LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was definately MMOB and this guy in a VW bettle Turbo (with some aftermarket exhaust) wants to race me from a 80mph roll? So we go at it and I pull 5+ cars by 110mph or so. He backs off.
Then a little futher up the road I see an STi! He also sees me and we end up running side by side down the road. While he's next to me I notice that his STi doesn't have any STi badges. So I look at the exhaust and he running the stock WRX catback exhaust system. So I've run into a WRX with an STi hood and wing. All he needed to do is get some STI badges and an STi catback exhaust and everyone would think he's an STi.

To the race

We line up at a red light and wait for the green. On green he takes off (but no high rpm launch). That allows me to leave the line right with him. We were basically dead even through 1st gear. I started pulling on him as soon as my A4 shifted into 2nd gear. Then I just pulled away from him hard. I had 4-6 cars by 70-80mph or so and I was pulling away from him like mad. He then hits the brakes and stays way back behind me.

Pretty fun. And as mentioned, the WRX didn't launch on me (which would have given him a slight advantage off the line ). He just revved to maybe 2-3k and slipped out the clutch. I could hear him riding out the clutch leaving the line. He most likey didn't know how to launch or was afraid to do it.

Either way, another WRX goes down. I also loved the look on the guys face as I was pulling away from him in 2nd gear (priceless).

·
F-body owner
1,437 Posts
Nice take downs on the turbos... With the number of STi owners that exchange trunks with WRX owners (in order for the STi owner to get rid of the big wing), it wouldn't shock me that there are a fair number of "STi kills" that were really a regular WRX. Most people who weren't former WRX owners like yourself probably wouldn't notice the difference. :)

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dan00Hawk said:
Nice take downs on the turbos... With the number of STi owners that exchange trunks with WRX owners (in order for the STi owner to get rid of the big wing), it wouldn't shock me that there are a fair number of "STi kills" that were really a regular WRX. Most people who weren't former WRX owners like yourself probably wouldn't notice the difference. :)

Your right. I would bet most GTO owners (or any other car owner) would have reported an STi kill. From a distance, I thought it was a blue STi (it even had gold BBS wheels). But being a former WRX and STi owner, It was pretty clear that it was a standard WRX that was in the process of being made into a fake STi.

I've even known guys to put STi badges on their WRXs. Before the STi came out, a lot of modded WRXs guy did that.

If I was smart I would have flag the guy down and told him I have an STi exhaust for sale. It's just wasting space in the attic. I can't believe I didn't think of that at the time.:confused:

·
I said I was quiet...not nice
473 Posts
I'm surprised at the Turbo beetle. My wife drives one, and while it's a nice car (handles surprisingly well), it's not a particularly fast one. In fact, the 1.8 in the beetle (at least the 2002-2003 years) is 30 horses LESS than the same 1.8t motor in the GTI, 150 vs 180 horses, stock. No one I know races or mods 'em...if they want to go fast they start with a GTI.

Nice kills!

·
F-body owner
1,437 Posts
Didn't WRP have a turbo Beetle before his GTO? I'm guessing his videos back then weren't too inspiring... :D

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tired Iron said:
I'm surprised at the Turbo beetle. My wife drives one, and while it's a nice car (handles surprisingly well), it's not a particularly fast one. In fact, the 1.8 in the beetle (at least the 2002-2003 years) is 30 horses LESS than the same 1.8t motor in the GTI, 150 vs 180 horses, stock. No one I know races or mods 'em...if they want to go fast they start with a GTI.

Nice kills!
First off, there are a lot of people that have no idea how slow their cars really are. I know someone that thinks his stock Mini Cooper S is fast. He brags about beating "fast" cars all the time.
I'm sure this guy was no different. He probably thinks his Beetle Turbo is fast. He also probably didn't know what he was up against. He saw me coming up from behind (fast) and tried to out run me. I caught up and got along side on him doing about 80mph or so and he just floored the gas. I did the same and just walked away from him. I'm sure he had no idea what I was driving. He probably thought his VW would put up a good fight. He got that thing up to about 105 - 110 mph (probably hit electronic speed limiter?) trying to keep up with me before he gave up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts