LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Put a turbo kit on my Monaro about 2 years ago and am not quite that happy about it's performance, mainly response/spool. The turbo appears to be a Garrett T51 which I guess is a bit outdated. It starts spooling around 3000rpm and is at full boost around 4000rpm, I feel like I could be getting better performance with a newer turbo.

Looking around youtube, the newer GTX range and possibly the Precision turbo's are the go but being in Australia the Garretts are more easily accessable. Closest match to the T51 is either the GTX4088r. Car is mostly used for the street so I don't really need anything larger.

Thoughts? Still very new to the turbo game.

·
Registered
410 Posts
A lot will depend on budget, and even a 4088 is still an old unit. And also what fitment....if you think yours is a Garrett, is it a T3, T4 flange ? what about the discharge ? etc ?

Are you looking for something that will hopefully bolt in with no modifications, or are you happy to do some fabrication work if necessary to adjust pipework ?

And what is current engine size, power, power goals ?

Some Garrett stuff is good, but some also very expensive. There are lots of great Precision units too, but also Borg Warner, Holset and who knows what else between....again depending what you want to spend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts