LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
seppuku rights activist
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Is the under drive pulley a necessity with a new cam?
2. Does the cost justify the benefits?

FYI, the cam in question is a HPE C-cam, Patriot Gold springs...etc and comp pushrods, NGK TR6 plugs.

·
485, 432 rw m6
536 Posts
Suposed to free up about 8-10 ponies. I have one and don't see any negatives.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I did it although I did it all at once with all my other mods so I cant justify the pulley alone. But I say get an underdrive pulley set for sure, it is all about the combo/supporting mods.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
with the possibility of the AC not working well in stop-n-go traffic in the Texas summer heat...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Well in Texas 100 plus degree heat I noticed mine would struggle a little at long traffic light stops, but if I was on the highway constantly cruising it was fine. But I learned a long time ago in the dead of the summer heat always use re-circulate and it will cut it pretty good.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
yeah, i wouldn't say it won't work, it's just it turns the AC and alternator a little slower and it doesn't owrk as well. that's why they make them the way they do. if you keep the revs up a bit (10-25% or whatever your underdrive is), it will act "normal".

·
HPT Street Tuner
3,629 Posts
is not a necessity, i didn't get it, and my car is making good power without it.

·
seppuku rights activist
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
barkingspud said:
U/D isn't necessary but will get you 8-10 more HP. Why the TR6's? Are you spraying?
I was informed when tuning, you can add a little bit more timing with the TR6s. And spray is a very distinct possibility.

·
Kahuna Bill
726 Posts
Along with a few ponies..it also helps a notoriously slow reving enging rev a bit quicker. Here in the mid west, we get 90*+ along with 90%+ humidity and I had no issues with the A/C. Is it a must?...no. Is it just one of those things thats worth the extra few bucks when doing a cam swap? yes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I live in hot Phoenix Arizona so an UD pulley is out of the question due to the excessive heat, and the frequent stop and go traffic conditions. Personally I think there are better options considering the possible loss of creature comforts.

·
The Psycho 10 sec. Goat
1,968 Posts
A/C problems? Neither my 2004 or 2005 did well cooling the car at idle with the stock pulley and there have been lots of posts about this. It will flat freeze you out cruising down the highway, though.

As for the U/D pulley effecting that, I haven't noticed a difference in the Florida heat this past summer. Also, with a cam tune your idle rpm is often increased, especially with larger cams. Going from 600 to 900 rpm at idle is a 33% increase, which more than offsets the 25% underdrive.

As to your questions
1) No, but it makes a lot of sense to do it while you have the stock pulley off the car.
2) If a $400 CAI is worth it, then a $200 U/D pulley is worth it.

·
seppuku rights activist
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ASP Pulley has been purchased. Continue thread at will! :gr_jest:

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
FraggerCrue said:
A/C problems? Neither my 2004 or 2005 did well cooling the car at idle with the stock pulley and there have been lots of posts about this. It will flat freeze you out cruising down the highway, though.

As for the U/D pulley effecting that, I haven't noticed a difference in the Florida heat this past summer. Also, with a cam tune your idle rpm is often increased, especially with larger cams. Going from 600 to 900 rpm at idle is a 33% increase, which more than offsets the 25% underdrive.

As to your questions
1) No, but it makes a lot of sense to do it while you have the stock pulley off the car.
2) If a $400 CAI is worth it, then a $200 U/D pulley is worth it.
1. idle at 600 rpm??? the stock '04 is 800 rpm
2. a warm air intake worth $400 ??? no, and that's why i don't have one
3. i got the UD pulley :D

·
Look at me.
2,833 Posts
I have an ASP underdrive pulley, and daily drive my 04 in the Texas Heat. I have never noticed any problems with the AC, even sitting in stop and go traffic for 10-15 minutes. Idle is around 800 rpm.

·
Member: Black Sheep Squadron
4,065 Posts
SLP Underdrive, I havent had any problems and it's helped me out alot.

·
Professional Type 1 Diabetic
4,263 Posts
I am not a vigilante. I am just trying to get home to my little girl's birthday party and if everyone will just stay out of my way, nobody will get hurt.

·
ohhhh prettty
63 Posts
Where can I get one? And will you be able to notice a difference in performance/ rev speed? Also how is the insall? Great thread guys, good info

1 - 20 of 28 Posts