LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Bonzai Baby
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Update: A4 Exhaust Vibration

I brought my car back to the dealership to look at the exhaust vibration that occurs at 1000 RPM. They felt the problem is caused by the flexplate in the transmission being out of balance. They tried to adjust it unsuccessfully. So they need to order replacement parts. Unfortunately the parts are comming from Australia. They also found that a seal in the rear axel is leaking fluid. They beleive that the vibration may have caused this problem as well. I hope the repair will fix the problem. Have to wait and see.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Please keep us posted. I don't have that vibration problem .......... yet
:drink: :drink:

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
If they go by the Shop Manual's troubleshooting procedures they'll nail it, but they are so extensive, it might take more than one pass to get it perfect.

·
Bonzai Baby
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Old Goat said:
If they go by the Shop Manual's troubleshooting procedures they'll nail it, but they are so extensive, it might take more than one pass to get it perfect.

Hope so - I'm a patient man!! This vibration (and I'm not the only one with it) is very annoying. One of the reasons we bought the car, is to listen to the exhaust. I have found myself turning the radio on, just to drown out the rattle. Jeesh!!

·
Bonzai Baby
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How come I can't correct the spelling on title posts?? I know, I'm anal - you know what I mean.

·
Bonzai Baby
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got a call back from the dealer. The transmission has been repaired.

Bad news - It needs a new rear end. They are hoping to get parts over night.

I'm angry as hell.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Holy Crap!! Hopefully it will end there. That vibration was a killer.

·
Bonzai Baby
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tails said:
Holy Crap!! Hopefully it will end there. That vibration was a killer.

Look for fluid burnt onto the exhaust - That's how they found my rear end problem. Unfortunately, they told me not to worry about it unless I found a puddle in the driveway. If I would have been thinking, I should have asked myself if "the puddle" already spilled somewhere else. 2 weeks went by waiting for the flexplate part from Australia. This will not go by easy with me. I wonder if I have other vibration related issues waiting to hose me.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
johmol said:
Look for fluid burnt onto the exhaust - That's how they found my rear end problem. Unfortunately, they told me not to worry about it unless I found a puddle in the driveway. If I would have been thinking, I should have asked myself if "the puddle" already spilled somewhere else. 2 weeks went by waiting for the flexplate part from Australia. This will not go by easy with me. I wonder if I have other vibration related issues waiting to hose me.

Was the vibration real loud, like metal beating against metal? I have an A4 and I don't think I have any vibration. Where would I look for the fluid burnt on to the exhaust? Goodluck, hopefully all your problems will be solved.

·
Bonzai Baby
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I have a repaired transmission and rear end. And, the exhaust vibration was still present. Took the car to the dealer and had the service manager take a ride. He heard the noise I was talking about. The car goes back in tomorrow.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Rear End

johmol said:
Just got a call back from the dealer. The transmission has been repaired.

Bad news - It needs a new rear end. They are hoping to get parts over night.

I'm angry as hell.
That may be a good thing. They might put it in tighter and better. See the Posi issues elsewhere here.

·
Bonzai Baby
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Old Goat said:
That may be a good thing. They might put it in tighter and better. See the Posi issues elsewhere here.
I don't drive my car hard. The noise happens when you let the car idle up to just under 1K. Then the exhaust vibrates like hell for a split second and goes away immediately (loud though). Old Goat, have you listened for this with your car? If I were to beat on the car every minute, I would never notice. But, I drive around at idle in second gear with my wife reviewing the housing market.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Exhaust vibration

johmol said:
I don't drive my car hard. The noise happens when you let the car idle up to just under 1K. Then the exhaust vibrates like hell for a split second and goes away immediately (loud though). Old Goat, have you listened for this with your car? If I were to beat on the car every minute, I would never notice. But, I drive around at idle in second gear with my wife reviewing the housing market.
I've never noticed it on my A4. I'll try what you do to get it tomorrow and get back to you, 2nd just under 1,000 RPM?

·
Bonzai Baby
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Solved!! The exhaust rattle was a result of the Chrome exhaust tips not being secure. He showed me on a brand new M6 sitting in the show room. If you push down on exhaust tips, they don't move. If you put your hand under and lift up, they move and will hit against the bumper. On my car, they will no longer move up or down. All of this work for that conclusion. Jeesh!!!!!!

I wonder if this is related to all of the noises heard on hard launch??

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Tip rattle

johmol said:
Solved!! The exhaust rattle was a result of the Chrome exhaust tips not being secure. He showed me on a brand new M6 sitting in the show room. If you push down on exhaust tips, they don't move. If you put your hand under and lift up, they move and will hit against the bumper. On my car, they will no longer move up or down. All of this work for that conclusion. Jeesh!!!!!!

I wonder if this is related to all of the noises heard on hard launch??
Great that you found it! I was going to have to report that doing the 2nd gear cruise in '2' of the neighborhood streets that I could not get the rattle off idle to 1,000...but I did get to meet a lot of curious neighbors... :)

John

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
johmol said:
Solved!! The exhaust rattle was a result of the Chrome exhaust tips not being secure.
Oh, dude, I wish I had known it was that kind of rattle you were talking about. I noticed how loose those tail pipes were during one of my "under car explorations." I showed it to the dealer and they fixed it for me. I had never noticed a rattle, but I definitely noticed the "play" in the rear-most tail pipe bracket.

If I recall, one of the project cars actually removed their tail pipes because the "play" was causing so much rattling.

Glad you got it fixed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts