LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so heres my problem. i need 2 new cats to pass smog and i live in california .so i called around to a few shops and the cheapest ive found was $500 each cat and 150 for installation so a total of $1150!!wich is ridiculous so after looking online i came across these uni cats but dont want to put something on thats going to cause problems so if anyone can shed some light id appreciate it thanks

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
698 Posts
If you still have the stock exhaust manifolds, buy the JBA catted mid-pipes. They're a direct fit, except you'll need longer bolts/studs. JBA 2809SYC, $604 at Summit Racing for the pair.

·
Administrator
8,400 Posts
If you still have the stock exhaust manifolds, buy the JBA catted mid-pipes. They're a direct fit, except you'll need longer bolts/studs. JBA 2809SYC, $604 at Summit Racing for the pair.
He lives in CA, so if he needs CARB approved replacements, then those won’t fly. High flow cats will also set a CEL 9 times out of 10.

Reactions: LS2-GTO

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
698 Posts
He lives in CA, so if he needs CARB approved replacements, then those won’t fly. High flow cats will also set a CEL 9 times out of 10.
Ahhh, skipped right over the CA part. :) I ended up getting a CEL for both sides with Rich's old headers and mid-pipes after steady-state cruising for at least several minutes, so I unchecked the codes in HP Tuners so they don't come on.

·
Registered
931 Posts
The high flow cats will set a light after a short while. If the guy with a long name,OP, has a smog tech that won’t get under and inspect then he’ll be ok for a bit. I’m in Cali and I run those. I do swap to stocks for smog but notice when I switch back to the JBA cats it takes about 50 miles before the code gets set and that’s with a Diablo Tune.
Aside from that, there’s a guy on Craigslist selling used cats for about $300.
If you want to stay stock then buy CARB legal and be done with it. Want some gains or take a chance on used then find a used set and/or upgrade to high flow cats.

·
Registered
931 Posts

·
Is that FWD?
1,111 Posts
The high flow cats will set a light after a short while. If the guy with a long name,OP, has a smog tech that won’t get under and inspect then he’ll be ok for a bit. I’m in Cali and I run those. I do swap to stocks for smog but notice when I switch back to the JBA cats it takes about 50 miles before the code gets set and that’s with a Diablo Tune.
Aside from that, there’s a guy on Craigslist selling used cats for about $300.
If you want to stay stock then buy CARB legal and be done with it. Want some gains or take a chance on used then find a used set and/or upgrade to high flow cats.
You can get the 90 degree bungs for the back O2 sensors and that will stop the JBA high flow mids with cats from throwing CEL. I had that on my GTO for years, and it stopped the CEL.

·
GR-RRR!
5,931 Posts
Ahhh, skipped right over the CA part. :) I ended up getting a CEL for both sides with Rich's old headers and mid-pipes after steady-state cruising for at least several minutes, so I unchecked the codes in HP Tuners so they don't come on.
Weird, but I suppose it depends too on what else you have and what your tune is like. I had those JBA high flow cats for many years. Never turned off the sensors and it never once threw a code/light. BUT if they aren't CARB certified it really doesn't matter in CA if they work or not.

·
Worthless reject member
40,993 Posts
JBA sucks.

there are other companies that make replacement mids for the GTO. Pacesetter makes them.

·
Worthless reject member
40,993 Posts

EDIT: BAH i just read they aren't legal for CA. well, forget it then.

·
Worthless reject member
40,993 Posts
:unsure: Mine fit great and definitely picked up the power.
their quality control has went down the tubes with my last experience. Shipped me a mid with a flange installed backwards. shipped me a replacement, but it was the wrong side. i said f-u after that. i installed my own flange and it worked fine, but for the trouble i could have done my own exhaust.

someone else has posted about their header welds being pretty lousy as of late.

i wouldn't purchase from them again.

the pacesetters look like they will flow nice. the first few inches before the cats looks the same dia. as the rest of the pipe, unlike the stock mids. it also comes with an extra bung for a wideband.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
698 Posts
Well, I bought mine used from Rich, so they were probably made before these issues. <shrug>

·
GR-RRR!
5,931 Posts
The JBA stuff I had and which Westphal now has were all very well made. I bought those parts in December 2011. I hope he is as happy with those parts as I was, they served me well.

Now, the Magnaflow catback I bought at the same time had a couple pinholes in the welds at the X pipe which I had to have welded up locally, but Magnaflow paid me for my trouble ($25).

·
Registered
218 Posts
To the OP, where in California are you and are you running stock manifolds or JBA short tube headers? If so and local enough I may be able to help if you need stock cats with the stock mid pipes.

·
Freedom Fighter
777 Posts
so heres my problem. i need 2 new cats to pass smog and i live in california .so i called around to a few shops and the cheapest ive found was $500 each cat and 150 for installation so a total of $1150!!wich is ridiculous so after looking online i came across these uni cats but dont want to put something on thats going to cause problems so if anyone can shed some light id appreciate it thanks

What year are you? Buy a used set of mid pipes. People will have them laying around.

·
Freedom Fighter
777 Posts
if they haven't turned them in for scrap.
Well yeah, no crap. Between here and Facebook, I can almost guarantee someone has a set. He can get them shipped for way under 1100.

It wasn't easy for me to score a used set of JBA catted mids but in the end I found them eventually.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts