LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
TBYRNE Performance
4,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Vortech Engineering, LLC has introduced a new supercharging system for the 2004 5.7L Pontiac GTO with an automatic transmission.**

The addition of the V-2 SQ S-Trim supercharger will increase horsepower from 350 to 481 and torque from 365 lb./ft. to 435 lb./ft. at 7-8 psig at the flywheel.***

The system includes an integrated dual-pass air/water charge cooling configuration, which features a closed loop water cooling system with a stand-alone pump, tank and front mounted heat exchanger. All components needed to bolt the system to a stock vehicle, such as billet aluminum mounting bracket, fuel system upgrade including replacement injectors, supercharger oil feed and drain, compressor bypass valve and all required fasteners are included. The installation allows retention of all factory accessories including A/C and power steering. This system is available in satin or polished finish. The V-2 supercharger is covered by a three-year limited warranty.

*Legal in California only for racing vehicles which may never be used upon a highway.**6-Speed system to be released by the end of September, 2004.***Supercharged horsepower and torque data shown is a calculated estimate based on percentage increases from actual rear wheel hp/tq measurements.

Our pricing is -

Part # 4GJ218-010SQ 2004 5.7 Pontiac GTO - (satin) $5199.99

Part # 4GJ218-018SQ 2004 5.7 Pontiac GTO (polished) $5459.99

Call or e-mail for any additional discounts that we may have!

Tom

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
What type of air intake is provided, and does it require cutting?

·
TBYRNE Performance
4,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vortech currently only has programming for the automatic cars right now. The 6 speed programming should be available in a few weeks. The system has a filter that will draw air from the driver's side front corner.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Stock intake Mike.

I must say, all that plumbing leads to considerable pressure loss by the time it routes around to the TB. Honestly, I think there are better mousetraps out there for the same $$$. I do see that they are using bigger injectors to supply the extra fuel instead of one or two big supplementle units.

It probably isn't available for M6's at first due to programming.

And who in California is gonna know whether or not you have a S/C under the hood? Geezzz, the freaking PC police for liability purposes just had to add that "disclaimer" to the advertising (I'm not referring to you Tom). :)

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I'm not seeing the airbox, so I kind of wondered where they were sucking air. I can see the plumbing loss, but the diameter is at least reasonable, and probably not as bad as an air/air with FMIC. Programming was my guess on the M6 as well. They state stock accessories retained, but not if they need to be relocated. To me, the downside is less boost at 2K, more complexity of install and overall "neatness factor" compared to Maggie. Upside is more boost at top end, easy setup for alky/water injection after the cooler. I'll certainly want to see some dyno sheets. That torque "curve" with the Maggie is tough to beat, though.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
If you look cloesly, you can see the intake just to the right of the S/C itself.

·
TBYRNE Performance
4,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was able to get a larger pic to make it easier to view.

·
That's Got A V6 Right?
303 Posts
I think it loses in the asthetic category. It looks way too busy with that plumbing doing a lap around the bay. But if you are only looking for raw numbers this may work. Will have to see dyno's as said earlier. But for just a few dollars more the maggie is a much neater installation.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you look close Vortech is using a short cog belt to run the supercharger off what looks like a modified power steering pulley or some type of jack shaft. I will bet that cog belt screams so loud you can here it a block away. This set up is only good on a 15 psi race gas race car. I like the OEM look and the quite torque the maggie makes and being able to use the stock coil covers. Maggie all the way!

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
I must say, all that plumbing leads to considerable pressure loss by the time it routes around to the TB.
Not hardly. I've tested pressure before and after an intercooler on an import where the charge pipe went down from the front of the engine where the turbocharger was located, around to the driver side, through a massive front mount intercooler and back up the passanger side to the back of the engine bay where the throttle body was located. At least 3x more distance and considerably more volume in just the intercooler alone. Pressure loss between the turbo side and the throttle body was minimal but the drop in temp from the intercooler made up every bit of difference and then some. The same setup without the intercooler but with a direct charge pipe from the turbo to the throttle body (1/3 the distance and far less volume to "charge") and it made less power due to the higher intake temps.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
kick_*ss said:
Nice, but to busy. Maggie is definitely cleaner.;)
Agree...

·
Registered
91 Posts
FYI, Open air intakes look real cool and will make more power on the dyno, BUT! close the hood and suck some of that 1000+ deg heat off the exhaust manifolds into your engine and see how much power it makes, Only cold air ( Air from the outside of the vehicle) will make power with the hood closed. The stock airbox with a [email protected] will make more power. Run a cold air duct to it to make it better. The best way is to check it with a scanner wene driving up a hill at WOT and see the differance. I am not trying to rag on your nice looking system, just think about it.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
GOATANATOR said:
FYI, Open air intakes look real cool and will make more power on the dyno, BUT! close the hood and suck some of that 1000+ deg heat off the exhaust manifolds into your engine and see how much power it makes, Only cold air ( Air from the outside of the vehicle) will make power with the hood closed. The stock airbox with a [email protected] will make more power. Run a cold air duct to it to make it better. The best way is to check it with a scanner wene driving up a hill at WOT and see the differance. I am not trying to rag on your nice looking system, just think about it.
Yeah, we um, know. I think we've been discussing this since someone got the first "CAI" from Speed Inc a few months ago. But the "CAI"s on the market do make a difference, and that difference is in the volume of air that is taken in. Cold or not, more air = good. A few people have come up with some creative ways of getting colder air from down front, and they look somewhat viable. Use that search button of yours.

·
Registered
91 Posts
First of all I was just trying to be helpful, just because I do not have 1,333 post does not make me stupid, I guess I should have thrown in some real numbers to make sense of this. A stock GTO pulls out 3 deg of timing @ 90-100 IAT and pulls out 5-11 deg from 100 to 194 deg, so hot air will kill Hp unless you custom tuned the IAT tables not to pull timing. Magna Charger is making over 500 HP with the stock air box so it can not be that bad. So all I am saying is if you are not carful, getting hot air in your intake on a stock GTO will hurt your HP no matter how much more air you get.
HotAir-Retarded Timing = Bad

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
The Aussies have been preaching the cold air gospel for quite a while now, as they have had this car much longer than us. The GTO/Holden engine compartment tends to get pretty warm. My IAT's will hit 140 or more in city traffic on a hot day, and that's with the factory airbox. It has been stated that the location for the IAT sensor is poor, and that relocating it can have positive results.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You could Put the sensor in the grill so it reads outside temp. This would be a simple mod that is worth HP. The factory IAT tables are way to agressive. At 140 IAT the car is pulling 6 deg of timing. Ouch!

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Some folks will substitute a certain value resistor (I forget the ohms) to trick the PCM into peak power. Apparently in the GTO, the physical location of the sensor picks up radiator heat over and above the actual air temp. One of our guys is experimenting with backing down the IAT settings. The Magnacharger moves the IAT sensor to a point after the blower. I'll hope to wind up with a happy medium that won't pull timing unnecesarily, but still keep me from hitting the knock sensors.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts