LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've finally got everything in and it's working great. I'll post some pictures here in a day or so. What ended up with is a Premier 880PRS headunit, Clif Designs components, JBL subs, and a Directed amp.

How do you go about tuning properly? The headunit has lots of power and EQ settings and adjustments, and the amp has your typical gain and frequency response adjustments. How do you properly tune all of that? Thanks in advance again!

·
Part of the Raider Nation
261 Posts
EQ - Set that at flat for now. Your componets and subs, if brand new need about 10 hours playing time to be properly broke in. EQing now will be a waste of time. After your speakers are broke in EQ by ear, or if you want go to a shop with an RTA.

Amp - If you have a crossover on this, high pass the componets at 80HZ. Low pass the sub at 80HZ. Set your gains by ear unless you have a scope and know how to use it. To set by ear, let's say your head unit volume goes from 0-100, set your head unit at 80, 80% volume, with the gains all the way down. Slowly turn up the gain until the speakers distort. Once they distort turn it back down a touch and you are good to go.

If you have filters and slopes on your amp let me know and I can go over those.

Warning - If you do have filters and slopes never mess with them when the amp is on.

What other kind of processing does that Pioneer have that you want to know about?

·
Registered
871 Posts
80 Hz might be too low for those components when used with a sub, you should look at the response curves for the speakers and compare it to the sub's - find a point where they seem to 'cross' and set it there

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The deck has auto EQ and time alignment, dual (L/R) 16 channel EQ, front and rear high and low slopes and filters, subwoofer high and low pass slopes and filters. I think I'm going to try setting the amp gain and frequency response first and then try the Auto EQ and see how that works.

·
Banned
100 Posts
FormerStangFan said:
Alright, I've finally got everything in and it's working great. I'll post some pictures here in a day or so. What ended up with is a Premier 880PRS headunit, Clif Designs components, JBL subs, and a Directed amp.

How do you go about tuning properly? The headunit has lots of power and EQ settings and adjustments, and the amp has your typical gain and frequency response adjustments. How do you properly tune all of that? Thanks in advance again!
I am a former IASCA judge. PM me your email address and I will give you specific instructions on how to tune your car.

Bryan

·
Registered
871 Posts
With all of those settings on the deck...

Do you have the sub pre-outs going to the sub amp and the front pre-outs going to the components?

You may want to skip the crossovers on the amps and use the deck's features.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, after fiddling with it a little I think that works best. Now that I have the gains adjusted I've just opened up the frequencies on the amp and control them all on the amp. This is a really sweet deck.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Another thing, probably should have said it sooner but don't max out the speakers for the first 10 hours or so either

1 - 9 of 9 Posts