LS1GTO.com Forums banner

141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
On an ls1? That would have to be a ridiculous cam.
A good set of heads is the key, but it's entirely doable with a moderate sized cam, FAST manifold, an OTR intake, thru a manual transmission.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I debated the heads/cam route for awhile, but at 3500-400ft altitude it seemed too hard to get a good 450whp

·
Registered
161 Posts
Would you guys do a DW65c or go straight for a DW300?

P.S - Sorry for hijack, not a lot of action on these forums and this post was coincidentally perfect

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
On an ls1? That would have to be a ridiculous cam.
My buddy sold me his cam. 222/233, ported truck heads, fast intake, headers, 4000 stall...stock bottom end ls1.....made 455 to the rear wheels. My car doesnt even lope with this cam in my 5.3......just sayin.

·
Freedom Fighter
767 Posts
My buddy sold me his cam. 222/233, ported truck heads, fast intake, headers, 4000 stall...stock bottom end ls1.....made 455 to the rear wheels. My car doesnt even lope with this cam in my 5.3......just sayin.
good to know. much more detail provided. I might do heads and cam at some point in the future. i have an xair and jba shorties and mids with magnaflow street CB. so its 2.5" from start to end. I think it will be able to handle the setup you mentioned. Not much more.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Big turn off for heads/cam for me was that your kinda at the max effort N/A setup to get to entry FI. And I thought about it for a long time as I like(d) to autoX the gto and the blower really isnt great for it.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
good to know. much more detail provided. I might do heads and cam at some point in the future. i have an xair and jba shorties and mids with magnaflow street CB. so its 2.5" from start to end. I think it will be able to handle the setup you mentioned. Not much more.
its a summit ghost cam. part number SUM-8715 Stage 1 Pro LS Ghost Cam 222/233 115+3, .600/.575 Lift
the driveability is close to stock. idles at 650rpm, pulls to 6800 in my 5.3 and pulled to 7000 in my 5.7....maybe the 1.5 point less compression in the 5.3 has something to do with that.

·
Worthless reject member
40,150 Posts
Big turn off for heads/cam for me was that your kinda at the max effort N/A setup to get to entry FI. And I thought about it for a long time as I like(d) to autoX the gto and the blower really isn't great for it.
lol, no you're not. i mean, you are for the cash most people are willing to spend on it, but most of these head/cam setups we see on forums are weaksauce.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm not hating on heads/cam NA build or anything, just between access to parts in Canada (re: none), and the fact that most my driving is 3000-5000 altitude - I just figured id go with PD blower. Although when I bought the car the plan was heads/cam and focus on weight reduction. Oh well.

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Put another 100 miles on the car this weekend. I think what I like most about this thing is how night and day different the car can react. Part throttle driving and it reacts and drives just like it did when I only had headers and a Svede intake on it. If I didn't tell you, you'd never have any idea there was a supercharger on it as even the supercharger sound is non-existent at part throttle.

Roll into the throttle though, and the engine literally roars to life. My favorite part - outside of the gobs of torque - is when you tip into open-loop WOT fueling. The exhaust gets noticeably louder and deeper a split second before the boost kicks in to remind you to hold on. Mash the pedal to the ground and the speed builds deceptively fast. The torque is so linear and smooth, that it makes you believe you're accelerating slower than you actually are.

As much of a headache this install gave me along the way, I'd do it again in a heartbeat, even if I had to cough up MSRP for one. It really is that much fun.

·
Worthless reject member
40,150 Posts
Put another 100 miles on the car this weekend. I think what I like most about this thing is how night and day different the car can react. Part throttle driving and it reacts and drives just like it did when I only had headers and a Svede intake on it. If I didn't tell you, you'd never have any idea there was a supercharger on it as even the supercharger sound is non-existent at part throttle.

Roll into the throttle though, and the engine literally roars to life. My favorite part - outside of the gobs of torque - is when you tip into open-loop WOT fueling. The exhaust gets noticeably louder and deeper a split second before the boost kicks in to remind you to hold on. Mash the pedal to the ground and the speed builds deceptively fast. The torque is so linear and smooth, that it makes you believe you're accelerating slower than you actually are.

As much of a headache this install gave me along the way, I'd do it again in a heartbeat, even if I had to cough up MSRP for one. It really is that much fun.

your making me not want do do n/a with my blue car.

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
141 - 156 of 156 Posts