LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

Fairly new to the forum and looking for some advice.

I have a 04 A4 GTO. Its got just about 104,000 miles. Ive been looking at doing a 228r cam kit from TSP with the 112LSA.

Considering the higher mileage of my car, i have been studying up on what may need to be replaced while the components are off to install the cam.

So far, i have heard that the timing chain is most important, and I have decided to get the LS2 timing chain kit. Aside from that, i have also heard those who have replaced the oil pump and water pump as well.

I am mainly looking for some guidance as far as what would be the best to replace considering the mileage, and i would rather be safe than sorry. Also, branching off of the oil and water pump I was also wondering if any replacements were needed for the fuel pump and injectors. I have heard some mixed opinions regarding the duty cycle of the injectors.

Extra information on the car, it currently has long tube headers, an OTR cold air intake, and is sitting at 366hp after a tune.

Any any all help and opinions is much appreciated!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Pump and injector are fine. I’d do the fuel pump eventually simply because of age.
Do the oil pump. You are already there and better safe than sorry. Water pump could wait. I got a cheap one off eBay and have been using it for several years without issue.
That dampener kit is a bit of a hassle but well worth it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pump and injector are fine. I’d do the fuel pump eventually simply because of age.
Do the oil pump. You are already there and better safe than sorry. Water pump could wait. I got a cheap one off eBay and have been using it for several years without issue.
That dampener kit is a bit of a hassle but well worth it.
Thankyou so much for the help! That clears things up quite a bit!

·
Worthless reject member
39,200 Posts
From the handful of chevy performance oil pumps i've gotten, i would get a melling pump and then make sure to clean the insides before installing. acdelco quality control is trash.

i also have a FTI SS-TQ cam if you want it, still new in box. I am currently thinking of using a different cam for my LS1. the SSTQ duration is 269/273 advertized, 220/224 @ .050" .596/.591 lift 111 LSA, looks like it has 3 degrees of advance and 0 degrees of overlap at .050"

look into getting new lifters. i hear johnsons are good for the price. CHE kit for the trunnions is the best thing going right now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From the handful of chevy performance oil pumps i've gotten, i would get a melling pump and then make sure to clean the insides before installing. acdelco quality control is trash.

i also have a FTI SS-TQ cam if you want it, still new in box. I am currently thinking of using a different cam for my LS1. the SSTQ duration is 269/273 advertized, 220/224 @ .050" .596/.591 lift 111 LSA, looks like it has 3 degrees of advance and 0 degrees of overlap at .050"

look into getting new lifters. i hear johnsons are good for the price. CHE kit for the trunnions is the best thing going right now.
Thankyou for recommending all the great brands! I have also heard great things about the melling pumps. That is all very helpful, thankyou very much!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
One thing to point out is the cost of lifters is far more than just the lifters.

Have to buy if you do lifters
head bolts/studs
head gaskets
coolant
lifters

All of this can add up to over $500 easily and push$1,000 depending on the hardware and lifters you decide on.

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One thing to point out is the cost of lifters is far more than just the lifters.

Have to buy if you do lifters
head bolts/studs
head gaskets
coolant
lifters

All of this can add up to over $500 easily and push$1,000 depending on the hardware and lifters you decide on.
Thankyou, i will definitely make sure i get all those components

·
Registered
128 Posts
You will need the correct length pushrods if you change you do different lifters and headgasket. It is also a good idea to put in dual springs in the heads. BTR platinums are what a lot of people use, including myself.

Cam swap =
New gaskets
oil pressure gauge (very important to make sure you have healthy oil pressure after the install lol)
new lifters ( a lot of people use ls7 lifters for this type of build)
new lifter trays
new pushrods
dual valvesprings (BTR platinums are popular)
trunnion kit for your stock rockers (comp cams and BTR are common kits for this)
new timing chain (ls2 is popular and cheap)
new headbolts (would be smart to spring for the ARP headstuds if you plan on pulling the heads more than once because they are reusable)
possibly the oil pump if you are going as far as dropping the pan, but it's a pain in the ass

Those are the major ones off the top of my head haha.

LS1Howto.com
^ this place has a good writeup on the install.

Good luck dude

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You will need the correct length pushrods if you change you do different lifters and headgasket. It is also a good idea to put in dual springs in the heads. BTR platinums are what a lot of people use, including myself.

Cam swap =
New gaskets
oil pressure gauge (very important to make sure you have healthy oil pressure after the install lol)
new lifters ( a lot of people use ls7 lifters for this type of build)
new lifter trays
new pushrods
dual valvesprings (BTR platinums are popular)
trunnion kit for your stock rockers (comp cams and BTR are common kits for this)
new timing chain (ls2 is popular and cheap)
new headbolts (would be smart to spring for the ARP headstuds if you plan on pulling the heads more than once because they are reusable)
possibly the oil pump if you are going as far as dropping the pan, but it's a pain in the ass

Those are the major ones off the top of my head haha.

LS1Howto.com
^ this place has a good writeup on the install.

Good luck dude
Thankyou! I have also seen many using LS7 lifters and an LS2 lifter tray, and they are decent priced. As far as pushrod length, i have seen people say that you need a 7.35 pushrod with the LS7 lifters because they are longer than stock LS1 lifters. I myself have not measured, just what I have seen on forums, but I would hate to buy the wrong push rod length. I have also seen people say on this forum that the thickeness of the head gasket will play a part in the push rod length you need?

Thankyou for all your help and great information

·
Worthless reject member
39,200 Posts
Thankyou! I have also seen many using LS7 lifters and an LS2 lifter tray, and they are decent priced. As far as pushrod length, i have seen people say that you need a 7.35 pushrod with the LS7 lifters because they are longer than stock LS1 lifters. I myself have not measured, just what I have seen on forums, but I would hate to buy the wrong push rod length. I have also seen people say on this forum that the thickeness of the head gasket will play a part in the push rod length you need?

Thankyou for all your help and great information
you measure pushrod length as one of the last steps. the checker goes in place of a normal pushrod and is adjustable, you check the length at zero lash and add the desired preload value to come up with the pushrod length you need. so, everything is pretty much assembled at that point. cam and lifters are in, heads are bolted down with the new gaskets.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you measure pushrod length as one of the last steps. the checker goes in place of a normal pushrod and is adjustable, you check the length at zero lash and add the desired preload value to come up with the pushrod length you need. so, everything is pretty much assembled at that point. cam and lifters are in, heads are bolted down with the new gaskets.
Okay, considering that I will not be installing any of this myself, it may be beneficial to get a few sizes of pushrods.

·
Worthless reject member
39,200 Posts
you could do that, but it would be more of PITA to order a swath of sizes and then have them all be wrong. most people get to that point in the build and then find the exact size they need, and then start making phone calls or ordering off the internet. you might end up wanting a custom length to get closer to your desired lifter preload, since most off the shelf stuff comes in increments.

generally, especially with LS7 lifters which have like .166" of pluger travel, it's ok to be a little off. since off the shelf pushrods come in as small as .025" increments, and you find the next closest increment is a few thousanths off from what you need, you could decide to go for it. Some say to go longer to combat bleed down from areation at higher rpm, some say to go shorter, whatever. a lot of folks will give you different numbers for the desired preload. .080" is the number rmost people shoot for. The most you'll be potentially off with an off the shelf pushrod is .0125."

there are companies that will make a custom length. i think manton does. crower does. smith brothers does, i think.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you could do that, but it would be more of PITA to order a swath of sizes and then have them all be wrong. most people get to that point in the build and then find the exact size they need, and then start making phone calls or ordering off the internet. you might end up wanting a custom length to get closer to your desired lifter preload, since most off the shelf stuff comes in increments.

generally, especially with LS7 lifters which have like .166" of pluger travel, it's ok to be a little off. since off the shelf pushrods come in as small as .025" increments, and you find the next closest increment is a few thousanths off from what you need, you could decide to go for it. Some say to go longer to combat bleed down from areation at higher rpm, some say to go shorter, whatever. a lot of folks will give you different numbers for the desired preload. .080" is the number rmost people shoot for. The most you'll be potentially off with an off the shelf pushrod is .0125."

there are companies that will make a custom length. i think manton does. crower does. smith brothers does, i think.
I will definitely look into the custom length. Thankyou for that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Okay, considering that I will not be installing any of this myself, it may be beneficial to get a few sizes of pushrods.
If you are using factory spec lifter (same height) and not milling your head, you won’t need to change pushrod length because base circle on the 228r is same as stock cam. Just get better quality, tsp can supply with cam.

My 06 is at 176k miles, installed 228r at 140k,new springs, pushrods, oil pump (ported it myself), ls2 timing chain, head gaskets, oil pan gasket, timing cover set and tuned. Car went from “meh” to “hell yeah” over night.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts