LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The free trade agreements been finalised. Good news is the Tariffs on cars will be abolished. Meaning the 25% tariff on utes is gone. Perhaps a future el camino????

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
It is great news! I adore that UTE!!!

·
3,327 Posts
Tails said:
It is great news! I adore that UTE!!!
After reading about this, I got to really looking at the Utes. Good God, kind of like having a wet dream! The return of the elCamino may never happen, but if it does, Thats my new car. LS1 even. "The front is like a car, the back is like a truck. The front is where you drive, the back is where you.....elCamino!"

Warren

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Warren said:
After reading about this, I got to really looking at the Utes. Good God, kind of like having a wet dream! The return of the elCamino may never happen, but if it does, Thats my new car. LS1 even. "The front is like a car, the back is like a truck. The front is where you drive, the back is where you haul stuff.
Warren
Just to finish you poem. BTW when I scroll down it looks like I am talking to myself.
:confused: :confused:

·
3,327 Posts
Tails said:
Just to finish you poem. BTW when I scroll down it looks like I am talking to myself.
You are my Hero Tails. ;) :drink: :drink: :drink:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
You are a very sick and twisted individual!!!

·
3,327 Posts
Tails said:
You are a very sick and twisted individual!!!
Oh, I know. Was there ever any doubt after my first 5 posts?

Warren.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
TriShield said:
Don't discount the Ute being sold here in a hurry, GM has been hinting at it for awhile now,

http://www.drive.com.au/news/article.asp?article=http://drive.fairfax.com.au/content-new/news/general/2004/02/09/FFXA3RPDFQD.html

If the Ute comes for 2005, I would buy it over a GTO, and everything else.

:thumbs:
I think this can only bode well for GM and the US auto industry as a whole. Lutz is not afraid to let the tail wag the dog a little. If Detroit had been designing/building cars as well as Holden over the years, perhaps Toyota wouldn't be the #2 US car. Now as to a rear wheel drive SAAB......... :sneaky:

·
3,327 Posts
TriShield said:
Don't discount the Ute being sold here in a hurry, GM has been hinting at it for awhile now,

http://www.drive.com.au/news/article.asp?article=http://drive.fairfax.com.au/content-new/news/general/2004/02/09/FFXA3RPDFQD.html

If the Ute comes for 2005, I would buy it over a GTO, and everything else.

:thumbs:
I am still planning on getting my GTO, but I would probably trade it in on the elCamino. I dont have any history with a GTO, other than always wanting one. I actually had an elCamino, and those Ute's are Very Very sharp looking vehicles. GTO will not be my daily driver, but I could see myself using the elCamino as a daily driver. :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
the aussie ute

Odin said:
The free trade agreements been finalised. Good news is the Tariffs on cars will be abolished. Meaning the 25% tariff on utes is gone. Perhaps a future el camino????
WAIT till ya see the HSV.COM.AU site look at the holden avelanch, and the GTS ute,, or the maloo ute it drives like a car and goes like a rocket,, the ute is something you guys must see,,its a true sports pickup,,full independent front and rear,,AND its got brakes like never seen on an american production car,,i aint running down american cars,,coz i own one and love it,, but because of the protection in the industry over there GM has lost the game years ago,,the government gives Gm billions of tax relief and they really got lazy,,,,,,,,,,,,,these aussie cars are world class,,,there is onother model with the 440HP engine ,,i dont think is available in america,,,and the 427 model monaro that races here was close to production,,,but stopped,,,its 600+hp..it races here on a regular basis,,the car smashed the best europe can muster in a 24 hour race,,lamborghini,,ferrari,, porscheGT3,s mosler MT900,s BMW M3GTR,s (v8,s),,these monaro,s won by around 40 laps,,and were carrying extra weight to make them slower so the race could be more competative over 24 hours,,yes the GTO is a sleeper,,anyway who needs wings and scoops,,my camaro has them and it WAS about as fast as a toyota camry, till put a 409 in it ,,aussie steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
the aussie ute Is comming +more

Warren said:
I am still planning on getting my GTO, but I would probably trade it in on the elCamino. I dont have any history with a GTO, other than always wanting one. I actually had an elCamino, and those Ute's are Very Very sharp looking vehicles. GTO will not be my daily driver, but I could see myself using the elCamino as a daily driver. :cool:
PLease i just joined this site,,so go easy,,,,the trade thing was signed by bush weeks ago,thats signed,,,,lutz from gm came here in 2002 for a holiday and was totally blown away with the quality and driver friendly cars,made by holden,the press here have put out much about this,, like a magazine called motor feb 2004 last week,, they had the full line up of cars going to america,the ute is next, followed by a duel cab ute version called the sportsman,again LS1,,same front as the commodore,,,a 4x4 Ls1 wagon , that hauls (like you know what!),,i also think the 4 door car is comming,, THATS the big banger,, at over 440Hp,,again same front as the monaro coupe or ute,but a BMW M5 killer at 1/3 the cost,the holden commodore GTS 300kw is the big moover,,its a 4 door,, same suspension and layout as the GTO,but with fully adjustable suspension,,19inch wheels,440hp 6 speed with the calloway engine+ more holden designed,from their racing developement
i dont work for Gm here,,but know a lot having owed many cars including the first model monaro it was a 1968 GTS coupe factory 275hp 327 saginaw 4 speed 10 bolt car with factory traction bars and a 28 gallon fuel tank,but smaller than a camaro, these cars raced against the holman and moody prepared boss 302 mustangs here and were as good ,the fastest american car here racing the monaro was the legendary69 ZL1 427 alloy camaro of tyre tycoon bob jane that ran the mclaren can am spec engine with the injection,,the monaro chassis layout was as good then,, , we knew we had a winner then,, the monaro car ran up to 1978 and was seen in many different styles and options,,like the 69 HTGTS monaro 350ci 300HPsbc fitted with a muncie rock crusher and all the track pack fitted standard,,the ute is comming and will be the elcamino,,,,the wagon and the rocket saloon car,, the GTS commodore 300 killowatt,,and now higher in the Vy model (1 killowatt=1.34hp)
i am a member of the australian camaro firebird club,we are very active, and have over 300 local members,,in our club,,there are clubs here for every model american car,, and on our monthly cruise nights, we encourage many clubs to join in, ,,we get everything from 65 GTO,s to cudas,mustangs,vettes,hot rods,australia loves american cars,and i hope you enjoy ours, as they may not have all the wings and scoops like my camaro was made with,,but the new GTO dont need em,,the shape works without extra bolt ons,,however!!!there are really cool carbon fibre and titanium adjustable HIGH,,,,,,,,,,,BIG ,,rear wings that are 1 foot aff the trunk lid,,,,,they work,,like wind tunnel tested,, they are used here,and seen on cars here,,,,,these are raw carbon fibre looking,,,,the cars here like your GTO can also be seen with a rear de fuser,,its not as radical on yours as seen here,,its part of the rear bumper,it pulls the air out from under the car at high speed,it works,,,also these cars are FULL bosch electrics cars,, very reliable,,nothing is made in mexico, china,or indonesia,,like most cars,,our roads are rough and this car can take it easy,,its best on them little bumpy country roads,,it loves them,,,,,,,i really cant imagine seeing an australian car on the LA freeway,,,

·
Registered
5 Posts
the ute is comming believe me

Tails said:
the ute is comming its mentioned in the australian press,the wagon is next and the 440hp saloon car,(the fastest of the lot),although bush wont sign the free trade on sugar, as floria is run by his brother,, florida is the bigest producer of sugar,and the re count!!
hope ya like them cars we do,,,in australia :mullet:

·
3,327 Posts
steve d said:
the ute is comming its mentioned in the australian press,the wagon is next and the 440hp saloon car,(the fastest of the lot),although bush wont sign the free trade on sugar, as floria is run by his brother,, florida is the bigest producer of sugar,and the re count!!
hope ya like them cars we do,,,in australia :mullet:
Steve D - Thanks for the info! Do you have any links to the Austrailian press that confirms my big dream? The dealer that I bought my GTO from is a big elCamino fan too, and I would like to have something to print out and show him. Thanks again!

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
steve d said:
i really cant imagine seeing an australian car on the LA freeway,,,
That one's easy. First, seek out a nearly full parking lot. Second, pull into a parking space, but leave the engine on, apply brakes. Third, every 2 minutes, pull the car forward about 6 inches.
You have now mastered LA freeway driving.

·
297kW User
1,928 Posts
mistermike said:
If Detroit had been designing/building cars as well as Holden over the years, perhaps Toyota wouldn't be the #2 US car.
You mean reliable bland disposable sedans? I'm glad they don't (but all my GM cars have been fantastic). Toyota isn't second in sales either, they retracted that statement last week.

·
297kW User
1,928 Posts
steve d said:
the ute is comming its mentioned in the australian press,the wagon is next and the 440hp saloon car,(the fastest of the lot),
Autoweek reported that a large, RWD car will probably be assembled in Australia and imported for Buick in the next few years, and that it wouldn't be a similar to the Holden flavor. I guess that means the next Caprice and whatever this Buick may be will be the same car, at least mechanically.

·
297kW User
1,928 Posts
I also emailed Chevrolet last week about importing the Holden Ute SS, and I recieved two replies back both stating they currently have no plans to do so.

I suggest you all write Chevrolet and General Motors and let them know you're very interested in them as I have done.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
a) these aussie cars are world class,,,there is onother model with the 440HP engine
b) the 427 model monaro that races here was close to production
c) car smashed the best europe can muster in a 24 hour race,,lamborghini,,ferrari,, porscheGT3,s mosler MT900,s BMW M3GTR,s (v8,s),,these monaro,s won by around 40 laps and were carrying extra weight to make them slower so the race could be more competative over 24 hours
Hi Steve d, glad to see another aussie in ls1gto. Hope you like and enjoy the crazies here.

I disagree with some of your comments:
a) holdens are not world class yet in terms of fit and finish, quality in the mould of BMWs and mercs of the world. As for the 440hp model there are plenty most notably CSVs, however no factory holdens or hsv. 440hp might be for the upcoming HSV GTS.
b) the 427 is closer to supercar spec and technology than to roadcars. Wait until Emotional engineering in the UK gets their hands on the yellow 427 monaro. I think rules in the GTO class allows for weight reduction i.e. light weight materials.
c) 40 laps is streching it a bit. the 02 was something like 24 laps while the 03 was like 12 laps. The 02 would have been closer if the porsche 911RS didnt decide to take a closer look at the concrete wall and passing bushes, or the ferrari hadent been carring bombs in the engine bay. The 03 however was convincing (monaros ran like clockwork apart from minor glitches). Also I dont think ballast wasnt added for the 24hr, only normal round winners (applied to all cars). The monaro did have rev limiters and smaller air intakes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts