LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The closest place for me to get a professional tune is CAM. I've heard great things about Jeff Creech but I'm wondering if a tune would be worth it at this point. Mods are in sig and the only thing I might do in the future is perhaps a cam, intake, and pulley.

The car has had a habit of stuttering lately in its throttle response. I'll ease into the gas and it will accelerate but there will be a slight shudder in the middle of it. This is especially prevalent in 4-6 gears. Could this be due to going so long without a tune with the headers?

I guess my question is is a tune really worth it at this point and will I see a big enough difference in performance and feel to justify the drive and price?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
just for your headers? eh. no.

it's better just to take that money and get a used predator (with some $ remaining)

AFTER the cam, intake, etc...yeah, go get a real tune.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Seeing that you have headers & CAI, I would say that you could benefit greatly from a tune. Contrary to what many people believe the pcm cannot learn and adjust to the cai's. All I had on my GTO when I had it tuned was the NewEra V2 cai and it put down 330/[email protected], but the af ratio look awful, most likely from the cai. After tuning it made 356/364! And yes I put plenty of miles on it before I had it dyno'd, probably drove around for about 100 miles and then 160 miles or so to TSP's shop. Check and see if you get them to do your base tune if they will do updated tunes later on for free or just pay for dyno time, some shops do that.

·
Exhausted Tuner
1,254 Posts
A good tune with a good tuner is worth the drive.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Well if they are willing to do the initial tune and do updated dyno tunes for free or for minimum dyno time then I would just say go for it!

·
Ka-Boom!
1,987 Posts
I definately benifitted from a tune after headers. I paid more for my tune and drove 1.5 hours. I would have drove longer if needed be, no regrets here.

·
Incognito
1,433 Posts
Nemisis said:
Seeing that you have headers & CAI, I would say that you could benefit greatly from a tune. Contrary to what many people believe the pcm cannot learn and adjust to the cai's. All I had on my GTO when I had it tuned was the NewEra V2 cai and it put down 330/[email protected], but the af ratio look awful, most likely from the cai. After tuning it made 356/364! And yes I put plenty of miles on it before I had it dyno'd, probably drove around for about 100 miles and then 160 miles or so to TSP's shop. Check and see if you get them to do your base tune if they will do updated tunes later on for free or just pay for dyno time, some shops do that.

Yeah, it's been said time and time again. You can't mod these cars w/o tuning. The PCM just does not adapt, and it many cases (CIAs) you actually will hurt your performance by just bolting it on (richens up your A/F). You're leaving a lot of HP on the table with your current mods and no tune.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I drove about 250 miles to get to Jeff, it is worth it, you will feel like you got a new car on the ride home. should you add more mods in the future he will re-tune at a reduced price.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gr8fully said:
I drove about 250 miles to get to Jeff, it is worth it, you will feel like you got a new car on the ride home. should you add more mods in the future he will re-tune at a reduced price.
I saw on his website that a tune to add other mods such as a cam is free of charge and the only thing you will pay for is dyno time. Is this not the case?

·
Registered
995 Posts
IROSSGTO said:
I saw on his website that a tune to add other mods such as a cam is free of charge and the only thing you will pay for is dyno time. Is this not the case?
Thats what I was saying in a earlier thread, I think a lot of tuners do that once they've done a base tune. Not 100% certain though!

·
Exhausted Tuner
1,254 Posts
Most reputable tuners provide repeat customers with discounted services.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Make sure you are getting more than some POS WOT-only dyno tune. I don't care who it is doing the tuning... WOT-only dyno is not equivalent to a full tune.

Tim

·
WUT?!?!?!?!?!
6,524 Posts
I drove 3+ hours to have EPP tune my car and yes it was worth it...

·
smurfin' fly-by...
1,482 Posts
[email protected] is worth it, I'm set up for the 26th and that is a 3hr drive for me. Going with the Mini-tune ($300) for now. Add cams/headers and go back and bay the difference ($100+$50) - nothing more. I think it is worth it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ls6gto said:
[email protected] is worth it, I'm set up for the 26th and that is a 3hr drive for me. Going with the Mini-tune ($300) for now. Add cams/headers and go back and bay the difference ($100+$50) - nothing more. I think it is worth it.
Thanks for the advice-I've got an appointment set up for Monday so I will be sure to let you all know how it goes!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts