LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you folks tell me which cars being sold right now, both foreign and domestic, other than the 2004 GTO, have a TRUE dual exhaust system?

Viper?
Z06?
Mustang Cobras?

anyone? I have a bet to settle with a friend and I need some info ASAP.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Corvettes, Viper, V8 mustangs

Cant think of anything else.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
As far as foreign the Lexus LS430 I believe and the TRD V8 Tundra. Viper, Vettes, V8 stangs . . .

·
Moving Forward
2,163 Posts
I'm kinda confused what the meaning of True Dual exhaust is. I know the GTO has seperate pipes from heads to the exhaust pipe end. Is that the true dual exhaust? I see some people advertising true dual exhaust with an x-pipe attached. Can this still be true dual exhaust?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Razinhell said:
I'm kinda confused what the meaning of True Dual exhaust is. I know the GTO has seperate pipes from heads to the exhaust pipe end. Is that the true dual exhaust? I see some people advertising true dual exhaust with an x-pipe attached. Can this still be true dual exhaust?
Yes, I'd also like to hear more about this. In another thread I was told that the X- or even H- pipe generally gives more HP but the goat was kept separate for the sound quality. But like you, I don't know what is considered true dual and what is not. It's pretty clear what ISN'T-- both manifolds dumping into one pipe and muffler etc is obviously not duals. Also two pipes going into one muffler, even if split back into two exit pipes is not true duals. Beyond that I do not know..............

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Many plain jane GM Trucks also have a true dual system, at least up to the muffler anyway. From there it comes out in one tailpipe.

My 8.1 was a true dual setup up to the big muffler, simply removing that, replacing it with two individual mufflers and a separate pipe out behind each wheel, netted a true dual setup.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
'True dual' is used with many different meanings. The GTO has a true dual with separate flow from the engine to the outlets. Many performance vehicles as stated have duals with an 'x' or 'H' or 'Y' crossover. I often see this still referred to as true dual exhaust - but I would technically say it isn't really. The crossover - given appropriate tuning of lengths of exhaust - can give a bit more hp than a completely separate system. This is due to a 'pull' or 'scavenging' affect of one bank helping to pull exhaust gases from the other bank system.
Dan

·
Registered
223 Posts
"True dual exhausts" typically refers to systems that have two pipes out of the engine, through two catalytic converters, and out through two seperate outlets. The X or H pipe is there for pressure leveling purposes, not to allow exhaust to flow freely oiut both sides.

The opposite is a Y pipe setup, where the pipes out of the engine come together prior to the catalytic converter, run through a single cat, then together for some distance, before exiting either a single outlet or through dual outlets (but not dual exhaust).

·
Ph.D. in R.E.
407 Posts
A good crossover (X or H pipe) can develop as much as 10 ft/lbs of torque over the non-crossover system, if it's placed correctly. It will also mellow the exhaust note somewhat, which is probably why the GM guys blocked it off.

The H-pipe was a rather elegant solution to the nightmare of running 180 deg crossover headers. If you think normal headers are tough, try running one pipe from each bank over to the other collector!

Although the stock system has some flats in the pipes, the usual cause of hp loss is the stock mufflers. Manufacturers have to meet much stricter noise standards than the aftermarket guys do, so there's almost always an advantage in going to aftermarket mufflers, even if you keep the stock pipes.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Yup!

DANSLS1 said:
'True dual' is used with many different meanings. The GTO has a true dual with separate flow from the engine to the outlets. Many performance vehicles as stated have duals with an 'x' or 'H' or 'Y' crossover. I often see this still referred to as true dual exhaust - but I would technically say it isn't really. The crossover - given appropriate tuning of lengths of exhaust - can give a bit more hp than a completely separate system. This is due to a 'pull' or 'scavenging' affect of one bank helping to pull exhaust gases from the other bank system.
Dan
The original term for the crossover or X pipe was 'balance tube', and it helps two ways as said elsewhere here, a scavenging effect for the out of phase cylinders in the other bank, and a noise amelioration effect for the cylinders in the other bank that can get highly technical in discussing. All that said, there is a formula around here somewhere for determing the proper size and length of a 'balance pipe' to tailor these effects to your desired ends...suffice it to say I will look and post whenever I might (and if) find it. It also makes an engine and exhaust system more efficient and has been known to add one or two MPG. The effects are most pronounced in a restrictive system. Right on the money Dan! :)

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
And also - remember that you can obviously make lots of power without any exhaust mixing or crossover. Most race cars run straight headers - and the top end drag racers run open pipes from each cylinder. It's all a matter of what you need and want out of your system.
Dan

·
Moving Forward
2,163 Posts
Aside from that all V8 Mustangs have an H pipe. So if you believe that an H-pipe is okay fro true dual exhaust then i guess you can consider it true dual exhaust. The 2005 Mustang has one too.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
chris_wiz said:
"True dual exhausts" typically refers to systems that have two pipes out of the engine, through two catalytic converters, and out through two seperate outlets. The X or H pipe is there for pressure leveling purposes, not to allow exhaust to flow freely oiut both sides.

The opposite is a Y pipe setup, where the pipes out of the engine come together prior to the catalytic converter, run through a single cat, then together for some distance, before exiting either a single outlet or through dual outlets (but not dual exhaust).
NICE '65 convertible Chris! :)

·
IBM GTO owner
60 Posts
All BMW's currently have true dual exhaust. However most of them have single outlet to one side much like the GTO. Weather it is a I6 or a V8 or V12. The only cars currently with true dual exhaust and dual outlet are 740i/iL, 750iL, 645Ci, M5, M3, and X5. All other BMW's 3,5,7(e65),Z4 are true dual outleting to one side. Even the 4 cylinder 318's and Z3's had true dual on them outletting to one side.

Side note, i've driven a G35 and was kinda disapointed by it. It had decent power but handled like ass and couldn't keep the power to the ground.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts