LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Drives a tarted up Aristo
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
**I'm going to put up a disclaimer before I get this thread started. Did a lot of searching and found a ton of Typhoon vs. FAST pissing matches in the past. I have no desire for that here so please take your wharrgabl and kindly GTFO if you're just going to come in here and turn this into a shitfest. Thanks.**

Simple question: those of you who got a Typhoon intake manifold, how were you gains and experiences? What kind of power did you make, how was the powerband low and upper end? Any issues with fitment and install, or other 'gotcha's' to be concerned about?

Has anyone installed this intake with a Vararam? Any modifications needed?

Again, this thread is not about which intake is better, so please save your comparisons to other intakes for a thread where someone cares. Thanks.

·
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I wonder if my disclaimer scared too many people away :wall:

Surely we have some owners in here :)

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I have one waiting to go on, I'm.curious as well.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I was wondering about these also.

·
Worthless reject member
39,948 Posts
+1. read about a lot of heatsoak with this intake, but you can't beat the price for it... would like to hear of someone with actual experience with it.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I have 1 on my car,never did a before and after test.If you're going to get one pull the bottom cover off and clean up the casting flash from the runners.I would also recommend using the low profile valley cover bolts.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Did you notice the sotp feel at all ? I went with this because I don't wanna blow a fast apart in case of a n2o backfire

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I put the intake on without a retune and it felt a little bit quicker.

·
Registered
197 Posts
377HP 380 TQ mods in Sig. Street tuned. Graph is in tuning section check it out. Think it was heat soaked since it made more power each run.

·
Moving back to OKC!!!
1,214 Posts
I know of several guys that run them on there firebirds and camaros and love them. But there is the big heat soak debate. But on the other hand since it is aluminum you can port the hell out of it. I know of one that pretty much maxed out on porting and the size difference is crazy between my ports and his. I have not heard of or seen a lot of gto owners with them however.

·
GTSLOW
772 Posts
IMO the heat soak thing is overrated I dunno? Cars have been using alum intakes for decades.

·
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dont have one but my advise is to go over to ls1 tech forums as well.
Upon your advice, I decided to do an exhaustive search of the ls1tech forums. About 90% of topics was the same wharrgabl that I've seen on here: people claiming heat soak issues (which I still say is a boogeyman), elitists thinking that anything not FAST is a POS while looking down on folks who don't buy most expensive stuff possible, and mostly people with no real first hand experience talking out their rectal posteriors. :bomb:

I did however find one VERY informative thread below:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/869941-pro-products-typhoon-intake-manifold.html

Direct back to back results going from a ported LS2 stocker to a Typhoon (no other mods) netted 13rwhp and 14rwtq. I'd say that's not too shabby.

Additionally, looks like some of the older versions had issues with gaskets and fuel rails sealing correctly, but appears to now be fixed with newer versions.

That's pretty much the info I was looking for. Looks like it might be a great bang for the buck item if you don't care about leaving 5hp on the table vs. a FAST.

I'm still a ways out from making purchases, but definitely helpful for planning out future mods.

·
Administrator
20,306 Posts
LS1tech is 90% warblgarbl on any subject. That being said, a metal intake is going to have more heat transfer than plastic, setting aside any other differences.

·
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
LS1tech is 90% warblgarbl on any subject. That being said, a metal intake is going to have more heat transfer than plastic, setting aside any other differences.
Understood, however there's several reasons that I think it's WAY blown out of proportion:

1. Cars have ran metal intakes years, seemingly without issues.
2. Metal intakes won't affect IAT's since the air is past the sensor by the time it hits the intake.
3. Concerns of heat soak have yet to be empirically proven via testing outside of pure theory and speculation.
4 (and most important). I have yet to be convinced that a unit of air is going to even be in the intake chamber long enough to have any effect. Under throttle, a unit of air sits in the intake manifold for, what, a fraction of a second? Is it really going to heat up that fast as it passes through the air intake, through the intake manifold, into the cylinder before being ignited to 500+ degrees in an air/fuel explosion? How long does that process really take? I'm honestly not convinced.

Regardless, that's discussion for another thread (even though I just discussed it here :lol:)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts