LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not sure if this car has been posted yet but I thought it was worth a shot. It has the Vortec Super Charger, Wilwood Brakes, RMR Body Kit.

Blair

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have not seen it before. I like the wheels, brakes and of coarse the blower. I am still trying to decide if I like the body kit. I need to see more pictures. It looks to have aftermarket fenders also or are those part of the body kit?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I'll take the blower, please.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes the fiber glass fenders are part of the kit. They are aftermarket fiber glass fenders that replace the factory fenders, RMR makes them..

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
Talked with the Vortec vendor up in Reno this past weekend. He said that the blower will be out within the next month and would retain a lot of the parts, including the snail, used on the f-body and vettes that they put chargers on. He said they would be in the same price range to. Humm? I may have to wait a month to see how it compares to our other vendors in price and torque. He said it put out between 125-130 rwhp above stock. Only time will tell.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I just sent off an email to Vortech yesterday inquiring about price and delivery estimates, along with a few tech questions, such as whether it's going to replace the injectors / fuel pump per Fbod, or "push" the existing fuel system per Vette. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Vortech, because I believe it will run cooler than the Eaton, and doesn't substitute the intake manifold. Their aftercooler is very efficient, and centrifugals are inherently more efficient than a Roots. Also, the centrifugal won't overpower the drivetrain at launch, but makes stoopid power at high RPM, where the LS1 seems to thrive.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
mistermike said:
I just sent off an email to Vortech yesterday inquiring about price and delivery estimates, along with a few tech questions, such as whether it's going to replace the injectors / fuel pump per Fbod, or "push" the existing fuel system per Vette. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Vortech, because I believe it will run cooler than the Eaton, and doesn't substitute the intake manifold. Their aftercooler is very efficient, and centrifugals are inherently more efficient than a Roots. Also, the centrifugal won't overpower the drivetrain at launch, but makes stoopid power at high RPM, where the LS1 seems to thrive.
the only thing I dont care to much for is it is not as clean looking as the eaton.....I wish we could get some real good dyno's #'s from both as a comparison

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Absolutely. The Eaton package is much neater, and you get to keep your fuel covers, don't have to relocate any engine accessories, or re route the intake air. My main issue centers around the supplied manifold and its ability to cool the hot air coming from the blower. You're pretty much married to that manifold. So far, the Magnuson seems to be pulling around a buck whereas a lot of LS1 guys seem to be squeezing closer to 140 or so with the V2 SQ. LS1 Vortechs have been set up for 7 PSI as opposed to 5ish with the Eaton. Time will tell.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your right mistermike, that is the biggest problem with the Eaton style charger. They run very warm and there is no way to cool the air. Its convenience and style vs performance.

The wheels are custom made 18x8F & 18x9R RacingHart CP-F Tuned. RMR hopes to have them available in a couple of months.

·
21,898 Posts
RMRGTO said:
Your right mistermike, that is the biggest problem with the Eaton style charger. They run very warm and there is no way to cool the air. Its convenience and style vs performance.

The wheels are custom made 18x8F & 18x9R RacingHart CP-F Tuned. RMR hopes to have them available in a couple of months.
would simply having a hood scoop help?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm sure it would but the unit is still connected to the engine getting heat soaked. Also, I believe the way the units creates boost with the dual impellers has a lot of friction causing a lot of heat. The Vortec style units have less friction equaling less heat transfer.

·
21,898 Posts
RMRGTO said:
I'm sure it would but the unit is still connected to the engine getting heat soaked. Also, I believe the way the units creates boost with the dual impellers has a lot of friction causing a lot of heat. The Vortec style units have less friction equaling less heat transfer.
but is there a lag on the vortech?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
but is there a lag on the vortech?
I don't know how the Vortech feels on an LS1 but I had one on my 93GT Stang with emmissions legal cam and heads and put down 490rwhp at 11# boost with zero lag and it would continue to pull hard to the rev limiter. Can't wait to see how it is on the goat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I drove the car in the picture and it pulled from start to finish. I personally did not feel any lag.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
In a well designed system, the boost vs RPM should be pretty linear. Naturally, you've got more boost on top, but you shouldnt have that big dead spot as some turbos do, because the compressor doesn't have to "spool up"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts