LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been alot of discussion on modifying the stock air box and relocating the IAT sensor. Has anyone pursued a system like the K&N that is available for the Corvette? The tube would run straight up over the radiator and drop down right behind the grills. Obviously the radiator filler/cover would need to be modified for something like this, but a nice straight path and fresh air right through the grills seems ideal.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Either that or the hood's too low :D It would be kind of ingteresting if someone made a hood with a big "Beavis" bulge at the nose, so the Blackwing would fit under it. It might look like a** but hey, form follows function.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
There was picture of a race driven goat at one time where there was a straight through induction like that but they had to install a special order radiator so the hood could close over it. Can't remember what goat that was now. It was red and and the special ground effects and the relocated oil filter.

The throttle body of the LS1 is right there in the middle, in the front. Makes you scratch your head why they had to make a 90 deg turn and not just design a radiator and a hood that would fit a straight tube. That would be the perfect cold air induction set up.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
That is the Autosport / Stu Hayner driven GT Challenge car. I'd almost consider doing it if you didn't have to scrap the A/C condenser too.

·
The Anti Dyno Racer
473 Posts
Word filtered down to me that Vararam is looking into a system for the GTO. I have one of their systems on my C5 and it got me .25 and 3 MPH over a competitor's system. Maybe if enough people ask, they'll have a little more incentive to get a GTO system ready to go. www.vararam.com

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
I will tell you what this would be a cash cow to someone that gets on the ball. This is a huge mod we need for our heatsuckers.....I am seeing 150* IAT's on a dyno, this is just killing my HP

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you remove the radiator shroud piece, it sure looks like there's enough room for something like this. Not the the exact same one as the Vette, but a similar piece made specifically for the GTO. Even the hight of that shroud alone seems like enough to route the oval tube through. You'd have to remove or notch the center section of the shroud to make the path. My thought was to make a whole new shroud piece that would incorporate the tube right into it. Then it would look like a factory installation.

I've considered talking with a molding campany that I deal with to see what it would cost to set up something like this. I'm sure it's very expensive. There would also need to be some harness extensions in a kit like this.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Um, NO! Where do you get one and how much? V8owners.com? I can't make out the other one. Sam's something...

That's not exactly what I was thinking, but it's close. It looks like hood clearance isn't an issue. Where's the filter?

·
Registered
14 Posts
T.Vick said:
Um, NO! Where do you get one and how much? V8owners.com? I can't make out the other one. Sam's something...

That's not exactly what I was thinking, but it's close. It looks like hood clearance isn't an issue. Where's the filter?
K&N Filter will slip in, have a look at the 3rd pic, you can see the "tongue" for the filter. Still under development in Oz, should be ready some time real soon hopefully. The first 3 pics come via Sams Performance shop in Sydney, http://www.samsperformance.com/
and you can see the link to http://www.V8owners.com in the last.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Looks kinda slick. Personaly, it almost looks bulky up front like that, but who really cares if the performance is there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
CSiJason said:
Looks kinda slick. Personaly, it almost looks bulky up front like that, but who really cares if the performance is there.
Yep, ya don't run don't the 1/4 with ya bonnet up :gr_jest: the V8 owners one has been tested back to back dyno runs and back to back 1/4 runs, it definitely improves rwhp and most importantly, ET & MPH !!!

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
That V8owners.com air induction looks interesting but I see one major problem.

I don't know how Maggie is going to blow me someday with that in the way.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
I will tell you what this would be a cash cow to someone that gets on the ball. This is a huge mod we need for our heatsuckers.....I am seeing 150* IAT's on a dyno, this is just killing my HP
Dont you have a supercharger? I cant keep track of who has a magnacharger these days. If so the two blades spinning at really high RPM smashing air into your motor is what is causing those IAT's. If you have your hood open on the dyno and you see those IAT's its either really really hot outside or something else is not right.

·
Registered
250 Posts
YIIR8 said:
Have you blokes seen these ????

or maybe this one as well ????
Of course you will have to have a MAF-less tune.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
This looks suspiciously like the intake that CAPA sells that every Aussie person says doesn't work worth a damn.

Granted, it's made of CF and therefore will cost 2x - 3x as much but how is this any different?

·
Registered
14 Posts
phobos512 said:
This looks suspiciously like the intake that CAPA sells that every Aussie person says doesn't work worth a damn.

Granted, it's made of CF and therefore will cost 2x - 3x as much but how is this any different?
These are DEFINITELY NOTHING LIKE what Capa sells mate....go to the v8 owners website, these have been tested back to back, on dyno for those dyno queens, but more importantly, down the blacktop, when the flag drops, the bull**** stops.

·
Registered
198 Posts
thats correct these things dont go via the airbox, it's straight down the throat with these. I believe at least 1 of these are planning a MAF version also. Good for 3/10ths down the quarter guys, some extra aural feedback and better response too.

here are a couple more that are coming

http://www.haroc.1337thing.com/ls1/Nias/P1010247.JPG

http://voodoo.theddrzone.com/images/movies/Scat2k3/SurefloS/surflo 062.jpg

http://voodoo.theddrzone.com/images/movies/Scat2k3/SurefloS/surflo 063.jpg

Consensus is out on which one is going to be the best, personally I think the one that takes most advantage of the high pressure air just in front of the radiator, perhaps

1 - 20 of 32 Posts