LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
TBYRNE Performance
4,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We've been giving the go to use the King Cobra induction on the GTO as well as the late model GM trucks. The airbox that is over 100% efficient, it will produce up to 2+ psi of pressure in the manifold at shift recovery producing stunning 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile improvements plus the quick/easy installation can be done in about 10 minutes.

The King Cobra kits were designed from day one to be used daily to enhance vehicle performance beyond what a conventional cold air box can do, without sacrificing the durability or the value of the vehicle. This has been accomplished by producing a true sealed Cold air system that uses a multiple venturi design to maximize overall airflow efficiency, no leaky boxiest that suck under hood hot air, no chopping ,cutting or custom computer tuning!

·
TBYRNE Performance
4,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This one replaces the stock airbox on the GTO and it uses the stock tube that runs to the throttlebody. It's filter is sealed so your not feeding hot air into the motor. Here are a few detailed pics -

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
I would like to see detailed installed pictures. Also, How is this thing providing 2 psi boost? What is it "over 100% efficient" at? With out mechanical assistance, these two statements do not make sense. My physics teacher would be rolling in his grave if I ever said anything was "over 100% efficient".

A true cold air system that flows well would be a great thing and this may be one. Where is it pulling air from? I'm guessig that you do not need to cut any holes in the car because you are saying "without sacrificing the durability or the value of the vehicle". This may be the filter set up that I have been hoping for but imposible claims make me leary.

Dyno / Track numbers?

Where does it get air?

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
sxty8goats said:
I would like to see detailed installed pictures. Also, How is this thing providing 2 psi boost? What is it "over 100% efficient" at? With out mechanical assistance, these two statements do not make sense. My physics teacher would be rolling in his grave if I ever said anything was "over 100% efficient".

A true cold air system that flows well would be a great thing and this may be one. Where is it pulling air from? I'm guessig that you do not need to cut any holes in the car because you are saying "without sacrificing the durability or the value of the vehicle". This may be the filter set up that I have been hoping for but imposible claims make me leary.

Dyno / Track numbers?

Where does it get air?
yes ditto all that

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Blitzu said:
Superchargers accomplish this by running off the belt system, and a turbo forces air in by using the exhaust as it's power.... what does this box do to force it in??
could it be some sort of electrical fan???

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
An electical blower is available on Ebay. It does not work. It takes a huge amount of energy to compress air in the quantities needed to supply a engine with the 300 plus cfm needed at high RPM. If you want to test the therory, get an electric blower and try to put your hand over the nozzel while it is on. You will be able to stop the flow of air. And that is a blower running on 120 VAC. Most of these produce the same flow of air you would see @ 100+ MPH but at less CFM.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
yea, I may not be smart but I do understand simple physics. The boost they are claiming can come from an intake manifold at a specific RPM but I do not believe an air box can accomplish the same thing. The line that really bites my bottom is "over 100% efficient". Not posible in this reality. Efficientcy is measured on a scale of 0 to 100%. If you get better than 100% your testing the wrong paramiters.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I remember, isn't that 'fuzzy math'?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Pure snake oil. All I see is somewhat of a Venturi at the inlet. This could concievably increase velocity and give somewhat greater immunity to turbulence caused by discontinuities in the flow path, and that's pure speculation. It may even be a dandy little airbox that might flow better than stock, but when you start talking about pressure waves traveling back and forth in the intake, this is the province of manifold design. In between the manifold and the magic box, there's this pesky little thing called a throttle. If you compress air, it takes additional energy, period. There is no such thing as a passive compressor.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Ditto the above. VR on Vettes are very popular but on the GTO we are limited on sources of cold air unless we start cutting. I would like to see the install and the dyno on it.

·
The Anti Dyno Racer
473 Posts
I doubt this system works on the GTO, as it's not getting the cold air pushed in at all by air flow. The C5 system simply works better than everything else, I gained .25 and 3 MPH over a competitor's system with the same DA and 60' time. There is no positive pressure in the intake, which I checked by watching my MAP reading, but it does reduce the negative pressure in the intake. I have track tested items for the owner of VR industries, I'll have to see what he has coming down the line for GTOs. I'm willing to bet he's already in the prototype stage of a true cold air system....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts