LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
I think the big "bad news" would be that it's going to be completely illegal in the US. At least until they get it approved. And they only seem to sell parts for Japanese imports in the US so that could be a problem.

·
The Anti Dyno Racer
473 Posts
I have already been discussing the addition of twin turbos to my car. Cartek in NJ already has a 1000+ RWHP Z06 on the street and they are the ones I would go with. They have experience with every power adder and hold several record quarter mile performances here in the US.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
The GTO acctually has some nice room for a twin setup. I dont like how that one used manifolds, small turbos, cats, and that oil pump. It looks like a street kit. Thats another term for the ***** kit.

To do it right you would need a built bottom end, stock CI is fine. Nice flowing heads. Tubular headers and a nice front mount intercooler. Might have to split them up if you want to keep the bumper support. After you get that far you'd want to upgrade the hell out of the fuel system. Lets say we are going balls to the walls. Big low impedance injectors, dual pump setup, upgraded rails and regulator, converting from returnless to one with a fuel return.

Now once we all get that far we need something that will run those injectors. The stock computer and an impedance converter could do it, but the stock computer doesnt know what boost is. It also lacks some of the things we want it to do. So we go aftermarket DFI. Now we run into our real snag of keeping this a "street" car. We want the factory dash, ALDL port, and a/c to work. So we need something thats not developed yet and that is a plug and play adapter for the stock wiring harness/PCM to pigtail a DFI into for a 2004 GTO.

Now, if we accomplished all those things we would have a car capable of 900+ RWHP with the boost in the low twenties.

Neat thing about the DFI is it will adapt the tune to the boost readings which can be changes by the push of a button with an electronic boost controller. Mild to Wild (with needed octane) in seconds.

Alas we now have other problems. Our automatic trans will never hold it so I wont touch that one.... the 6 speed is now slush on the inside with that power. Now we have to payout $4000 or so for a GeForce trans. Also would need a driveshaft a 9" or 12" rear setup with the axle shafts and what not.

Besides the little things this is what you would go thru for to complete the setup the proper way.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
DevilYellow said:
The GTO acctually has some nice room for a twin setup. I dont like how that one used manifolds, small turbos, cats, and that oil pump. It looks like a street kit. Thats another term for the ***** kit.

To do it right you would need a built bottom end, stock CI is fine. Nice flowing heads. Tubular headers and a nice front mount intercooler. Might have to split them up if you want to keep the bumper support. After you get that far you'd want to upgrade the hell out of the fuel system. Lets say we are going balls to the walls. Big low impedance injectors, dual pump setup, upgraded rails and regulator, converting from returnless to one with a fuel return.

Now once we all get that far we need something that will run those injectors. The stock computer and an impedance converter could do it, but the stock computer doesnt know what boost is. It also lacks some of the things we want it to do. So we go aftermarket DFI. Now we run into our real snag of keeping this a "street" car. We want the factory dash, ALDL port, and a/c to work. So we need something thats not developed yet and that is a plug and play adapter for the stock wiring harness/PCM to pigtail a DFI into for a 2004 GTO.

Now, if we accomplished all those things we would have a car capable of 900+ RWHP with the boost in the low twenties.

Neat thing about the DFI is it will adapt the tune to the boost readings which can be changes by the push of a button with an electronic boost controller. Mild to Wild (with needed octane) in seconds.

Alas we now have other problems. Our automatic trans will never hold it so I wont touch that one.... the 6 speed is now slush on the inside with that power. Now we have to payout $4000 or so for a GeForce trans. Also would need a driveshaft a 9" or 12" rear setup with the axle shafts and what not.

Besides the little things this is what you would go thru for to complete the setup the proper way.
There's a company called Wide Open Throttle Motorsports in Phoenix that intends to put a GM TH400 trannie into their 1000HP twin-turbo'd Supra, so let's not go saying that an automatic won't handle the power. And Speed Inc's Maximum Evil 4L65E is rated in excess of 800HP, so that's still pretty dang good.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
DevilYellow said:
A 4L60/5E will not last long no matter how well its built, and a TH400 would kill the "street" car effect. You'd have to go with a 4L80E and have it controlled by the DFI. TH400's can handle it, I just would want the overdrive.
I dunno, I can't see a car with 1000HP being all that streetable. Seems like a waste to me. Give me 600 crank hp and get the car lighter and I'll be way more than happy.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Its a 346CI LS1 with a little cam... it idles like a kitten and behaves better than any stroker/big bore LS1 :) A/C cranks out ice cold and the car doesnt die out, sputter, or surge. When all done correctly.

Thats the streetable side of the car. Now if you happen to have the octane to say...run 20+ psi and happen to go WOT while the boost controller is set for 20 or higher then you just need to wear diapers and be pretty good at navigating :D

EDIT: On a mix of 93 with a little of 110 the car would beable to only run 15-18psi. The HP level at this "street trim" would be 750-850 RWHP. So we arnt talking about 1000HP on the street all the time.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
phobos512 said:
I think the big "bad news" would be that it's going to be completely illegal in the US. At least until they get it approved. And they only seem to sell parts for Japanese imports in the US so that could be a problem.
It'd only be illegal in California no thanks to the CARB certification. The only other areas it could pose a problem is citys that require sniffer testing, and even that isnt such a big deal if you know how to get around it or can tune the car well.

Honestly, that is the best looking kit i've seen yet for the LS1. Only thing i'd worry about is snagging an oil return line on something in the road and having it barf out all the oil :barf: That or get boost happy (again) and crank those bad boys up and break something expensive.

·
Gentlemen, behold!
160 Posts
phobos512 said:
There's a company called Wide Open Throttle Motorsports in Phoenix that intends to put a GM TH400 trannie into their 1000HP twin-turbo'd Supra, so let's not go saying that an automatic won't handle the power. And Speed Inc's Maximum Evil 4L65E is rated in excess of 800HP, so that's still pretty dang good.
"Intends" to? Supra guys have been putting 400s in their cars for years. We had a 1000hp shop Supra with a 400 almost 2 years ago.

-Chris

·
Gentlemen, behold!
160 Posts
DevilYellow said:

You really think a street turbo car can't be fast? Want to line up next to my Camaro? 900hp isn't even usable on the street. I'll take a 550 rwhp car that hooks over a 900 horse car that blows the tires away into fourth any day. My buddy has a 1200 rwhp Supra that will get smoked by my other buddy's 660 rwhp Monte on the street.

-Chris

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Chrisbequick said:
You really think a street turbo car can't be fast? Want to line up next to my Camaro? 900hp isn't even usable on the street. I'll take a 550 rwhp car that hooks over a 900 horse car that blows the tires away into fourth any day. My buddy has a 1200 rwhp Supra that will get smoked by my other buddy's 660 rwhp Monte on the street.

-Chris

-Chris
1200rwhp? Really? Have dyno sheets? If so you should submit them to Super Street magazine because if that's true then their article about the most powerful street Supra was clearly on the wrong car...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Lol. I'm assuming this the Dieman Supra? If so he's right about the HP numbers. And I'm sure he will post of the dyno sheet to prove it as well. ;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just use ball bearing turbos then you dont have to worry about oil lines.

The turbos they were using in those pics look kinda small. They look like T3s with the old 5 bolt style housing, they are probably hybrids though.

I would go with a set of twin ball bearing garretts, probably a set of the GT35Rs would do well.

Also a kit like that should have no problem getting CARB certified if they wanted to. They probably would never do it though. It still is possible to get your car to legally pass smog in CA without CARB certified parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NJTorque said:
I have already been discussing the addition of twin turbos to my car. Cartek in NJ already has a 1000+ RWHP Z06 on the street and they are the ones I would go with. They have experience with every power adder and hold several record quarter mile performances here in the US.
For the kind of money they're asking for there are better alternative like LPE. Theirs are proven system which in the case of the C5 tt have been out for yrs. LPE 427 tt ran a 8.9x which as far as I know is the only tt C5 to do so.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Chrisbequick said:

-Chris
Thats racing. Doesnt mean anything if the power isnt getting to the ground. We arnt talking about track times, we are talking about effceient turbo systems and the proper way to do them. We are not talking about a large cube, large frame turbo setup thats only good on the freeway. I explained a way to make a fun street car thats reliable and dependable as well as fast.

·
Registered
157 Posts
DevilYellow said:
Thats racing. Doesnt mean anything if the power isnt getting to the ground. We arnt talking about track times, we are talking about effceient turbo systems and the proper way to do them. We are not talking about a large cube, large frame turbo setup thats only good on the freeway. I explained a way to make a fun street car thats reliable and dependable as well as fast.
.....and it was an informative read too. Thanks for the post.

·
The Anti Dyno Racer
473 Posts
Boblackhardtop said:
For the kind of money they're asking for there are better alternative like LPE. Theirs are proven system which in the case of the C5 tt have been out for yrs. LPE 427 tt ran a 8.9x which as far as I know is the only tt C5 to do so.
Plan on that bar getting raised soon...the Z06 I mentioned is turned down to only 750 RWHP so the owner can get used to it. The car is already deep in the 10s, and as the owner gets more seat time, 9s should be another week or 2 away. With the boost turned up, there's going to be a challenge to that 8.9x run. Look for a few more turbo cars coming out of Cartek, they also have experience with the turbo Buick world and Julio, one of the owners, used to work for Pat Musi. The LPE cars are a lot more expensive, if you want to hit the numbers Cartek has. I'm not at liberty to discuss their development on the GTO platform, all I can say is keep your eyes open in the upcoming months :)

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
ssilverado60 said:
Just use ball bearing turbos then you dont have to worry about oil lines.
Ball Bearing turbos are just as prone to damage from getting backed up with oil or oil starvation as non ball bearing turbos. In fact, I had a Turbonetics BB T3/T4 on my car at one point and it leaked oil past the seals after a month. I sent it back to be rebuilt twice, both times it repeated the problem shortly after. :barf: This in turn damaged my engine since it was forcing oil in large amounts into the motor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts