LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a chance to weigh my wheels - rough guesstimates with a bathroom scale. Others please feel free to "weigh in" with other options - it would be good to have a reference for those of us concerned about wheel/tire weight when racing.

Stock rims/tires: 52 lbs.
My 19x9.5 TSW Thruxtons w/ 265/30's: 50 lbs.
My 19x8 TSW Thruxtons w/ 235/35's: 48lbs.
*MDMC's 17" w/ stock BFG tires: 47lbs.
*MDMC's 17" w/ Nitto 555R's: 45lbs.

I'm pretty pleased that my 19's came in lighter than the stock rims.

I'm borrowing MDMC's 17" drag radials to see what happens at the 1/4 mile track tomorrow night. Wish me luck. :)

*I don't know the specs of these 17's, but they do need spacers up front. There's a video in one of the threads that shows them.

Padre

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
PadreGTO,

Up to know have you had any rubbing with your wheel/tire combo? They look great but how do they ride?

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Doc GTO said:
Up to now have you had any rubbing with your wheel/tire combo? They look great but how do they ride?
I wouldn't recommend 19's for cross country trips like I just did (4000 miles). You feel every imperfection in the road. My 19x8's fit fine, the 19x9.5's in the rear needed fender rolling. They're great around-town rims (everyone :hail: them). Since they're actually lighter than the 17x8's, that means they're better for dragging and autocrossing. But I'm going to try out the 17's with drag radials tomorrow. These particular 17" rims/tires have already run 11's with an M6. It'll be fun to see how they do on an A4 with a high stall converter.

Padre

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
PadreGTO said:
I wouldn't recommend 19's for cross country trips like I just did (4000 miles). You feel every imperfection in the road. My 19x8's fit fine, the 19x9.5's in the rear needed fender rolling. They're great around-town rims (everyone :hail: them). Since they're actually lighter than the 17x8's, that means they're better for dragging and autocrossing. But I'm going to try out the 17's with drag radials tomorrow. These particular 17" rims/tires have already run 11's with an M6. It'll be fun to see how they do on an A4 with a high stall converter.

Thanks PadreGTO. I'm for sure going with 18 inchers, I just haven't made up my mind on the rears (275s or stay with 245s).

·
ABENIGO
26 Posts
245's are WAY TOO small for a 3700 pounds car. even the f-body's run 275's.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I'm happy with the 18's. Roads here suck way too hard for 19's IMHO. Padre, I'll bet the 17's are ideal for drag. The smaller diameter gives you less rotational inertia and the deeper sidewall should give you a smoother bite. Nikivee got a great time with 20 lbs in the stock tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts