LS1GTO.com Forums banner

7441 - 7460 of 7725 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Off-chute discussion: Similar to how I found Olbermann entertaining yet utterly disagreeable, I am in a similar place with John Oliver. There was a recent Last Week Tonight that dealt with privatizing the USPS. It was... eye-opening. It's worth a google-fu. In short, legislation from the W-era burdened their costs into the foreseeable future, but their revenues were capped. It isn't too difficult to see how Bezos would absolutely take advantage of the USPS, and treat it like a personal cost-saving mechanism at taxpayers' expense. Process that idea however you choose.

And Biden is... better than Hillary, but that's like saying H1N1 is better than COVID-19.
I don’t disagree, but I won’t blame a business of taking advantage of something that Congress screwed up.

·
Jimmy Rustler
9,816 Posts
Yup. Change the game. Don’t blame the player for playing it. Unless the player is also dishonest.

·
Fake bacon lover
11,254 Posts
Shit was pretty good pre-COVID. I'm not on board with the conspiracy theories that this is to ensure he isn't re-elected, but things were looking pretty rosy about 3.5 months ago...
Curious, how do you guys react to those people adamantly promoting the Covid conspiracy theory to take down Trump?

I will entertain man made / accidental release from secret lab in China. (I don't think this is the case, but its possible) However, I won't have a serious conversation with anyone that thinks Bill Gates is responsible because he gave a TED talk about pandemics. Every Fiction writer worth their salt has probably wrote a pandemic based novel..

·
DW can't take a J... or a D
2,312 Posts
Curious, how do you guys react to those those adamantly promoting the Covid conspiracy theory to take down Trump?

I will entertain man made / accidental release from secret lab in China. (I don't think this is the case, but its possible) However, I won't have a serious conversation with anyone that thinks Bill Gates is responsible because he gave a TED talk about pandemics. Every Fiction writer worth their salt has probably wrote a pandemic based novel..
I take it the same way I take most conspiracy theories, which it that it requires the simultaneous belief that the the government is widely incompetent, yet also competent enough to plan, organize, and execute a conspiracy. In this case, it would also require coordination with basically every other government on the planet.

Not buying that, not even for a dollar.

·
Jimmy Rustler
9,816 Posts
Curious, how do you guys react to those those adamantly promoting the Covid conspiracy theory to take down Trump?

Here's my (obviously biased, on brand ::ROLLEYES:: ) take. Any drop in any indicator is a bad thing for the guy in charge, pandemic or no pandemic. And since you can't trust the general public to think past their first knee jerk reaction the effort to downplay the threat at the beginning was understandable. Avoid panic, not acting on false information, etc is a good thing. Now the entire world has shut down, economy in collapse, unemployment off the charts. In normal times this is a disaster, but these aren't normal times. You'd have to be beyond stupid to think this is Trumps fault.

But Trump keeps talking like this is no big deal, refusing to wear masks, pushing quack remedies, etc.. IMHO, the voters in this country would have understood the drop in employment come November had they believed Trump was doing the right thing. BTW, there was about a week in here somewhere where Trump acted like the President, taking charge and staying on point. It was mentioned in this thread IIRC (I'm not going back 100 pages to look), but it didn't last. Since then, it's the derp train.

Interestingly enough a huge block of 2016 Trump voters aren't polling his way right now - you know, the elderly he wants to put at risk by knee-jerking a reopening. Holy shit, he threatens to pull the Republican convention out of NC if they can't tell him this week that they will allow full capacity in 3 months.

Did you need a history lesson on this? No. But here we are with a large portion of the electorate thinking this a biblical end of the world event, and others denying anything is happening. Jeebus, wearing a mask has become a political issue! Who is right? Well, medical professionals aren't poopooing it, so...

Trump is on the wrong side of this and in order for him to be right, this must have been a conspiracy.

·
Administrator
18,848 Posts
I don’t disagree, but I won’t blame a business of taking advantage of something that Congress screwed up.
Werd, homie.

Yup. Change the game. Don’t blame the player for playing it. Unless the player is also dishonest.
Yep.

Curious, how do you guys react to those people adamantly promoting the Covid conspiracy theory to take down Trump?

Meh...

If you don't seize this opportunity to bash/replace/take down your rival, well you're not even trying.

"Easy target"

·
Administrator
18,848 Posts
But then, ol' Cheeto-neck goes full fucking retard, and threatens to shut down social media. facepalm

Someone, for the love of all that is not Joe Fucking Biden, take this dude's fucking twitter device. Shitsakes.

Trumpo Teh Clow said:
Republicans feel that Social Media Platforms totally silence conservatives voices. We will strongly regulate, or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen.
Do you even have conservative friends, bro?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
His delivery is off, but we do need to figure out how to effectively, and fairly, regulate tech and social media companies. Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Reddit all use pretty biased algorithms and moderation to shape their brand. Our current laws are not equipped to handle most of the internet, let alone social media. I'm not sure what appropriate regulations look like, but I know the current system of letting the tech inmates run the social media asylum isn't working, at all.

If it's wrong for the ISPs to prioritize 1s and 0s, then it's wrong for social media companies to do the same - and they were the conductors of the Net Neutrality train a year ago.

·
Hell pecker yeah
7,410 Posts
That quickly becomes a slippery slope. First Amendment, free speech, free press, yada yada yada. The best way to control them is as a population - STOP letting them make money off of us. Quit making stupid people "famous." Once their dollars dry up they'll have to figure out another way.

·
Here for the Gangbang
2,124 Posts
These organizations (Twitter, et al) have BRILLIANTLY built their empires on making the masses the product, not the consumer.

·
Administrator
18,848 Posts
His delivery is off, but we do need to figure out how to effectively, and fairly, regulate tech and social media companies. Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Reddit all use pretty biased algorithms and moderation to shape their brand. Our current laws are not equipped to handle most of the internet, let alone social media. I'm not sure what appropriate regulations look like, but I know the current system of letting the tech inmates run the social media asylum isn't working, at all.

If it's wrong for the ISPs to prioritize 1s and 0s, then it's wrong for social media companies to do the same - and they were the conductors of the Net Neutrality train a year ago.
I smell what you're stepping in, but the next legislative "solution" to a problem will be a first. He agreed to the terms and limitations of use, as did the other millions of users, so he can kindly STFU and abide by them. "Liking" said terms and limitations of use is an entirely different topic, and you or I choosing to not use those platforms is akin to voting with our wallets.

·
Here for the Gangbang
2,124 Posts
Yeah... As much as I can buy into the idea that Twitter, Facebook, et al apply their own biases to the way in which they police their platforms and it sure seems to be more congruent with the Left than the Right, it is ultimately their call. Privately-owned service, Donnie. Don't like how they do things? Don't use the product. Back another. That will do FAR more damage than continuing to fill the platform with orange-tinted fingertip diarrhea.

·
Administrator
20,338 Posts
Dems are just using this to
Yeah... As much as I can buy into the idea that Twitter, Facebook, et al apply their own biases to the way in which they police their platforms and it sure seems to be more congruent with the Left than the Right, it is ultimately their call. Privately-owned service, Donnie. Don't like how they do things? Don't use the product. Back another. That will do FAR more damage than continuing to fill the platform with orange-tinted fingertip diarrhea.
The thing to understand about Trump is much of what he does is merely posturing for effect. He doesn't give a fuck if social media disses him and probably doesn't even want to shut them down - but he has to react a certain way for his fan club. "Hes showing them facebook jackasses who's boss" - chugs a beer

Just like with NATO, everyone gave him shit for saying NATO was useless and we might as well pull out and fuck those euro-commies anyways. Did he mean it? Maybe, but his fans ate that shit up and those bums paid up their NATO union dues, didn't they?

Trumps whole stick is focused on results. He will fling feces at anyone and anything if it gets him the desired results. Its why he is so un-presidential. Obama was a far more dignified, Presidential guy, but his policies were dog shit. People remember how cool he was, but what did he actually do, besides questionable Obama-care?

Its also why I've learned to look at the lasting results and just ignore the shit Trump slings. As time goes on, the shit washes off but the policy changes remain, ala NATO and China trade and whatever. From a purely results/policy perspective Trump aint bad. From a visibility/PR perspective, he is the worst President we have ever had up to this point. I can seperate the two because I can think long-term and give a shit about the future of our country. Unfortunately, most of the left would rather see our country burn than give Trump credit for any-fucking-thing.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I smell what you're stepping in, but the next legislative "solution" to a problem will be a first. He agreed to the terms and limitations of use, as did the other millions of users, so he can kindly STFU and abide by them. "Liking" said terms and limitations of use is an entirely different topic, and you or I choosing to not use those platforms is akin to voting with our wallets.
I’d love to believe that voting with our wallets would be enough, but it’s not as there are no real alternatives. The differences between Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Instagram, Snapchat, et al. are little more than user interface tweaks.

Reddit: San Francisco, CA
Facebook: Menlo Park (San Francisco), CA
Instagram: Owned by Facebook
Twitter: San Francisco, CA
Alphabet: Mountain View (San Francisco), CA
Snapchat: Santa Monica (LA), CA

At this point, social media has become analogous to a public utility - one that is constantly abused by its owners, users, and foreign actors to the detriment of people who don’t use their services. I’d argue that the effect these companies have on our daily lives is so pervasive that it approaches, and in some cases, exceeds a governmental level. The problem is that there is no constitution restricting the actions of our social media overlords.

·
Administrator
18,848 Posts
Dems are just using this to

The thing to understand about Trump is much of what he does is merely posturing for effect. He doesn't give a fuck if social media disses him and probably doesn't even want to shut them down - but he has to react a certain way for his fan club. "Hes showing them facebook jackasses who's boss" - chugs a beer

Just like with NATO, everyone gave him shit for saying NATO was useless and we might as well pull out and fuck those euro-commies anyways. Did he mean it? Maybe, but his fans ate that shit up and those bums paid up their NATO union dues, didn't they?

Trumps whole stick is focused on results. He will fling feces at anyone and anything if it gets him the desired results. Its why he is so un-presidential. Obama was a far more dignified, Presidential guy, but his policies were dog shit. People remember how cool he was, but what did he actually do, besides questionable Obama-care?

Its also why I've learned to look at the lasting results and just ignore the shit Trump slings. As time goes on, the shit washes off but the policy changes remain, ala NATO and China trade and whatever. From a purely results/policy perspective Trump aint bad. From a visibility/PR perspective, he is the worst President we have ever had up to this point. I can seperate the two because I can think long-term and give a shit about the future of our country. Unfortunately, most of the left would rather see our country burn than give Trump credit for any-fucking-thing.
I need that Gallagher-Smashing-The-like-Button.gif from a few weeks ago...

·
Here for the Gangbang
2,124 Posts
Fkn executive orders.

I think we all just assumed Obama took his famous pen and phone with him, right?

7441 - 7460 of 7725 Posts