LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
^^^^^^^^
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You guys have to see this... - but its 70MB :eek: (but worth it for broadboand users)

the way he throws the car around is awesome....

and plenty of british humour... mostly bashing the aussies :D (bastages)

but all in all a big thumbs up for the car, and awesome sideway action !!!

mirror 1

enjoy ... oh you must have divx installed.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
That is absolutely fabulous!!! Things that I noted...The cup holders...the audio with the traction control on was a hoot (I would like that oprtion)....and the 440 HP version!!!!!

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

·
^^^^^^^^
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah the only strange thing is they were showing the car - HSV GTO, but the times he was describing (6.6sec 0-60) are for the plain monaro.. the GTO(pontiac) will be way faster than that...

see how easy he was throwing it around... i wanna see you do it like that tails ...:p

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Havent seen the vid yet (only dial up) however what I heard from the UKHSV club was that this was done in the wet (track times). Also If I was a brit with the car I think id have more top end and sacrifice inststant acceleration (REM land of the speeding cameras).

·
LS1GTO Traitor
442 Posts
Thanks for posting the video Ude-Lose. The only thing I didn't like was how they timed the car on a wet track and then complained about the time being not that great. DUH!!!:slap:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have heard that Vauxhall decked out a Monaro CV8 to look like an HSV GTO. When it goes on sale in Britain it will look like the Australian verson. Mechanically it is the normal 328hp CV8. That Jeremy Clarkson is a genious. Has anyone seen anything alse of his? If not I'd suggest getting hold of some, download it etc. He does a BBC show called 'Top Gear', and its shown on Cable TV in Australia.

Also, if you didn't know, the recent Rugby World Cup held in Australia, England beat Australia 20-17. Hense all the ANNOYING gloating, and the "loser" tag being used.

Those cup holders are apparantly out of a Saab. Holden only fits them to its up-spec luxury models, unfortunately it looks like the Pontiac version misses out.

Info on the "Vauxhall Monaro CV8" here:
http://vauxhall.co.uk/futureModels/monaro.jhtml

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Those cup holders are cool. Another thing we don't get stateside.

I was taken aback by his comments about the LS1. While it isn't the most technologically sophisticated engine on the planet, it certain has to be up there. Yet he doesn't see it that way. It's cam profile, head design, sophisticated management system. makes great levels of power, meets OBDII emissions requirements, and still delivers great fuel economy. Nope, no technology involved there. :D

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Actually, they decreased displacement. The LS1 is 346 cubes. :D

I never said it was the most technologically sophisticated, just that it's up there and is by far light years ahead of the one it replaced. That Lambo motor also hasn't spawned an engine line for it's truck line which sells around 300,000 units a year combined, isn't sought by a subsidiary in Australia, already has a large aftermarket established for it. So it's also a flexible power platform. It can be set up for flexible fuels also. Is Lamborghini's? Get back to me when they do.

As to fuel economy, I manage 17 with my heads and cammed car around town about 24 on the highway. To put that in comparison, my 96 Monte's V6 gets 13, my last tank in the truck I managed a whopping 7.8, and my buddies Explorer that I had for a week managed 13.8.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Well then we agree. It's a pretty advanced engine regardless. Yes, we know increasing displacement is the cheapest way to do it.

I was only talking about the engines though, I wasn't (nor was the guy in the video) commenting on GM's cheap interiors. I can tell you about how wonderfully luxurious my interior on the Camaro is if you'd like (sarcasm there). :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
For what it is the LS1 is good. But give it variable valve timing, and 5 valves per cylinder and see if it make more power while using less fuel. In Europe/UK they are used to BMW M5's and Turbocharged WRX's etc. The Monaro is a completely new kind of car for them. Like they said, it is very cheap and "a lot of car for the money". If you start loading it with technology then you start adding cost. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

When Holden first looked at replacing the Holden 304 in the mid 1990's (*me cry at its memory*) they first asked for the Cadillac Northstar engine, but GM said no (as it wanted to keep it for Caddy I guess), and I guess Holden may have been scared off by its excessive cost as well. The LS1 is a good engine for Holden as it fits most of them to affordable sedans, and needs to keep cost under control.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Funky, I totally undertstand what you're saying. Which is why I love these engines (not just the LS1 mind you) as they're simple, efficient (for their size) and deliver the goods.

Like you said, this is a whole new concept for them over there. They aren't use to the American style "Hot-rod" like power. They are used to refined, friendly dosage power. :D

Actually, I can't complain about my interior all but yes, it is far from perfect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
how do you get to this link?

good reviews, but how can i download the review for myself

Ude-Lose said:
You guys have to see this... - but its 70MB :eek: (but worth it for broadboand users)

the way he throws the car around is awesome....

and plenty of british humour... mostly bashing the aussies :D (bastages)

but all in all a big thumbs up for the car, and awesome sideway action !!!

mirror 1

enjoy ... oh you must have divx installed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts