LS1GTO.com Forums banner

7401 - 7420 of 7491 Posts

·
Administrator
18,792 Posts
I’m sitting in an office with a guy who had the disease. It ain’t no cold. It ain’t the flu. But he didn’t die. Of course, he’s 49. I’m 56, obese and have high blood pressure. My outcome might be different. So... ???
Exactly. You have more first-hand information than I have... I think. So does VGT, obviously. Therefore, while I think "It's just a shitty cold, bitches!" that certainly would not be the foundation for any sort of action/management of the problem. There's enough data to support the notion that it's more than a cold, but not nearly enough (IMO) to shut down the Global economy and induce public panic. And while I think our reaction to this thing has been way overblown, I am also willing to concede that perhaps that action reduced the numbers so drastically that it simply seems like an over-reaction in hindsight. What I do know is that by hook or by crook, the beast seems to have been tamed at this point, with a number of vaccines seemingly rushing to trial. Let's cut the shit, and figure out how to get back at it.

I'll say this, like Doric, I don't think it has infected anyone in my circle of peeps. Buuuut... there is data floating around that points to the virus having landed States-side in November or December, much earlier than the ZOMG. The off-chute questions abound, but more to my specific point, Mini-Me* and I got whacked with a super-shitty cold in late-February. His symptoms were textbook COVID-19 symptoms; mine were fairly muted, aside from the loss of taste and smell. Did we have it? Who knows, I ain't got no tests bro', but I am also 49 (next week), way-teh-smurf overweight, and I'm a former smoker. :unsure: I'm not deluded enough to think that counts as first-hand knowledge, but it seems to mirror what a vast majority of cases point toward: a really bad cold.

*LOL... At 6'2" and about 165-lbs. now, he ain't mini anymore.

Could I be wrong? Yep. I'm wrong all the damned time, which is exactly why I think these sorts of discussions are useful. If an absolute, correct answer exists, then there isn't shit to learn; STFU and memorize.

·
Here for the Gangbang
2,066 Posts
If you squint, you might start to think that in 2020, under Trump, the Democratic Party's 'progressive' agenda has been pushed farther than Obama could ever have thought possible.

·
Jimmy Rustler
9,774 Posts
I may be wrong here, but Trump didn't push any D party agenda here. He showed an almost total and complete lack of leadership during all of this. The state governors are the ones who had to make all the decisions - and BTW, roughly half of them aren't Dems last time I checked. Although for the life of me I can't figure out why voluntarily masking up and keeping things cleaner is a progressive initiative.

Trump has continued to push conspiracy theories and applaud misinformed dolts.

·
Here for the Gangbang
2,066 Posts
You, sir, are absolutely on-brand.

Although for the life of me I can't figure out why voluntarily masking up and keeping things cleaner is a progressive initiative.
"Voluntarily." Either that word doesn't mean what you think it means, or you haven't been paying attention.

·
Jimmy Rustler
9,774 Posts
Exactly. You have more first-hand information than I have... I think. So does VGT, obviously. Therefore, while I think "It's just a shitty cold, bitches!" that certainly would not be the foundation for any sort of action/management of the problem. There's enough data to support the notion that it's more than a cold, but not nearly enough (IMO) to shut down the Global economy and induce public panic. And while I think our reaction to this thing has been way overblown, I am also willing to concede that perhaps that action reduced the numbers so drastically that it simply seems like an over-reaction in hindsight. What I do know is that by hook or by crook, the beast seems to have been tamed at this point, with a number of vaccines seemingly rushing to trial. Let's cut the shit, and figure out how to get back at it.

blah blah blah :SNIP: ;)
I have an elder cow-orker that got very sick in February. He said it hit him like a ton of bricks, his lungs filled up, etc. His son is the guy who actually had it. Right up until Jr got it (6 weeks later - he didn't get it from his dad), we suspected his dad of having had it. We don't any longer. Jr's experience was much different than dad's and dad has heart health complications. Dad with CoVID would probably have been hospitalized, but like you said, who knows? He was out for a week and had some residual weakness, but he was back to his old self a few days later.

Yes, it seems to have been around longer than they originally said, but they also said they didn't think it could be community spread back then. No one was looking for a mystery disease in November and December, and probably not in early January. But when you look at how fast this spread around the world, the conclusion I make is this is a very contagious disease. So my guess is if you had it you would know because your entire circle would have been infected, and you might have known someone who died from it.

All that said... I may be naive here. I'm not a medical professional. I run a factory that makes tourist merchandise. There is Covid here and I'd rather not catch it. I'm taking precautions. I'm wearing a mask, because I understand my duties and responsibilities to be a part of a free society. I don't wear a mask to keep me from catching it, I wear a mask because it is possible I may be infected at any time and be spreading it without showing symptoms. 91,000 Americans have already died - and yes a lot of them were elderly and not healthy. But this isn't just another cold.

YMMV

·
Jimmy Rustler
9,774 Posts
You, sir, are absolutely on-brand.

"Voluntarily." Either that word doesn't mean what you think it means, or you haven't been paying attention.
No, I was purposely being flippant in the attempt to counter the attitude of the article you posted. That said, I don't think I have heard of anyone being jailed for not wearing a mask, for not closing their business, etc. I think my bosses would have remained open no matter what the governor said. But we had been talking about the issue for weeks before it hit and we all agreed that it was something we should do for the good of all.

·
BOOMER SOONER!!!
395 Posts
Iowa Park?? Shit! I live in Wichita Falls.
Grew out outside of Lake Arrowhead and went to School School K-12 in Henrietta (Tx).

Lots of my wife's family is from Iowa Park.
Love hanging out in Wichita Falls, nice bar scene. We usually take an overnighter there a couple of times a year just to party. The wife and I live in the OKC metro area, got a lot of friends and family in SW Oklahoma so we like to meet up in Medicine Park and roll down I-44 to WF. Typically we've already been there by this time of year.

·
Jimmy Rustler
9,774 Posts
I don’t have to acknowledge evidence that doesn’t support my argument. You know, like the conservatives in here.

·
Here for the Gangbang
2,066 Posts
I wish that this was not where we are as a society today.

#orangemanbad

Trump's policy decisions over his term have been almost flawless - especially compared to the non-stop circus that was Obama's presidency and Bush's before him. None of the wild-ass accusations against him have stuck - even when the other side got to pick the team. And as utterly deplorable as he is, the competition has decided to line up behind a close-enough-to-octogenarian who can't open his mouth without putting his foot in it and has demonstrably shown to have predatory sexual predilections. That is the best they have.

Trump is CLEARLY an asshole. He is CLEARLY a terrible husband - possibly abusive, definitely unfaithful, almost certainly unloving. We - even the far-Left - laugh about Bill Clinton having at least two-thirds of that same condition. One thing that David Pakman points out in the interview with Joe Rogan is that Trump was pro-choice until he was almost in his 70s. This is not unexpected because until sometime in the '00s, Trump was a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat.

The greatest crime this doofus ever committed was running against the Democratic Party.

I really fucking hate it every single time I have to go so far as to defend the man. I wouldn't want to be in his presence any more than anyone else, but Chrissakes, y'all. The Left has abandoned all sense of reality in the pursuit of deposing the Cheeto-in-Chief and it's disgusting.

7401 - 7420 of 7491 Posts