LS1GTO.com Forums banner

861 - 880 of 903 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Many have posted recently on cluster mods, sadly NOBODY CAN TAKE TIME to answer my question above on which cable is the correct one to buy.

Kinda feel like a red haired stepchild here folks, the only way these forums work and grow is to participate, else they die.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm trying to rescale an 04 cluster so that it reads correctly with an 05 face. The redline is about 500 RPM too low with the swapped faces.

I finally got the cable working and was able to change stuff using the presets last night.

The one post I saw in all of this thread that dealt with rescaling the tach mentioned this:

"The best way to do it would be to swap the 05 faceplate onto the 04 cluster, make sure the MPH light is dimmed, and set the tachometers pulse per rev to 2.15. That was what I saw from a dump of one of the CW clusters that had the faceplate swapped."

How do I do this? I did a read all of the cluster last night as the first thing, so I would have the original information if needed. It's all in hex, and I don't know which parameters are which.

·
1 of 40,757
6,420 Posts
I'm trying to rescale an 04 cluster so that it reads correctly with an 05 face. The redline is about 500 RPM too low with the swapped faces.

I finally got the cable working and was able to change stuff using the presets last night.

The one post I saw in all of this thread that dealt with rescaling the tach mentioned this:

"The best way to do it would be to swap the 05 faceplate onto the 04 cluster, make sure the MPH light is dimmed, and set the tachometers pulse per rev to 2.15. That was what I saw from a dump of one of the CW clusters that had the faceplate swapped."

How do I do this? I did a read all of the cluster last night as the first thing, so I would have the original information if needed. It's all in hex, and I don't know which parameters are which.
I believe the information you need is here: http://1337vending.com/vzclustermod/wiki/Presets

2nd last item on the page.

·
Registered
592 Posts
There is a preset that fixes the small error all the 04s had with the speedo being off. I don't see anything that would adjust the tachometer.

What I'm looking to do is to rescale the tachometer to work with an 05 face. If you look at the photo I posted, the 04 face (front) has a range of 0-7000 rpm. The 05 face (rear) has a range of 0-7500 rpm. In order to do that, they used a slightly smaller scaling on the 05-06 faces compared to the 04 faces. So, my tach reads high by as much as 500 rpm at redline, with lesser errors as rpm decreases. I have verified this error with HP tuners. While the tach shows 6500, HP Tuners only logged 6,000 rpm. I was wondering why it wasn't hitting the fuel cutout...

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #866
Ugh, who was the jerk that wrote these docs!

:eek:hnoes:

I have the same problem in my car, but I just shift at 7200 on the gauge instead of paying for all those expensive valvetrain parts.

I wasn't able to find my old cable but this should work:

Code:
iddqd
unlock
readmem 2
You should get something like
Tacho pulse per rev, 200

If that roughly matches the output, you should be able to run this to update: (D7 = 215 in hex)
Code:
writemem 2=d7
If not, post back with the output and I'll try to decipher it.

I really should move this project over to github...

·
05 Looks, 04 Slow
1,174 Posts
Anyone in Socal (LA/Ventura) area with this, and perhaps willing to help me with mine? I'd love to activate the shift light, and make the temp gauges meaningful (my other option was scan gauges so I could see the real coolant temp). As someone who has had overheating issues with multiple cars before, I'm a bit neurotic about watching temps.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Anyone in Socal (LA/Ventura) area with this, and perhaps willing to help me with mine? I'd love to activate the shift light, and make the temp gauges meaningful (my other option was scan gauges so I could see the real coolant temp). As someone who has had overheating issues with multiple cars before, I'm a bit neurotic about watching temps.
I'm in Studio City if you want to give it a try. PM me.

·
Registered
592 Posts
This is what I see:

Better safe than sorry,, so I'm asking for sure... :)

[edit] I see from looking at an online converter that "C8" in hex is "200" in decimal, and D7 is 215. So, the value C8 in the screenshot is the one that gets changed to D7. What are the rest of the numbers?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #870
Yep I forgot to check the length of the field (2 bytes instead of one) so the correct command is:
Code:
writemem 2=0,d7
Explanation:

Sent to car:
[F2, 0x58, 0x22, 0x0, 0x2, 0x92]
equals
[Cluster ALDL address, 0x55+length of message, read memory command(mode 0x22), addr byte 1, addr byte 2, checksum]

Response from car:
I trimmed the header and checksum in the program, but the relavant part of the response is:

[0x22, 0x0, 0x0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xC8]
[mode 0x22 response, success, addr byte 1, addr byte 2, memory byte 1, memory byte 2]

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,149 Posts
If no one has said it recently, thank you again for decoding this stuff. :clap:

Wish this sort of modification was as simple on the SS.

·
Registered
592 Posts
This is what I see:

Better safe than sorry,, so I'm asking for sure... :)

[edit] I see from looking at an online converter that "C8" in hex is "200" in decimal, and D7 is 215. So, the value C8 in the screenshot is the one that gets changed to D7. What are the rest of the numbers?
A big "Thanks" to you for making this work. It's a nice little add on for these cars!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #873
:thumbs: Thanks

I figure everyone should have the ability to hack on the cluster.

·
Registered
77 Posts
This is still getting use in the UK, so thanks again :)

Is the website down at the moment? I'm trying to send someone a link to get the most recent version and just getting unhelpful messages other than on the home page.

They're getting an Error 6 which I'm guessing may be because it's got the Vauxhall logo in, something you fixed for us ages ago

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #876
Blah, hosed by a trac upgrade. Should be up now...

·
Registered
1 Posts
This isn't quite related to this mod, but I need HELP!!! I am running a stand alone harness in my 2004 GTO and have eliminated the body harness. I am trying to get the cluster (Tach and Speedo Only) to work with the outputs from the 411 ECM. I have a tach and VSS signal from the harness, but cant figure out how to make the cluster read the signal. Please help!!!

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
you can't.
the cluster receives it's data from the BCM on the GMLAN bus

·
Worthless reject member
40,407 Posts
Juat curious as to why you would run a standalone harness on a GTO if you are running the stock-style computer, and why you needed to eliminate the body harness.

861 - 880 of 903 Posts