LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made an impulse buy on Wednesday and purchased a TVS2300. Should be here in less than 2 weeks so the fun can begin.

I'm going to do the install, then CSP in PA will send me a rough base tune to get me up and running (I don't feel comfortable messing around with HP Tuners on a boosted car) so I can make it to their shop for a dyno tune.

Few questions for anyone who may be able to answer:
1) Any rough idea what a stock manual LS1 with Kooks headers and catless mids should put down with the OE pulley that comes on a TVS2300? Mid 400's?
2) I really want to be able to reuse my Svede intake instead of having to put the stock air box back in. May need to try and figure out how to do a custom coupler (if even possible) since the TB is going to sit a bit higher.
3) I know there isn't a concrete answer, but stock internals, roughyl how much boost can I run and keep the motor safe? I've thought about buying a different pulley, but may just want to stick with the OE pulley right now. I may install a blower cam in the future, but not before I upgrade the clutch (79k miles and still original) and possibly the rear end.

This is a summer fun toy only, so will never see the track.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a few more mods. Heads(5.3l stage3, not ideal for boost), Cam, Longtubes, cat delete and pulley. I put down around 530/520 with a very conservative tune. Best thing is the torque is around 450 right from the rip. 500 @2500rpm......Feels nuts. Think I am running 11lbs of boost on stock bottom. No issues

·
Registered
148 Posts
I forgot that I do have a meth injection kit installed as well. I also have around 5k or so on the clock..she's a true garage queen.

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just scored a custom made coupler from Mooch that he no longer needs so that I can run my Svede. Now I just need to come up with a custom mount for the heat exchanger since the "stock" location won't allow for an OTR.

Can't wait for the kit to arrive so I can start wrenching.

Reactions: whippersnapper02

·
Super Moderator
12,154 Posts
I have been wanting to buy a TVS for my C5 for over year now. I just have a hard time swallowing the expense of blower kit that cost's half of what the car with is worth.

I don't know what boost level it would take to make it to 550 wheel but you should be able to run at that level without hurting the stock bottom end of an LS1. That being said if you are on a stock cam and 241 heads I think high 400s is a more realistic goal.

Can't wait to see this build! Hope you post lots of pictures. Everybody loves pictures. :)

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I work for Eaton, and the only reason I decided to jump on a TVS now is due to the discount I recently uncovered that we receive.

I do plan to take a bunch of pictures as I begin to do the install, so if anyone is interested, I can surely post them and the ultimate results.

Yeah, stock cam, stock 241 heads, Svede intake, Kooks 1 7/8” headers, catless mids, and a 2.5” Spintech catback.

You think out of the box (stock TVS pulley) I could be in the high 400’s at the wheels?

·
Super Moderator
12,154 Posts
I think it's possible. I might be a little bit high. Eatons website says for ls1 gto stock it should add 120 wheel and 120 foot pounds. I am guessing that is a bit conservative. You have quality exhaust and the svede is a freak of nature that will provide no resistance to the TVS. I'm excited to see how you do.

·
Administrator
20,338 Posts
Too many variables to calculate (like boost levels, etc), but a decent(not oversized) cam designed for a roots style blower will make a HUGE difference.

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably won’t ever put a different cam in the car. This will be plenty of power for what I use it for, and if I get too crazy with it, it‘ll make me need to tear back into my 05 so it doesn’t feel “slow”.

Next up will probably be replacing the OEM clutch with 79k miles on it, and the rest of the driveline to handle the extra power.

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Next up is trying to figure out where to mount my catch can. Mocked up a bracket here which I think will work as long as I can get the heat exchanger mounted low enough to allow my Svede to be used.

Reactions: Mr. Black

·
Registered
312 Posts
I work for Eaton, and the only reason I decided to jump on a TVS now is due to the discount I recently uncovered that we receive.

I do plan to take a bunch of pictures as I begin to do the install, so if anyone is interested, I can surely post them and the ultimate results.

Yeah, stock cam, stock 241 heads, Svede intake, Kooks 1 7/8” headers, catless mids, and a 2.5” Spintech catback.

You think out of the box (stock TVS pulley) I could be in the high 400’s at the wheels?
bet that is a cool job. ive applied a couple times for a position with procharger, no luck though.

definitely post up pictures

I have been wanting to buy a TVS for my C5 for over year now. I just have a hard time swallowing the expense of blower kit that cost's half of what the car with is worth.

I don't know what boost level it would take to make it to 550 wheel but you should be able to run at that level without hurting the stock bottom end of an LS1. That being said if you are on a stock cam and 241 heads I think high 400s is a more realistic goal.

Can't wait to see this build! Hope you post lots of pictures. Everybody loves pictures. :)
itd cost as much as my gto did...lol

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've thought about either a root or centri for my 04, not a fan of turbo since I enjoy my LT's and Corsa Sport. Althought a remote mount could still technically keep them, but too much tube-age for me. Knocking on 180k miles on mine, and I will replace the motor at the same time along with a FI modification. Right now working on the much needed suspension, and overall handling/efficiency of the GTO first.
I've probably put close to 140k miles on my GTO in the 10 years I have owned it. It used to be my DD so I barely installed any performance mods to it other than exhaust and a different CAI. I put a mild cam in mine a couple years ago, and since my GTO is no longer my daily anymore, I feel ok doing pretty much whatever given the time and money. I don't ever plan on getting rid of it since it would not provide a big enough payout and I just enjoy the fact that GTO's are rarely seen on the road. At least where I live. So it's a project to make it my own. Looking forward to seeing how your TVS addition goes!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I needed a different hood for the TB to clear.
Best guess I made 675ish to the wheels through an A4 with a 4500 stalled converter. It was all or nothing the converter would flash and all hell would break loose, the wheel would spin on the dyno. So getting an accurate reading was tough.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Subscribed. How would the TVS2300 compare to the LSA kit on a stock heads / bottom end LS1? Is there any difference in A4 vs M6 numbers? I'd like to go with a small cam / blower setup in mine if the budget permits one of these days. Mine is an A4 with 130,000 miles.

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Giggity:

2 questions:
1) One thing I just realized is that these kits (at least for the LS1) doesn’t come with a magnavolt. Is that, or an upgraded fuel pump, not needed for a stock LS1 motor with headers? I know full well that should I raise the boost or build the motor that I’m eventually going to need to upgrade the pump. Just want to know if this something I need to do right now before I install everything. I really have no desire in the foreseeable future to tear into the motor or up the boost.

2) Instructions talk about draining the radiator. I’d assume I just need to drain a bit to clear out the steam crossover tube that needs to be replaced, correct? I can’t see the need to drain the whole system.

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also like the fact that good old S.C. wrote the write-up.

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Car has led a babied life, and most of the miles are highway cruising in 6th gear.

Reactions: LS2-GTO

·
GR-RRR!
5,500 Posts
Still, mine wasn't abused (at least by me) and it was done in the 30s, you know floppy pedal, slipping clutch and all. I know the previous owner babied it but I don't know about the first owner who was responsible for the first 20k miles or so, but the car certainly didn't have any signs of abuse or rough or careless use. The clutch itself didn't actually look that bad, but it was certainly done for.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts