LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have not been on the board for a long time as I have had a couple of kids and my 04 has been sitting in the garage gathering dust. I am trying to get it back on the road but I cannot get it to pass emissions. The car has kooks headers and cats and I think that is where the problem is. Is there anyone in the Denver Metro area who could help tune the car to get it to pass emissions please let me know.

Thanks!

·
Chimp Daddy LLC
1,905 Posts
If you are using the "High Flow" kooks cats then that is probably your issue. I have an 05 GTO with Kooks headers and catted mids and it would fail the sniffer test as well. You can have a local tuner fiddle with the tune or even switch to an E85 tune and it "Might" clean it up enough to pass the sniffer test. But the real fix is to get a set of mids built up using stock cats. That is what I did for mine and it passes the sniffer test with flying colors without needing to dick around with the tune. I would let you borrow my stock cat mids but they won't fit on your 04 style exhaust.

·
1 of 40,757
6,226 Posts
I'd find a shop that will fab up some cheap mids using after market (cheap) magnaflow cats.
I did this with my last car that had high flow cats (failed) and it passed no problem with standard aftermarket cats.

·
5800ft Sucks Wind - Literally
709 Posts
go on ebay and buy some cheap 3" cats and replace the ones you got. it will pass... have had to do this many times with mine since it is my daily driver with headers... no need for a new tune, just the new cats...

·
Registered
133 Posts
But the real fix is to get a set of mids built up using stock cats. That is what I did for mine and it passes the sniffer test with flying colors without needing to dick around with the tune. I would let you borrow my stock cat mids but they won't fit on your 04 style exhaust.
I testify that CHA-LEE's trick works! (Thanks again for letting me borrow them.) ;)

-Aphobos

1 - 8 of 8 Posts