Vette driver was wearing a business suit so I wasn't sure he'd be interested, but he was. The light turned green and we both BABIED off the line waiting to see who would do what. I punched it, he punched it, I wheel hopped/barked second and a white delivery van pulled into the lane in front of me.

Immediate shutdown! So, did the Vette, so we never even got to wind out second. But he was pulling me from the get go and there's no doubt in my mind he would have smoked me bad.

Still, I was at least willing to try, just for the fun of it. :D[/QUOTE]

Always be willing! You never know . . . Rock on FLORIT

·
I did a bad, bad thing
1,450 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
Thats gonna be insane.......and how much does that thing weigh again?

Wow we need some dyno and track #'s after you get it there. :hail:
It's not light, race weight for mine (w/ me in car) was 3320lbs. I weigh about 180lbs. That was with the safety kit removed, 1/4 tank of gas, etc.

I'll be sure to get dyno numbers as soon as it's tuned, I'm hoping for the next day, but things don't always go exactly according to plan. But I won't mind if they keep it for a week or so, I get to pimp my Dad's S4 for as long as necessary, because he won't let me drive his "baby," which, believe it or not, is a 1995 Impala SS!

GTP_SLEEPER said:
I wish I could take down a C5 easily. :banghead:

That is a sweet Sti you have there. What were your stock times and trap?
I never owned the car when it was completely stock. I bought it used for $27k in the fall, the previous owner had to go abroad for work and couldn't take the car with him. Only mods it had was a catback, the Vishnu XEDE engine mgmt, and some pulleys as far as performance stuff goes.

The best I did at the track right after I got it -- mind you I was also learning how to drive an AWD turbo four after "mastering" (in my own mind) my former rwd V8 Mustang -- was a [email protected] Those numbers are right there for an average driver in a stock STi. I then began modding, got a better tune, added more goodies, and kept working on my driving skills, eventually getting it down to the time in my sig. I do believe that I could've driven my car the way it was when I bought it to a low 13 second run.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Holeshot said:
Florit I can't believe you still have your license :sneaky:

You are a mad man with that GOAT :burnout: :gr_devil:
That's cause he takes it right home and hides it. I know he loves it too much to cover it with leaves or hide it in the back 40....Wait! I have it! He got one of those airbrushed stealth :D Cavalier junker car covers like in the Kia commericial!

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL, well it helps to live in a cul-de-sac low in the hollow surrounded by tall trees with a carport framed by hedges.

In truth, however, I can't hide my car at all. It is absolutely a one-of-a-kind around here and any eye witness description would lead the police right to me. Not to mention an unforgettable license plate. I mean, really, how hard would it be to remember the tag of that "red car with shiny wheels and a racing hood that zoomed past me, tires smoking, exhaust growling, driver smiling..."

Seriously, I might as well put a target on the roof for the police choppers to zoom in on.

·
I did a bad, bad thing
1,450 Posts
GTP_SLEEPER said:
That trap seems really low though. Is that a typo or was there another reason for it? I have never seen a 13s STi time with a trap that low, just wondering.
Trap speed has ALWAYS been low on this car, no one has ever been able to explain it. I've let others drive it, and they've gotten equivalent or worse times and traps. I don't exactly know what's up with it, but it always turns in great ETs, 60' times, 1/8 times and so forth, but the speed just isn't what it should be.

I don't remember the EXACT speed of that run, but it was 94.XX, of that I AM sure.

But 112mph is low for an ET of 12.255 too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
STi said:
Trap speed has ALWAYS been low on this car, no one has ever been able to explain it. I've let others drive it, and they've gotten equivalent or worse times and traps. I don't exactly know what's up with it, but it always turns in great ETs, 60' times, 1/8 times and so forth, but the speed just isn't what it should be.

I don't remember the EXACT speed of that run, but it was 94.XX, of that I AM sure.

But 112mph is low for an ET of 12.255 too.
AWDs make all their time in the first 60'. Takes a ton of HP to keep them going good all the way to the finish becuase of the drivetrain. Thats why they run great times but trap low. Somebody else can probably explain it better than I can.

·
I did a bad, bad thing
1,450 Posts
Blitzu said:
Low trap speeds are probally because the cars do not pull on the top end... they are bottom end cars. All their power lies in the launch and the first 100feet.... but the power just gets worse as the car gets up there. It makes sense when you think about it launching and nailing the first 330 mark like a bat out of hell, but after that the car is almost a sitting duck. It was designed for rally racing which needs that low end power bursts and AWD to get it through turns and tough terrain. They are not meant to be drag cars, fast but still not built for that purpose.

You're absolutely right, but I was speaking more in terms of my car specifically. Compared to other STi's it even tends to trap lower. That's what I can't explain. You're absolutely right why cars like the STi and Evo trap slower speeds than their rwd or even fwd counterparts at the same ET. Less parasitic drivetrain loss.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dyin' for a Dyno

Under-performing and Over-performing vehicles of similar models is something that makes sense to me. Judging by my drag strip numbers, I would think my vehicle is an "under-performer." I am not, however, an experienced drag racer, so the numbers have to be skewed by driver ability.

On the other hand, while driving on the Interstate and going from an 80 MPH kick, I can't believe my GTO is anything but an "over-performer." This car simply ROCKS on the Interstate, and I have yet to encounter anything I couldn't at least hang with. (Yeah, yeah, I KNOW there are plenty of cars "out there" that can kick my ass, but I haven't ENCOUNTERED any.)

But all this subjectivity aside, I am DYING to get on a dyno and find out where I really stand. Have the minor mods and miniscule tuning that I have done really HELPED my car or have I HURT my car? Only real scientific data can tell me.

·
3,327 Posts
FLORIT said:
But all this subjectivity aside, I am DYING to get on a dyno and find out where I really stand. Have the minor mods and miniscule tuning that I have done really HELPED my car or have I HURT my car? Only real scientific data can tell me.
Hey Sam,

If you find that you have hurt your car with your HP tuner's software, I can take that off your hands. :secret: Since you seem to need $$ now, that is... Ill make a reasonable offer, I swear. :wall: :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts