LS1GTO.com Forums banner

6901 - 6920 of 7454 Posts

·
Fake bacon lover
11,107 Posts
I recall that they all met beforehand to work out a set of mutually acceptable items to be included and while that was a good effort, both sides seem to have again embraced their partisan BS in the end.
This so saddens me. Late last week, there seemed to be some hope that YES those fucks in Congress might actually see the broad picture and work together in a bi-partisan way for the American people. But..... When it came down, they start shoving their agenda down the pike. And fight each other on it.

About the only thing the Government can do well is go to war. Wanna invade a sandy place or bomb the fuck outta people? Yes We Can. Now come to some conclusion on what or why we are doing it or what the end game is... uh, nope. Not in the play book. Just blow up shit. No nation on Earth can touch us on that ability. 'Merica!! Fuck Yeah.

·
GR-RRR!
5,299 Posts
I'm not sure it was mentioned before or maybe I missed it, but hasn't Rand Paul been diagnosed with COVID-19? Anyone know how many member of Congress have been confirmed? And they have yet to allow for remote voting...... Stupid is as stupid does.

To answer my own question, an article from yesterday says 3 have it and another 4 are in self-quantine.

·
1 of 40,757
6,376 Posts
The hold up is D concern over a $500 billion pool of money for loans and loan guarantees that Republicans want to create, which some Democrats are labeling a “slush fund” because the Treasury Department would have broad discretion over who receives the money.

$425 billion in loans and loan guarantees meant to rescue “eligible businesses, states or municipalities.” Allegedly it would give the Treasury Department the ability to direct funds to specific companies that have appealed to the White House.

“They’re throwing caution to the wind for average workers and people on Main Street and going balls to the wall for people on Wall Street,” Sen. Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.) said of Republicans.

“I don’t want to give a bailout to a company and then have somebody go out and use that money to buy back stock in the company and raise the price and then get a bonus,” Trump said. “So I may be Republican, but I don’t like that. I want them to use the money for the workers.”

So why is this a sticking point?
I keep hearing it's only because it won't benefit D businesses? Why are R's so stuck on this one point?

I see nothing wrong with fair distribution of 1/2 a trillion having oversight.

·
Fake bacon lover
11,107 Posts
I'm not sure it was mentioned before or maybe I missed it, but hasn't Rand Paul been diagnosed with COVID-19? Anyone know how many member of Congress have been confirmed? And they have yet to allow for remote voting...... Stupid is as stupid does.

To answer my own question, an article from yesterday says 3 have it and another 4 are in self-quantine.
Yup

And the poop was that Paul went in to get tested, then went and used Senate Gym & swimming pool*. Knowing he might be infected. Paul at times is just a freaking goof ball. No surprise he got is ass beat by his neighbor. That said, I still agree with him on a lot of issues.

Cruz went in to self-quarantine for 10 days (isn't it supposed to be 14?) - but say's he's fine now and is back.

*Senate has a pool and gym - that's still open. "Must be nice"

·
GR-RRR!
5,299 Posts
I see nothing wrong with fair distribution of 1/2 a trillion having oversight.
That money DOES need some kind of oversight. While Trump says "I don't like that" (meaning dumping it into a slush fund), I don't think the Dems are willing to take his word for it, they want it in writing/legislation. And I don't blame them, but they need to also not hold this up by trying to load it up with a bunch of unrelated pork. This bill is NOT the time or place to porkify.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Very true. I certainly don't need a check (but I won't mail mine back). Lots of people who do, though. Like my tenants. Mail them a check so they can mail me mine, lol.
Im in the same boat, but wouldn’t pausing essential bills like mortgages and rent be better than a ridiculously expensive one-time check? If BoA pauses my mortgage, I can pause my tenant‘s rent and costs less than billions of dollars.

·
Administrator
20,301 Posts
Yeah, but do that then all of a sudden the banks are facing a liquidity crisis and then we bail them out anyway.
I am NOT a financial/economics expert (I am trying to learn) but it seems to me that excessive quantitative easing, flooding the overnight repo market/etc has actually created WAY too much cash in the system. The liquidity issue is not that people or banks or businessness dont have cash, but that they dont want to invest it. Printing more cash so dumber people will invest it only props up a system in a desperate need of a correction.

The whole reason the stock market was so inflated is because there was too much cash going around, companies were buying back their own stock because they didn't know what to do with their cash and interest rates are way too fucking low.

We keep painting ourselves into a corner and now we are on a pogo stick waiting to fall over. This virus was just the match that lit it all off, but people and businesses holding on their cash wont be fixed by running the dollar printing press in overtime.

But, I am no expert.

·
Fake bacon lover
11,107 Posts
The whole reason the stock market was so inflated is because there was too much cash going around, companies were buying back their own stock because they didn't know what to do with their cash and interest rates are way too fucking low.
Nailed it.

But hey, another $2 Trillion is coming down the pike! Woo-hoo!!!

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,143 Posts
$425 billion in loans and loan guarantees meant to rescue “eligible businesses, states or municipalities.” Allegedly it would give the Treasury Department the ability to direct funds to specific companies that have appealed to the White House.

“They’re throwing caution to the wind for average workers and people on Main Street and going balls to the wall for people on Wall Street,” Sen. Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.) said of Republicans.

“I don’t want to give a bailout to a company and then have somebody go out and use that money to buy back stock in the company and raise the price and then get a bonus,” Trump said. “So I may be Republican, but I don’t like that. I want them to use the money for the workers.”

So why is this a sticking point?
The President's word does not equate to written legislation.

Even if he takes a Sharpie to the bill before signing, it doesn't count.

·
Here for the Gangbang
2,020 Posts
Buuuut his Tweets, though - those are tantamount to administration policy. You can take that shit to the bank.

·
Jimmy Rustler
9,762 Posts
In other jaw dropping news, new Gasllup study finds Trump approval rating the highest it has ever been, at 49%. 45% disapprove. The reason? According to CNN, his handling of Covid crisis. ?

·
GR-RRR!
5,299 Posts
In other jaw dropping news, new Gasllup study finds Trump approval rating the highest it has ever been, at 49%. 45% disapprove. The reason? According to CNN, his handling of Covid crisis. ?
Absolutely mind boggling.

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,464 Posts
I would prefer a freeze on most debt, and wait and see what happens, then react. This 'Resurrection' is too much, too soon. Markets needed a kick in the balls anyways. If it wasn't an election season, I bet there wouldn't be as much of a hurry.

·
Here for the Gangbang
2,020 Posts
So now CNN has to go into overtime to drag him through the mud a bit more, yeah?

6901 - 6920 of 7454 Posts