LS1GTO.com Forums banner

841 - 860 of 892 Posts

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,117 Posts
Temperature presets are great, you can make the gauge linear and useful.

The Transmission preset for gear number on a manual doesn't do anything in my early build 2006. Data point.

·
donde esta la biblioteca
296 Posts
yea, I was watching the temp gauge today as I was riding around and noticed that it just hangs out around the middle of the gauge. Driving around it would drop just below the mid point, at the lights it would hover around the middle. When I stopped it a little bit for lunch, I noticed that it went a little above the middle when I started it back up but dropped right away once the fans kicked on.
I meant to turn on the secret menu to see what it the coolant temp was doing, but completely forgot how to do it. Maybe later ill hook up my diablo to do a little logging to see what temps im working with.
With me unlocking th temp gauge, do I need to set the over heat temp?? or does it keep the original 230* setting (or whatever the preset is)??

·
riding the wave!
2,293 Posts
and under the transmission number, its possible to have it tell you the gear you in on a manual?? is that right??
Yes, it will, but only to gear 4. It shows the number and/or N in the center indicator.

·
donde esta la biblioteca
296 Posts
Yes, it will, but only to gear 4. It shows the number and/or N in the center indicator.
is that just for the 04's or do I have to cycle through the display for it to do that?? I doesn't show up when I have the odometer selected on my 06

also while im on the topic of the gauges... do y'all know what less to use for the display part of the gauges??? not the necessarily the dial and the needles but the digital parts. talked to Chris white and he said he couldn't get them any more and all I can find are topics about the dial LEDs.

·
Administrator
8,198 Posts
The gear indicator is cool at first, but it quickly becomes annoying. Don't even bother with it.

·
Administrator
8,198 Posts
Direct questions about the backlighting of the gauges to Bohnman.

·
donde esta la biblioteca
296 Posts
Direct questions about the backlighting of the gauges to Bohnman.
not sure if he would help me since he does it to make money I believe, and I don't really want to send him my cluster and I can drive to him. ill check him out though

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used VZClusterMod on my 04 M6 a few years back. Somehow it disabled the skipshift (not complaining here!). My concern was, I'm planning to use a Diablosport Intune3 for a canned tune, would using the canned tune reset the settings from when I dabbled with VZClustermod?

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Just got my cable in the mail from China today. So pumped to try out scaling my temp gauge.

·
|G|et |T|urned |O|n
1,594 Posts
Just got my cable in the mail from China today. So pumped to try out scaling my temp gauge.
Warning... [editing my prior response] Choose your scale wisely. As useless as the stock temp gauge seems, when you use vzclustermod to change your temp scale, and the needle is always moving around accurately telling you the temp.... if and when you have an actual failure/temp issue occur, you may not notice that your temp gauge has suddenly jumped one or two hash marks to an unsafe level. Happened to me (water pump serpentine belt broke) and I was driving longer than I should have before I realized the needle had moved a hash or two to the right than usual. You basically become numb to the needle moving around so much. I’ve since put it back to stock/“idiot light” mode. Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Warning... don’t do it. As useless as the stock temp gauge seems, when you use vzclustermod to change your temp scale, and the needle is always moving around accurately telling you the temp.... if and when you have an actual failure/temp issue occur, you may not notice that your temp gauge has suddenly jumped to an unsafe level. Happened to me (water pump serpentine belt broke) and I was driving longer than I should have before I realized the needle had gone slightly more to the right than usual. You basically become numb to the needle moving around so much. I’ve since put it back to stock/“idiot light” mode. Just my $.02
If you scale it properly, you won't have that issue... Mine runs perfectly in the middle with the stock thermostat... 225 is the last non red mark, and is where the stock fans kick on. if it hits the red, that is 235, which is still not hot enough to destroy the engine if you shut it down. also, the check engine light will come on if it overheats as well... those of us used to real gauges always pay attention to them... some people need "idiot" lights...

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,117 Posts
Same here; I adjusted the stock temp gauge and I now know that the middle line is normal operating temperature. Deviation from center by a little bit is normal and follows predictable circumstances. Anything significantly off of center is either warm-up or a bad day.

·
Administrator
8,198 Posts
Yeah, I'll third that. The stock dummy calibration is actually worse for monitoring your temps. It'll jump from the 3/8 hash right up to the red in the snap of a finger if you've an issue. By that time you're already overheating.

I'm having a hard time understanding how anyone wouldn't want an accurately reading temp gauge. It just seems silly to want a gauge that essentially lies to you.

·
Worthless reject member
39,948 Posts
it's high time i used this software.

i've been using torque on my 04 and a dashhawk on my 05 all this time, though.

i wish there was a way to reprogram the cluster to show data in the center display while the car is on. like oil pressure, coolant temp, etc.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'm with you, I really need to jump on this as well.

·
donde esta la biblioteca
296 Posts
If you scale it properly, you won't have that issue... Mine runs perfectly in the middle with the stock thermostat... 225 is the last non red mark, and is where the stock fans kick on. if it hits the red, that is 235, which is still not hot enough to destroy the engine if you shut it down. also, the check engine light will come on if it overheats as well... those of us used to real gauges always pay attention to them... some people need "idiot" lights...
how do you change the scale?? I thought it was already preset on the cludermod program??

mine is ok now since I got my HP tune done. the tuner set it so the fans come on full at 200, fans seem to turn on just above half and drops it to the half way point. LOVING IT. can't wait to flush the system and change my mix to 70/30 water/coolant mix or even 100% water and add some RP coolant lube...still on the fence. don't have to worry about freezing down here in the Florida summers

·
|G|et |T|urned |O|n
1,594 Posts
how do you change the scale?? I thought it was already preset on the cludermod program??
You can use the pre-canned temp values vzcluster mod provides, or you can set whatever values you want for most all of the hash marks, hence setting whatever ‘scale’ you want. I tried several different values/scales—some which give a linear read to the gauge, and some which still allow for a jump when temps get too high. But without numbers on the hash marks, if your scale isn’t linear, then you can forget what hash is what temp... esp. when it you drive the GTO infrequently as I do.

As I mentioned earlier, over time you get used to the needle moving around so much, and you may not realize when it suddenly jumps only one or two hash marks into an unsafe operating temp. With the stock scale, lying to you as it may be doing, you know immediately that there’s a problem as the needle moves a lot past the ‘normal operating temp range’ when it’s parked at the 3/8 hash. After playing around with temps/scales for a while, I set it back to stock. To each his own.

·
1 of 40,757
6,386 Posts
Appreciate the stock temp info. I've been meaning to get this going on my car. I had the cable parts laying around for years, only now got them together and ready to use. Haven't tried it yet. Laptop needs a refresher.

·
Omnicidal maniac
1,311 Posts
Lol, we do call them "idiot lights" for a reason.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Cable,

http://aldlcable.com/products/aldlobd2u.asp

Is this correct cable to use?
No mods or pin pulling?
The one in the picture is ready to go?
Plug the usb end into PC and other into socket under the dash (just to the right of steering column?

Sorry for asking, but just want to make sure.

Which is easiest software to use?

PC OS is win10 or I can use another computer with Win 7 pro

Just making sure I get everything correct and as simple as possible.

Vin on my gto is 06, but other plate shows 05

Your cooperation is greatly appreciated,

841 - 860 of 892 Posts