LS1GTO Forums banner

901 - 920 of 926 Posts

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,339 Posts
Adjusting the coolant temp to be linear does work well, it's just a little slow to react to quick changes.
Re-program it to be linear, then watch it move in comparison to the coolant temps in Engineering Mode/"Secret Menu".

·
GR-RRR!
6,616 Posts
Adjusting the coolant temp to be linear does work well, it's just a little slow to reach to quick changes.
Re-program it to be linear, then watch it move in comparison to the coolant temps in Engineering Mode/"Secret Menu".
Charlie's going to help me reprogram the temp gauge this coming weekend. That's a great idea to compare it to the temp on the secret menu.

·
GR-RRR!
6,616 Posts
Ski/Charlie helped me get started with VZCM this morning. Oh man is this so easy! Reset my temp gauge function. Pretty cool stuff. I did use the Secret Menu temp readout to connect real numbers with positions on the dial.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,339 Posts
Speedometer question for the VZClusterMod community; my 2006 has a speedometer that reads 2MPH high and I'm not sure how to fix it. GPS and radar speed limit signs all show that I'm 2MPH slower than what the gauge cluster says. Both the analog and digital speedometers are 2MPH higher than reality.

Here is where it gets strange and I wonder if VZClusterMod can fix it:
  • If I check HP tuners, the MPH is accurate in VCMScanner (2MPH less than analog speedometer)
  • If I check the "secret menu" diagnostics pages, the speedometer reading is accurate (2MPH less than analog speedometer)

This tells me the ECU is reading properly and the gauge cluster has the capacity to see the accurate number.
Again, this is a 2006, not a 2004, so I'm not sure the "preset speedometer=n" command is appropriate (or safe).

Has anyone tried correcting this on a non-2004?

·
GR-RRR!
6,616 Posts
Speedometer question for the VZClusterMod community; my 2006 has a speedometer that reads 2MPH high and I'm not sure how to fix it. GPS and radar speed limit signs all show that I'm 2MPH slower than what the gauge cluster says. Both the analog and digital speedometers are 2MPH higher than reality.

Here is where it gets strange and I wonder if VZClusterMod can fix it:
  • If I check HP tuners, the MPH is accurate in VCMScanner (2MPH less than analog speedometer)
  • If I check the "secret menu" diagnostics pages, the speedometer reading is accurate (2MPH less than analog speedometer)
This tells me the ECU is reading properly and the gauge cluster has the capacity to see the accurate number.
Again, this is a 2006, not a 2004, so I'm not sure the "preset speedometer=n" command is appropriate (or safe).

Has anyone tried correcting this on a non-2004?
Maybe reaching out to the guy who authored the VZCluster Mod might be the best bet on that one.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #906 ·
It's been a while since I've looked at this stuff, but IIRC there are some scalars for the gauge needles buried somewhere in the calibration.
Code:
    0x9A : lambda x: zip(["Gauge offset-speedo", "Gauge offset-tach",
                              "Gauge offset-fuel", "Gauge offset-temp"],
                            [ hexlist2int(x[0:2]), hexlist2int(x[2:4]),
                               hexlist2int(x[4:6]), hexlist2int(x[6:8])]
                             ),
Probably a readmem 9a would show what those values are.

·
Seriously?
1,693 Posts
So I have read all 46 pages of this thread and am willing to assemble my own cable, download the software and have at it.

I want to change the stock 04 cluster overlay to match my JHP dash gauges that will be arriving next week. I have been in contact with CW for a couple of months but he is too busy with dealership work to handle individual work right now. I can get a 2005 cluster on ebay. About all I want to do is add the shift light, scale the temp gauge to be more accurate and make sure the speedo and tach are accurate. The ABS light turn off will be helpful when I get to installing my stereo system. It will be nice to have the front seats out, run all the wiring with everything hooked up to test it all out and make sure it is good, then put the seats back in and be able to turn off the ABS light.

Sound reasonable?

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
So I have read all 46 pages of this thread and am willing to assemble my own cable, download the software and have at it.

I want to change the stock 04 cluster overlay to match my JHP dash gauges that will be arriving next week. I have been in contact with CW for a couple of months but he is too busy with dealership work to handle individual work right now. I can get a 2005 cluster on ebay. About all I want to do is add the shift light, scale the temp gauge to be more accurate and make sure the speedo and tach are accurate. The ABS light turn off will be helpful when I get to installing my stereo system. It will be nice to have the front seats out, run all the wiring with everything hooked up to test it all out and make sure it is good, then put the seats back in and be able to turn off the ABS light.

Sound reasonable?
Not sure if seats out cause the srs light to come on and then need resetting?

·
Seriously?
1,693 Posts
Not sure if seats out cause the srs light to come on and then need resetting?
I have read that if you power up the car with seats disconnected and out of the car, it will trigger the airbag light to come on. Without the VZ software, you need a Tech 2 to turn it off. For most of us, that means a trip to the dealer or a shop with one.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Curious if anyone else experienced this. Got to doing the cluster program today, everything went very easy thanks to the great documentation on the process. My question is on the shift light presets. I followed the example in the 1337vending presets page, and wrote 4000,6000,6250,6250,6250,6200 but it actually wrote 4000,6000,6200,6200,6200,6200.
Tried twice, seems it doesn’t like 50 rpm increments.
2005 M6
GTO

·
Seriously?
1,693 Posts
Curious if anyone else experienced this. Got to doing the cluster program today, everything went very easy thanks to the great documentation on the process. My question is on the shift light presets. I followed the example in the 1337vending presets page, and wrote 4000,6000,6250,6250,6250,6200 but it actually wrote 4000,6000,6200,6200,6200,6200.
Tried twice, seems it doesn’t like 50 rpm increments.
2005 M6 View attachment 508589 GTO
I think I read somewhere, maybe in this read, that 50 increments won't work... gotta be hundreds only. Not 100% sure, but I think someone else tried that and it was confirmed that xx50 won't work.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think I read somewhere, maybe in this read, that 50 increments won't work... gotta be hundreds only. Not 100% sure, but I think someone else tried that and it was confirmed that xx50 won't work.
Thanks, obviously didn’t read all 46 pages, just followed the web site examples

·
Registered
54 Posts
I will add that I read everything, purchased the cable in the link earlier in this thread, and used it today for the first time. Was only looking to get rid of DRL's for now and worked like a charm. It read the heartbeat, then did what I wanted it to do without issue. Only issue I had was digging through Windows 10 ( F'ing HATE windows 10 but it's what my laptop uses) to find the comport assigned to the cable. Once I got past that, my Windows 10 laptop worked flawlessly. Oh...and used the last version of VZclustermod .30

·
Seriously?
1,693 Posts
I will add that I read everything, purchased the cable in the link earlier in this thread, and used it today for the first time. Was only looking to get rid of DRL's for now and worked like a charm. It read the heartbeat, then did what I wanted it to do without issue. Only issue I had was digging through Windows 10 ( F'ing HATE windows 10 but it's what my laptop uses) to find the comport assigned to the cable. Once I got past that, my Windows 10 laptop worked flawlessly. Oh...and used the last version of VZ beta...(.30/3.0)
This is good to know as I ordered the same cable this past weekend. I got a 2005 cluster on ebay cheap and that delivered last week. My JHP gauge pod is almost ready for paint so I will be ready before too long to get this project done.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is good to know as I ordered the same cable this past weekend. I got a 2005 cluster on ebay cheap and that delivered last week. My JHP gauge pod is almost ready for paint so I will be ready before too long to get this project done.
I should have noted I purchased the thumb drive offered on the site along with the cable to get the proper drivers for the cable. Not sure if Win 10 would have found them anyway but figured better safe than sorry.

·
Seriously?
1,693 Posts
I did not order the thumb drive so I guess I will be relying on Win10 to figure it out.

I am only doing this because I wanted my JHP gauges to read in lbs and not bars. I want everything to match so I got the 2005 cluster on ebay for its gauge face. I will turn on the shift light and scale the temp gauge as well.

I didn't want to make the time to make my own cable because I have too much going on at the moment. So hopefully when I get all of my parts together, I can take a day and work on the car. It will be the JHP gauge install, 2006 door lock switch install, and rewire the Gentex mirror map lights to the door triggers to solve my dilemma with that. After this, it will be the stereo system overhaul.

·
GR-RRR!
6,616 Posts
I did not order the thumb drive so I guess I will be relying on Win10 to figure it out.

I am only doing this because I wanted my JHP gauges to read in lbs and not bars. I want everything to match so I got the 2005 cluster on ebay for its gauge face. I will turn on the shift light and scale the temp gauge as well.

I didn't want to make the time to make my own cable because I have too much going on at the moment. So hopefully when I get all of my parts together, I can take a day and work on the car. It will be the JHP gauge install, 2006 door lock switch install, and rewire the Gentex mirror map lights to the door triggers to solve my dilemma with that. After this, it will be the stereo system overhaul.
I think the only real difference between reading oil pressure in pounds vs. bars is the face of the gauges. I don't think there is any settings in the car that needs to be adjusted to make the pod gauges read correct.

·
Seriously?
1,693 Posts
I think the only real difference between reading oil pressure in pounds vs. bars is the face of the gauges. I don't think there is any settings in the car that needs to be adjusted to make the pod gauges read correct.
Correct... I just wanted matching fonts on the JHPs and my instrument cluster. The VZ software will rescale the tach to read right.

·
GR-RRR!
6,616 Posts
Correct... I just wanted matching fonts on the JHPs and my instrument cluster. The VZ software will rescale the tach to read right.
The tach? I thought the problem with the 04s was the speedometer settings and the MPH light searchlight brightness. Unless you are just talking about resetting the redline.

901 - 920 of 926 Posts